'Oily Towers' ... all the latest from Oil City Pickups

What's Hot

Comments

• koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4137
    Ash what would be the brightest neck pickup you do? 
    All my guitars have one bridge pickup, but fancy a neck pickup for my tele but not a tele type, what would you suggest?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10390
    tFB Trader
    Ooooooooo that's a tricky one ... either my Cow-T-Rons ... or my Winterizer Firebird pickup. Firebird has a little more output and a more chunky tone in the mids. Cow-T-Ron is normal bucker form factor ... and of course a Firebird pickup is ... er ... firebird size!
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4137
    How can you make one sharper sounding?
    I would like something really clear sounding, not high gain, but clarity, which is important with a tele, as I normally play quite cleanish. Any thoughts appreciated, or would it be better me give you a ring sometime?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2014 tFB Trader
    I wouldn't have thought you'd want to go much sharper than a Cow-T-Ron at full chat through a 500k pot or 1meg if you have earwax problems :-)
    Do gi-us a bell ... I always like talking face to ear ... um ?
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7419
    On that theme of a slightly different neck pickup for Tele : I was looking at the Lollar Royal T - effectively a Strat pickup in a Tele neck pickup chassis - is that something you'd consider Ash?

Tim
    Red ones are better. 
    tFB Trader
    I already do one pretty much like that, the Hardman. that has the Strat/SRV power and clang ... and can be had to custom order open topped .... either string wound ...or for that matter with the same covers as Jason's with a couple of weeks notice (We both use the same US supplier). I also do the Topless Angel ... to special order ... that's one of my alnico 3 Honkytonk angel units string wrapped for an early Strat-alike tone

• koneguitarist;244422" said:
    How can you make one sharper sounding?

I would like something really clear sounding, not high gain, but clarity, which is important with a tele, as I normally play quite cleanish. Any thoughts appreciated, or would it be better me give you a ring sometime?
    The cow t Ron in my jazzmaster is very clear - super string definition and bright. It's punchy, despite its low output - probably my favourite pickup so far out of everything, and stupidly versatile.

I've no doubt I'll get another pair for the Ltd (will look odd, I know), which will be tuned BADGBE, for heavy rock. I reckon the clarity will help tame the bassiness from the low b and give it a cool baritone esque sound.
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 486
    Ash, just wanted to thank you for the speed with which you got the Blitz Spirit I order on Saturday night to me.  It'll soon be sat in the neck position of my PRS SE 245 along with a NightFighter at the bridge.  My only grumble is that your deliveries always arrive on a Wednesday so I have to wait a full week before I try them out with the band!
    tFB Trader
    Lol I post out Monday morning ... what can I say lol :-)

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7419
    TheGuitarWeasel;245120" said:
    I already do one pretty much like that, the Hardman. that has the Strat/SRV power and clang ... and can be had to custom order open topped .... either string wound ...or for that matter with the same covers as Jason's with a couple of weeks notice (We both use the same US supplier). I also do the Topless Angel ... to special order ... that's one of my alnico 3 Honkytonk angel units string wrapped for an early Strat-alike tone
    Cool
    Red ones are better. 
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2375
    I don't suppose you have a demo anywhere of the Firebird pickups in action? :)
    tFB Trader
    hope to have one soon .... very hectic with loads of work and a new pickup range to unveil shortly!

• Could you do a HB with black bobbins and gold polepeices/screws?
    The artist formerly known as WeAre138 at MusicRadar
    tFB Trader

Could you do a HB with black bobbins and gold polepeices/screws?
    I can do anything me :-)
    Yeh sure ... Most hardware bobbin combos are either in stock or I can get the bits in a few days

• SamgbSamgb Frets: 774

Hi Ash

Dont know if you saw my thread on tarting up my old Epi Sg(actually there are now two of us doing the same). Obviously, your advocates have sprung into action!

What would you recommend as a decent combo? I dont necessarily want that normal humbucker sound - ive got that covered with SD 59s in a LP. The SG is a very 'middy' guitar anyway so to counterbalance id like a bit of clang and or single coil bite. Someone recommended a Cow-T-Ron which sounds ideal in the bridge but id probably like something different in the neck - a Wide Range or a P90 maybe? Would the balance be right?

Thanks    

tFB Trader
    I'd go the other way ... a humbucker sized P90 in the bridge ... and a Cow-T-Ron in neck duty! Hey presto perfect balance!

• Hiya Ash, they've arrived! I'll screw them into the guitar today and solder it all up, and drop the guitar off to a recommended tech at the weekend. Fingers crossed it'll be sorted soon and I can report back!
    I'd go the other way ... a humbucker sized P90 in the bridge ... and a Cow-T-Ron in neck duty! Hey presto perfect balance!
    Thanks for that advice. The possibilities being endless, i change my mind from one day to the next on this. Tell me of your Brassknuckle - would that be a good match with one of your HB P90s(or a Smooth one) in the neck?
    tFB Trader
    The BrassKnuckle is a bridge pickup that matches pretty well with any sort of neck unit. Bit like a Fender Wide Range ... but splittable. Big and fat on both coils ... well huge and fat really ... with sparkling tops and big kicking bottom end. Capable of driving an amp really hard on both coils ... and surprisingly hard on one! Very 'Tele' on one coil.

The BrassKnuckle is a bridge pickup that matches pretty well with any sort of neck unit. Bit like a Fender Wide Range ... but splittable. Big and fat on both coils ... well huge and fat really ... with sparkling tops and big kicking bottom end. Capable of driving an amp really hard on both coils ... and surprisingly hard on one! Very 'Tele' on one coil.

Thanks for the advice Ash. I just splashed for some Tonerider Rebel 90s im afraid. I had a budget of about £80 so it was either one of your im sure much better handwound beauties or a pair of these. If these improve my SG as much as i think they could i may treat my strat to something more choice!

Anyway, your tonal expertise and advice was appreciated.