Why is it that...

What's Hot
HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
...just about every electric guitar I have ever seen has individual saddles that allow strings to be adjusted for both height and length. However, when it comes to acoustics there is either very little or no means of easy adjustment. Surely on an acoustic you can't hide behind effects and/or distortion and would therefore expect intonation to be more important? My guess (and it is only a guess and therefore probably wrong) is that the sound of an acoustic is more harmonically rich and complex so that trying to achieve perfect intonation is pretty pointless. Anyone know?
I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10694
    I think it's because no one wants metal on their acoustics.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Frets: 136
    edited September 2013
    Tone transfer primarily. In the mid/late 60s Gibson produced acoustics which had adjustable bridges but generally it is thought that a well cut single saddle maximises the strings' vibrations and give the best sound. Most modern acoustics have some degree of intonation correction built into the saddle.

Even electrics (like PRS's stop-tail) which lack individual height/length adjustment, give very accurate intonation. Given that most acoustic players tend not to venture up the dusty end too often, the factory positioning of the bridge and compensation in the saddle usually produces a perfectly acceptable level of accuracy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10390
    tFB Trader
    I had a fantastic bridge on an old Hofner archtop years ago: it was rosewood with several slots cut in it crossways and short lengths of fret wire pushed into the slots under each string. Obviously not really a practical a solution for normal acoustics ... but I've always thought it was an elegant idea ... so I found a pic :)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• vizviz Frets: 10694
    edited September 2013
    That is really cool. Why isn't it a practical solution? Because they'd get lost I suppose?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    edited September 2013
    As richardhomer said, Gibson tried this in the 1960s...

Yamaha did in the 70s as well.

The common consensus among acoustic players was that they sounded shite - you see a lot of old Gibson Doves with them filled in with new wood and a conventional saddle fitted.

In fact, if you get the intonation dead on, or very close - which is quite easy to do, although you may have to cut the top edge of the saddle into a non-straight line as many makers now do, or use a split-saddle arrangement like Takamine and Lowden did - there's really no need anyway, you can often get it spot on to the point it never needs to be changed, so an adjustable bridge is pointless.

Even if not, as you suggest it's less noticeable on an acoustic if it's slightly out because the harmonic richness tends to cover it, and you're not using distortion - which makes bad intonation more noticeable because it mashes the not-quite-identical frequencies together and amplifies the 'beat' (difference) frequency.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein