Bass in Reaper

it seems i cant get a bass sound inReaper without latency. Ive tred Reapitch down 1 octave and the various pitch shifters with reaper and cant get the bass to work without latency. Any ideas with this problem. I cant be buying a bass guitar any time soon. Any free/cheap plugins etc cheers!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26581
    edited June 2014
    JAYJO said:
    it seems i cant get a bass sound inReaper without latency. Ive tred Reapitch down 1 octave and the various pitch shifters with reaper and cant get the bass to work without latency. Any ideas with this problem. I cant be buying a bass guitar any time soon. Any free/cheap plugins etc cheers!
    Play it at normal pitch on your guitar, then add the pitch shift effect afterwards...

EDIT: Alternatively, this thread might have some useful suggestions in it.
    <space for hire>
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    JAYJO said:
    Play it at normal pitch on your guitar, then add the pitch shift effect afterwards...

EDIT: Alternatively, this thread might have some useful suggestions in it.
    I didnt think of that! I will have a go at that tonight, thanks a lot mate!
  • ewalewal Frets: 2583
    A good place to go if you're on the hunt for a VST plug-in is www.kvraudio.com. They've got a searchable plug-ins database which is broken down in to free and commercial. The KVR Plugin Ranks tables are particularly useful.

For bass, an alternative to pitch shifting your guitar might be to use something like Synth1 with one of the E. Bass patches. It really depends on the type of music your doing, but this can work if the bass line is not complicated and is sitting quite low in the mix. I quite often use this when I'm sketching out ideas, before breaking out the bass guitar. And you don't necessarily need a midi keyboard to use a VST Instrument (although it helps) as you can do a lot with the Reaper Midi Editor.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience