MIJ Ibanez S Prices

What's Hot
len62len62 Frets: 6

I've been on the lookout for a nice MIJ S series and was wondering about the pricing of these guitars.

For example there is an Ibanez Prestige s5470F on ebay for £725, this price feels a bit high to me.

Considering I am after something like an S540QS, any thoughts/opinions on pricing and sourcing in the UK Ibanez fans? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Have you checked out @RichardJ s S series he has in the classified?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    edited June 2014
    Cheers @meltedbuzzbox.  The build quality and finish on the Prestige models is very high indeed and they should command a decent price.  Mine is a Premium model and shares some features of the Prestige's.  I suppose you could almost compare the higher Standard, Premium and Prestige to Fender's Standard, Deluxe and Custom Shop in terms of quality.

edit. My Premium is easily as well if not better made and finished than the 2010 American Deluxe Strat I had. Seriously.
  • Richardj said:

edit. My Premium is easily as well if not better made and finished than the 2010 American Deluxe Strat I had. Seriously.
    From the ones I've tried (admittedly, only two), the premium series is *very* well made.  I can easily believe that, though even the 'boggo' Ibanez stuff is normally really well put together.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    You really can knock an Ibanez in terms of quality and pricing

Appearance is another thing.

I always like an Ibanez. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • len62len62 Frets: 6
    Have you checked out @RichardJ s S series he has in the classified?

Yes saw that one, not for me though, I'm after something a bit older and cheaper. I recently got out bid on a MIJ S540QS thanks to automatic bidding and not being able to monitor the end of the auction. It went for £431 + p&p, kicking myself for missing that one.

• SquireJapanSquireJapan Frets: 698
    Howdy - it looks like you're after something a bit more blingy, but I have a Japanese S series in the classifieds. Happy to take an offer on it so long as it goes to a good home :)

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/13364/fs-ft-ibanez-s540-original-custom-made-japanese-run-trades-welcome#latest
    That is a properly nice S!
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2877
    A good mate of mine sold a jap s540fm recently on ebay for about £550 without the original case.
    Howdy - it looks like you're after something a bit more blingy, but I have a Japanese S series in the classifieds. Happy to take an offer on it so long as it goes to a good home :)

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/13364/fs-ft-ibanez-s540-original-custom-made-japanese-run-trades-welcome#latest

Nice, if that had an AANJ I'd probably give it a go. So far all the ones I've tried have had the AANJ and I preferred that to the square heel joints on the Fenders I've had over the years. I've not had a chance to try a square heeled Ibanez yet though.

This is the one that got away (if the link works) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121323698479?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    edited June 2014 tFB Trader
    I have one of the fairly rare SF470 models from the mid 90s that has been somewhat improved by my own hand
    The mahogany body has a Quilted (pomel) Sapele veneer front and back so that it's hard to tell it's not a solid quilted piece of wood
    Sadly not getting played much which is a trajedy as it plays amazingly well
    Has a 24.75" scale  and a slim neckwith Dunlop 600 frets and an Earvana nut

Pickups are currently Bare Knuckle - Cold Sweat & Painkiller I think with a 3 way switch vol and tone

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I wouldn't overlook the Korean made models. I have a 2005 SA model that is very well put together and finished, amazingly so for it's price point.  I had a Korean S470DXQM, upgraded with Duncans, and from what I can remember that certainly wasn't shabby either.
    blueskunk said:
    A good mate of mine sold a jap s540fm recently on ebay for about £550 without the original case.
    Missed that one, so much for the ebay email alerts. I doubt I'd have gone as far as £550 though.

Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

FelineGuitars;258869" said:

Saw that one, well out of my price range. Ticks all the boxes though.
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    I bought a S2540 about 3 months ago..for £500. I think I paid as much as its worth maybe even paid top dollar...but I like it and I know they were over grand when out in 2000. I sold an S540FM about 3 yrs ago now that I'd paid a grand for back in '99...upgraded the buckers to Fred n Paf Pro and it was near mint n still couldn't get close to £500 for it...think I eventually let it go for around £400. Someone got a bargain there methinks. I took ages to get even that and had to learn that used Ibanez no matter how good just don't hold their money..sadly. Still that said a guitar is worth what someone is willing to pay and a guitar just like my S540FM sold for £750 on ebay a couple of months ago...even I was gobsmacked to see it sell so high! Funny ole world eh! I think it being an old but as new guitar still helped it somewhat.  
    siraxeman said:
    I bought a S2540 about 3 months ago..for £500.
    I saw the pic when you posted it in the guitar swapsies thread . I was mighty jealous.
    @FelineGuitars, that is lovely!  how different does it feel with the shorter scale?  That looks a bit tempting to try and track one down.
    Richardj said:
    @FelineGuitars, that is lovely!  how different does it feel with the shorter scale?  That looks a bit tempting to try and track one down.

The quilted sapele tops are nice. A quick look at the Ibanez S portal says it's a Viper neck? Another Ibanez variation I was completely

ignorant about till today.

I'd sell this one for just shy of a grand
    Spent quite a lot of time and money making this one as pretty and fab as it is now

Feel wise it's a bit like a slender neck SG which is really nice if you like that sort of thing

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

I'm watching this one on ebay atm.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ibanez-Custom-540S-1996-Guitar-Excellent-Condition-made-in-Japan-FUJIGEN-/291164746911?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item43cac5749f

Seller says it's a 1996 model, the serial number says its a 1992 model. Can't find another 540s of that year in that finish either, also can't find confirmation in the 1992 catalogue that the 540s has a wizard neck.

Hmmm.