NPD: Mojo Pickups Mojo'Trons

What's Hot
guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4134
edited June 2014 in Guitar
I was going to add these into my modding thread but thought they deserve a post of their own.

As some of you know, I was a TV Jones dealer for a while and have my hands (& ears) on most of their range as a result. My favourites of the lot are the Super'Tron set which have a slightly higher output than a typical TV Classic/Filter'Tron, and also sound a little fuller & clearer to my ears at least. 

I liked the sound of the Chris Cornell 335-sig that was released last year and it gave me the idea to add some 'Trons to my Chibson before I'd even ordered the guitar, so last week I got in touch with Mojo Pickups and ordered a set of his HB-sized Mojo'Trons (he also offers drop-in filter'tron sized replacements). I couldn't pass up the chance to add the glitter-tops to the bobbins either - check out his facebook page, there's loads of styles on offer.

Anyway, I installed them nice and easily in about 20 minutes total (after adding the female bullet connectors to my existing wiring loom) and then plugged them in. These are easily as good as any other classic Filter'Tron pickup I've heard*; that typical character of them is there in spades, as is my favourite aspect of 'Trons and that is simply how touch-sensitive they are. I really need to sort some recording equipment out at some point - my phone doesn't come close to capturing how it sounds in person!

These replaced a set of Gibson 490/498's so there was quite a change in tone, the output is also slightly lower with these but I can compensate for that very easily with my amp.

It's early days for sure but I think this is the beginning of a beautiful relationship. B-)

*For those that remember, I was a TV Jones dealer for a while and have had most of their range through my hands & ears in the past. Great pickups for sure, but too expensive in the UK I'm afraid. Mojo's & Oil City's offerings are much cheaper!
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• lamf68lamf68 Frets: 851
    If I've said it once it's a hundred times, Mojo Pickups are the single best  pickups being made in the UK.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2357
    Sweet :D
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    lamf68 said:
    If I've said it once it's a hundred times, Mojo Pickups are the single best  pickups being made in the UK.
    I have to give it to Marc at Mojo he does make a good pickup. I have several sets of his.

I know Ash on here is held in high regard as well. I am yet to try some oil city pickups though
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • ajaxajax Frets: 76
    Dunno about the mojo ones, but everybody can use a semi hollow with filtertrons in their arsenal. Mine, an early 70s Ibanez 335 'lawsuit' with TV Jones's.  V nice.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    ajax said:
    Dunno about the mojo ones, but everybody can use a semi hollow with filtertrons in their arsenal. Mine, an early 70s Ibanez 335 'lawsuit' with TV Jones's.  V nice.
    Ibanez had one "lawsuit" guitar, it was the destroyer

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    edited June 2014
    I've had pickups from both Marc and Ash - I have nothing but enthusiasm for them, both just really nice people who'll sort you out with something you'll like if you take the time to email them a playlist and ask for advice. I must admit that I have special love for Mojo Pickups' affinity for making cool/weird looking pickups. I like cool/weird looking stuff. See one zebra PAF, you've seen 'em all, y'knoooow? 

I prefer the look of Mojo's humbucker-sized 'tron rounded pickup covers to the squarer ones on Oil City's. I'm sure other people prefer the opposite, but I'm just sayin'. In case it's useful. ;) 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16671
    EdGrip said:

I prefer the look of Mojo's humbucker-sized 'tron rounded pickup covers to the squarer ones on Oil City's. I'm sure other people prefer the opposite, but I'm just sayin'. In case it's useful. ;) 

Ash does offer both styles

http://www.oilcitypickups.co.uk/gretschstyle.html

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom