Classical MOT question

What's Hot
Hey guys,
I am wanting to give my classical guitar a good old clean and brush up.
I know its not an issue with anything with a truss rod to remove all strings at same time and do whatever you will.
Am I safe to do this with a classical??
They dont have a truss rod to keep the neck straight.
I want to feed the fretboard and clean and polish the frets.  Then restring with some new strings.
Any advice will be appreciated.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72327
    edited June 2014
    Totally safe.

Actually if anything it's taking the strings off a guitar *with* a truss rod, and leaving it for a long time like that (without loosening the rod) which can potentially cause trouble, since the rod will then bow the neck back.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24803
    edited June 2014
    One thing that's worth remembering; if a guitar is strong enough to withstand strings tuned to concert pitch, it is unlikely to be so delicate that taking then off for a short time will cause any harm...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Classical string tension is very low anyway. Before the strings went on it was in one piece, so I suspect it will be fine. Make sure and polish the frets. If you´ve never had all the strings off before I´d hate to think how oxidised and manky they will be.
  • BilliBobBilliBob Frets: 19
    Just found it does have a truss rod.  Yes indeed the frets are minging.  Have only just done my Tele and Tak steel string after 14 yrs.  Classical same age and never polished frets.  They do look like brand new and play awesome too.
    I was pushed into doing it when after a good lay off was asked to play in blues band and when I saw my Tele, with gunky green frets, I had to do something.  I sweat a lot when playing thru my hands, I kill strings fast.
    All good though now.  Just classical to go.