Fresher Straighter MIJ Stratocaster ... any info appreciated!

What's Hot
4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
edited June 2014 in Guitar tFB Trader
HI guys,

Got this guitar in a trade, without knowing too much about it. It's a Fresher Straighter Stratocaster. Seems like a decently built guitar, body is three pieces of nice looking wood (anyone know what wood this is?). Neck is the thickest neck I've every played, seriously baseball bat like, but I actually find it pretty comfortable. It's a bit beat up, few dings and chips, but it's solid, has character and plays well. Electronics are just a 3-way rather than 5-way switch, but it puts out some great tones.

Just wondered if anyone has experience with these guitars, any good? Rough value? I know the older Japanese built instruments are becoming more popular at the moment, and are of a fairly decent quality. Pics below.

Thanks!

Dan

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    edited June 2014
    Sen (Japanese ash) body, mid to late 1970s, probably made by Matsumoku from the short-frame switch and strap buttons.

Unfortunately the short-frame switch means you can't put in a 5-way without butchering the guard (don't!), and short-frame 5-ways are *very* rare and hard to come by. Better to modify the circuitry for a blend pot or something if you really want the in-between sounds - you can do that with the existing parts and actually get six sounds (including bridge+neck if you want).

Could do with a new nut :).

Rough value - not high since it's not one of the more sought-after brands even if it's Matsumoku, probably between £100 and £200 to the right buyer.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    Thanks for the info. Nut is actually sound, what looks like a crack in the picture is actually just a line of varnish residue.

Probably won't be modding it, I already have a nice strat, so I'll keep this one stock. Any idea of a ballpark value of I do decide to move it on?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Oh, I see you put that above lol ... thanks!
    I think I edited it about the same time you replied :).

They did actually come with a variety of amusing names - all basically the same guitar - I hadn't seen "Fresher Straighter" before though. A lot of them now seem to have no name, either they were sold like that or embarrassed owners removed them. There was one in the shop I work for recently, priced at £169.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited June 2014 tFB Trader
    Interesting. Apparently James brown's guitarist used one. For what it's worth.

Now I'm in two minds whether to keep it as it is, or use it as a platform for modding. Hmmm.
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    I think that's fab, especially without the twee in-between sounds.

Good score :)
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
    That looks very cool. Not a brand I've seen before either.
  • kelvinburnkelvinburn Frets: 156
    I have a bit of a thing for tatty old MIJ guitars, 3 currently. Good score. Dibs if you move it on?
    tFB Trader
    Sent you a Pm kelvin. :-)
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2347
    Nice :D

LOL at "Fresher Straighter" :))
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12346
    A mate of mine had one. The logo is pretty convincing at a distance, well at least it fooled me the first time I saw it. His was massively heavy and he eventually traded it for a Tokai Strat . Think he got the better end of the bargain. :)
    edited June 2014
    boogieman said:
    A mate of mine had one. The logo is pretty convincing at a distance, well at least it fooled me the first time I saw it. His was massively heavy and he eventually traded it for a Tokai Strat . Think he got the better end of the bargain. :)
    The wood varies hugely in weight.

I've owned two near-identical Matsumoku-made fretless P-Bass copies from this era (one Maya, one no-name) - same woods, same finish even - but one was among the heaviest P-Basses I've ever played and the other among the lightest… the heavy one was probably nearly twice the weight of the light one (I didn't weigh the heavy one, but the light one was just under 8lbs) and the body may have literally been more than double the weight since the necks were more likely to be close to the same.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2014
    ICBM;261821" said:
    boogieman said:

The wood varies hugely in weight.

I've owned two near-identical Matsumoku-made fretless P-Bass copies from this era (one Maya, one no-name) - same woods, same finish even - but one was among the heaviest P-Basses I've ever played and the other among the lightest… the heavy one was probably nearly twice the weight of the light one (I didn't weigh the heavy one, but the light one was just under 8lbs) and the body may have literally been more than double the weight since the necks were more likely to be close to the same.
    I had a natural finish ash bodied 78 Fender Strat that was very heavy too. Not sure if it's an urban myth but the story I heard was that Fender forgot to specify swamp ash at the time of order and got a mixed bunch of just "ash".
    boogieman said:
    I had a natural finish ash bodied 78 Fender Strat that was very heavy too. Not sure if it's an urban myth but the story I heard was that Fender forgot to specify swamp ash at the time of order and got a mixed bunch of just "ash".
    Not forgot - CBS accountant types trying to save money without understanding why the weight was important. Almost all late-70s Fenders are heavy, but you do occasionally get a lighter one. Although if you do, it's wise to look under the pickguard and check that it hasn't been routed for three humbuckers and some extra circuitry…

… like one a friend of mine bought! :)

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Ha ha, excellent! >:D<
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

@4144Effects

I cannot see the photos due the works computer banning it as a private source, but are you connected to Badlands Guitar shop in Brighton?

I only ask as they have one in there.

tFB Trader
    Nope, I'm from Queensbury, up in West Yorkshire. Bit of a distance from Brighton :)
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

Have a look at the Badlands guitar website, might give you some more information.