RECOMMENDATIONS FOR JAZZ BASS PICKUP REPLACEMENTS?

KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307

I purchased a new, cheap (£150) Ibanez GSR180 bass last year and I like the playability of it and dimensions. However, I think the pickups, Ibanez's own PSNDJ Neck and Bridge (Passive), are a bit lucklustre.

Any recommended, good, versatile replacements that allow for all styles (funk, pop and rock)? I realise the cost of pickups and fitting them might get dangerously close to it's value, but I thought I'd see what's out there that's decent, and preferably cheap.

Cheers

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72329
    The Duncan Basslines Hot Stacks are excellent, not too expensive and hum-cancelling. Or you could mix a Hot Stack in the bridge with a Classic Stack in the neck for a bit more versatility.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1265
    Seymour Duncan Quarterpounders are pretty versatile and can be picked up s/h fairly cheaply - I have one in the bridge position of my P/J Squier Precision and it's great.
    If you wanted to go 'new', then Tonerider pickups are great and not pricey. I don't have any experience of their Jazz Bass pickups but I put one in the 'P' position of my Squier. I took a punt on the Tonerider because I couldn't find a Seymour Duncan to go with the Quarterpounder bridge p/u at a cheap enough price. The Tonerider more than holds it's own alongside the Duncan.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited August 2014
    Cheers chaps. Any more suggestions?