Yamaha SA2200

What's Hot
ElxElx Frets: 412
Guys, is this a good price? Those of you who know a thing or two about this model, apparently it's very popular...

I want to try something different and I am very attracted to this...

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24809
    Tone World used to do those - they were £1395 IIRC.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    SA2200 = superb guitar I've got one.

The price looks like RRP (IIRC I paid £1100 a few years ago), but the SA2200 is definitely £1.5ks worth of good guitar. You may get a better deal elsewhere though.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • agibboagibbo Frets: 102
    I have an old Yamaha SA1000 and SA800, and both are excellent guitars. That one doesn't seem particularly cheap though. There are two on ebay at the moment in near mint condition for considerably less.

As a semi I wouldn't hesitate in recommending one, although from my experience the older ones have a bit more mojo to them!
  • ElxElx Frets: 412
    I hate being back at the office, I was away for 2 weeks doing field work, never thought about guitars...as soon as I am back in this stupid chair I have way too much time on my hands...I am very close to buying one now, and I will probably spend the rest of the afternoon trying to figure out a way to explain to my wife that yes, I do need another guitar....
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11878

Elx said:
    I hate being back at the office, I was away for 2 weeks doing field work, never thought about guitars...as soon as I am back in this stupid chair I have way too much time on my hands...I am very close to buying one now, and I will probably spend the rest of the afternoon trying to figure out a way to explain to my wife that yes, I do need another guitar....
    Haha, what else do you have? do you have anything similar like a 335?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2014
    The tone of a 335 is rather unlike that of the SA2200. The 335 is mellow, almost dark by comparison. The SA2200 seems brighter than a 335. Plus its coil splits make it more versatile.

EDIT I'm not knocking the 335, I've got one of those too. I guess I'm trying to say you should have both ;)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited June 2014
    In 2007 I looked into a SA2200 when was shopping for a Gibson 335... on closer inspection of the spec* I concluded it was very similar to my SG2000s (same PUPS and hardware) and after trying a 335 in store, I came home to play the SG2000s and found it indeed wasn't far off in tonal character - if anything, my SG2000s maybe a little more to my liking.

However, I later manoeuvred a great deal at Andetons for a Gibson 335 and that concluded proceedings for me... £1150 for a new Cherry (albeit 6 weeks lead time from USA!)... not to be sniffed at!

*era spec of my SG2000s and the SA series

Now I have both I can say that the SG2000s can indeed get near the 335 for bright/attack and punch... The 335 however cannot do coil taps (and thus Telecaster tones) and monster Les Paul killing like the SG2000s can!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Elx said:
    Haha, what else do you have? do you have anything similar like a 335?
    No, this would be my first guitar of this type. I'm maturing, as a person and as a player and I'm exploring other styles ;) Just found one here,

He says it's basically brand new...for 1200 EUR. I will send him an email now...
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1621
    lovely guitars. I have an SA800. That new price seems steep though.

• ROOGROOG Frets: 557
    Wish I'd bought the one that was hanging up in my local guitar shop, they were asking for £1200, looked new. 

• daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    There's one at Back Alley Music in Mold. £1200 I think but don't quote me

• ElxElx Frets: 412
    So...

I bought one. Mint condition for 1100 EUR locally. I'll say this... If Gibson can charge 4000 EUR or more for a 1959 Custom Shop Es 335 reissues (I tried a few in a local shop) Yamaha could charge 10,000 for SA2200. Seriously, I don't remember ever playing a guitar of such quality. Pics to follow tonight... 
    @Elx Excellent GAS Sir! :D
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Nice one,  good deal too,  looking forward to the pictures    :)

• BasherBasher Frets: 1206
    Nice. I also bought a mint one last year for £900ish. I would have preferred the violin finish model and I wish it had a chunkier neck with a slightly narrower fretboard but you can't have everything (at least not this side of three grand).

It's become my "go to" "Gibson" style guitar and that's despite owning two historic Les Pauls. I thought I'd use the coil taps more but I tend to just roll back the humbucker volumes. If money were no object I'd have a bigsby put on it and have one of the push/push pots converted to throw the pickups out-of-phase. That said, if money were no object I'd get a cherry red ES345.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• Elx said:
    So...

I bought one. Mint condition for 1100 EUR locally. I'll say this... If Gibson can charge 4000 EUR or more for a 1959 Custom Shop Es 335 reissues (I tried a few in a local shop) Yamaha could charge 10,000 for SA2200. Seriously, I don't remember ever playing a guitar of such quality. Pics to follow tonight... 
    Nice one. They are stunning guitars. 
    @Basher Sacriledge! How dare you even think of Bigbsy-ising one of these lovely instruments!!! You'd absolutely spoil it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    I wish I could grow them like that in my garden...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I wish I could grow them like that in my garden...
    I didn't realise they were growable like that. I've been trying to breed them, maybe that's where I've gone wrong ...