Advice - Silver series Squier strats...

What's Hot
dampoldmandampoldman Frets: 44
Hi all, 

I've been after a Strat for a while and, as I'm moving house and not doing the 'metal' thing so much any more, wanted to trade in my LTD EC-401 for one. 

I've been on one of those Facebook trading sites and I've been offered a black '93 MIJ Squier Silver Series. Looks in decent nick, have asked for more information (serial number, logo on headstock etc)

Just wanted a second opinion - the LTD is worth £350-ish trade in, would the Squier match up in value?

Ta!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• len62len62 Frets: 6

Used to have one myself and it was a nice guitar but £350 seems a bit high. There is one for sale near me for £300 and it hasn't shifted.

http://www.gumtree.com/search?q=silver&category=music-instruments&search_location=Edinburgh&distance=10.0&current_distance=0.0&min_price=&max_price=

• StefBStefB Frets: 2355

£350 is way too high.

Rich Tone sold a nice sunburst example last week for £199, which is more what I'd value them at - http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/products/squier_silver_series_stratocaster_with_add_bridge_switch-ysquier20372.asp

In terms of quality, they were Japanese built and I'd put them in a similar league to the current Classic Vibe range.

• dampoldmandampoldman Frets: 44
    Hmm...I thought as much. Cheers chaps. 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24802
    edited June 2014
    That's a £200 guitar - they have no 'collector' value - they are just a reasonable budget Strat. No more, no less. My understanding was that they were Korean.
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Yeah, prices have been bobbing around £200 for a long time now. 

Nice guitars, and anything Fender made in Japan is always worth a second look, but for VFM in your case you'd need the Squier plus something else, or look for another guitar. 

You'd have to A/B them but I suspect you might get more of a guitar if you went for the current Squier CV 60s over the Silver series. 
    I suggested £100 on top and the seller got quite aggressive lol. Told him I worked at Dawsons and that I'd got feedback off some people more in the know and he said to tell everyone they were 'talking shit' haha... 

Interactions like that make me appreciate this forum all the more :)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I suggested £100 on top and the seller got quite aggressive lol. Told him I worked at Dawsons and that I'd got feedback off some people more in the know and he said to tell everyone they were 'talking shit' haha... 

Interactions like that make me appreciate this forum all the more :)
    lol well that's a great way of getting a sale...Send him links to sold ones for £200. 
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3321
    His name wasn't Gary was it?
    No comment
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3321
    I think I've had a similar chat
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    They're not uncommon on there unfortunately. 
  • marantz1300marantz1300 Frets: 3107
    I had one years a few years ago.Nice strat,but not at £300.I paid £160 for mine.
    I gave it to my Niece.  
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I had one for a while - I got 150 for it when I sold it.   It was ok but nothing special,  I think you could get a nicer strat in a trade if someone is looking for something like the LTD.

I'd advertise here - FB pages (like ebay) are good for getting a lot of people to see it but dealing with numpties is the price you have to pay for the wider audience.   The numpties here are our numpties so at least they'll haggle you down in a (mostly) friendly way :)
    John_P said:

I'd advertise here - FB pages (like ebay) are good for getting a lot of people to see it but dealing with numpties is the price you have to pay for the wider audience.   The numpties here are our numpties so at least they'll haggle you down in a (mostly) friendly way :)
    I do normally, but the audience here has more refined tastes, hence less LTDs and Schecters ;) my tastes are also becoming more refined, hence looking for a nice strat. 
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    Sell the LTD, buy the Strat, pocket the change.
    DeeTee said:
    Sell the LTD, buy the Strat, pocket the change.
    BOOM!
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    And give me a £50 discount for the suggestion! ;)
    If you want to buy it, I'm all ears!! Maybe even with a discount for your sterling idea hehe.