Acoustics that feel and play like electrics

What's Hot

Comments

• TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1845
    joneve said:
    I keep coming back to the Taylor big baby.........
    Shame you're not left handed. I'm getting rid of mine for just over a ton as it needs a small repair to the bridge (been quoted £40) but just haven't had the time to get it done. Only selling because I don't have the room at home (it's currently sat in my office at work getting in everyone's way!) 

They are great guitars though. Mine's a little over 10 years old and sounds fucking superb for the money. Effortless to play too. 

Even worse, I could have bought it with me next weekend as I'm coming down to Bournemouth so probably wouldn't be too far from you. 

To be honest, I don't know how much it would cost to re jig the bridge angle from lefty to righty so it intonates correctly but still might save you some dollar on your budget if you were interested. 
    if its possible to do all that i may be interested!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    Pretty sure it is. If you've got a local guitar tech near you, ask the question and see how much it would cost. I can ask my local repairer to see what she'd charge too, but I doubt I could get it done before next week (if you wanted it that quick)..and I'm always weary about posting acoustics! 

I can send pics if you're interested. It's got some cosmetic knocks which is inevitable with them as they're "unfinished" tops give a better tone, but I guarantee you that you'd love the sound. It's fucking awesome sounding for a solid top/lacquered sides guitar! 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72330
    edited June 2014
    I apologise for wrecking a potential deal here, but do *not* reverse the bridge on a steel-string acoustic. It's not actually an easy thing to do well, and almost all steel-string acoustics are braced asymmetrically, so it will never sound right the other way round and could even have structural issues, although that's perhaps not very likely.

In particular, don't ruin a left-handed guitar making it right-handed when there are few enough decent left-handed guitars in the world anyway! It's slightly more forgivable the other way round, although still not ideal.

Sell it to a left-handed player who wants it for what it is.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Ha ! You didn't wreck the deal - I'd already said no!!
    ICBM said:
    I apologise for wrecking a potential deal here, but do *not* reverse the bridge on a steel-string acoustic. It's not actually an easy thing to do well, and almost all steel-string acoustics are braced asymmetrically, so it will never sound right the other way round and could even have structural issues, although that's perhaps not very likely.

In particular, don't ruin a left-handed guitar making it right-handed when there are few enough decent left-handed guitars in the world anyway! It's slightly more forgivable the other way round, although still not ideal.

Sell it to a left-handed player who wants it for what it is.
    Ha! Calm down dear ;) As Travis said, it's a "No" from him. I'd LOVE to sell it to a left handed guitarist, but it appears that unless I give it away, no one wants it! :( And that's because we're so few and far between!
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    How do! A fellow Lefty here! Did I read correctly that someone's giving away a Big Baby? :D

(Sorry only joking. Am a happy man with 2 acoustics at the mo. )

Back to the topic, are Gibbos or Gibbo copies worth pursuing? The ones I've tried have almost all had slim comfy necks.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Taylor's are definately a good bet.

Or how about this.....think it's rather fetching (although most will disagree)

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12316
    edited June 2014
    Gagaryn said:
    Don't laugh but try a Fender Newporter, they are brilliant!
    I was just going to say that @Gagaryn and @ICBM. My mates got one, they are slinky as fuck to play, feels like a Strat.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    Taylor are great. What hasn't been suggested yet? Washburn. I was really surprised by how easy to play those necks are. Very comfortable. Ended up buying! Ha. 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
    Skarloey said:
    How do! A fellow Lefty here! Did I read correctly that someone's giving away a Big Baby? :D

(Sorry only joking. Am a happy man with 2 acoustics at the mo. )

Back to the topic, are Gibbos or Gibbo copies worth pursuing? The ones I've tried have almost all had slim comfy necks.
    G'wan! You know you want it!! :D
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    I have to agree with the waldens they are amazing guitars for the price, and the playability is that of a guitar twice the price I owned one before falling in love with my vintage guild, also the tangle wood rosewood reserves are great, they also play like butter and have a good sound.
  • TheDarkLordTheDarkLord Frets: 34
    edited June 2014
    Money, guitars, cars, football, beer and women - roughly in that order.  Also, black things are good.  All hail the Lords Black, Burnel, Cornwell and Greenfield - and Squire Warne.  Currently levelling buildings with a Precision bass for the unrivalled www.daphnedontfloat.com
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2438
    They sound awful acoustically, and "different" plugged in, but an Ovation (especially the newer ones with the contour on the back) plays very like an electric.
    The sound is a love it or hate it thing though
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    IMO if you want something that plays & feels like an electric, get an electric. If you want an acoustic sound out of an electric, get a piezo-loaded bridge or a Boss Acoustic Simulator pedal. If you want a genuine acoustic sound, man up and get an acoustic.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    IMO if you want something that plays & feels like an electric, get an electric. If you want an acoustic sound out of an electric, get a piezo-loaded bridge or a Boss Acoustic Simulator pedal. If you want a genuine acoustic sound, man up and get an acoustic.

Helpful

Thanks

:))
    I like things that are halfway between the two, both feel- and sound-wise.

I like electrics to sound and feel like acoustics and acoustics to sound and feel like electrics :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1815
    shame, I had a lovely Tanglewood premium line jobby that played like an electric, sold it to someone on the old MR forum
    :P
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    edited June 2014
    ICBM said:

I like electrics to sound and feel like acoustics and acoustics to sound and feel like electrics :).
    You'd like my Washburn SBF-80 then. IMO it doesn't really play like an electric neither does it really play like an acoustic, it's kinda halfway. Sounds wise I think it's very nicely in the acoustic camp.

EDIT I didn't mention it before as I didn't think it would fit the OP's spec.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    ICBM said:

You'd like my Washburn SBF-80 then. IMO it doesn't really play like an electric neither does it really play like an acoustic, it's kinda halfway. Sounds wise I think it's very nicely in the acoustic camp.
    I quite like those, but they need a magnetic pickup as well. At that point they would become very similar to the Fender HMT Tele, which is the best-sounding 'solid acoustic' I've played. I owned one for a while but I couldn't get on with the wide/flat neck and jumbo frets - a hangover from the original version of the HMT (Heavy Metal Telecaster) which used the same neck but on a two-humbucker body. Confused yet? ;)

You need a mix of piezo and magnetic to get the best *acoustic* sound in my opinion - although that does also mean that it can do much better electric ones too. The key is that piezo and magnetic pickups are out of phase with each other - not completely like reversing one of two magnetic pickups, but 90º or 'halfway'. This is much more like the way the top of an acoustic guitar vibrates than any single pickup is.

I possibly should have changed the neck on my HMT for a more traditional Tele or Strat one (the original has a Strat-type head shape), but it was the odd offset neckplate design which made it difficult to find something suitable.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12364
    strtdv said:
    They sound awful acoustically, and "different" plugged in, but an Ovation (especially the newer ones with the contour on the back) plays very like an electric.
    The sound is a love it or hate it thing though
    Ovations have really nice necks. A mate owned a Custom model and it had one of the nicest necks I've ever played; perfect width, perfect fretting and a comfortable soft V. Shame they sound so shit.