Trimmed string disposal.

What's Hot
equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6111
After restringing your guitar, how do you dispose of the sharp strings ends that you have cut off?

Being as they are like musical hypodermic needles, do you just chuck them in the bin and not worry that they might hurt someone or something later on or do you have a clever and safe method for disposal?

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    edited June 2014 tFB Trader

Give 'em to the cats to play with.

Not really - bend 'em with the same needle-nose pliers I use to double-over the ends on the guitar. So they drop into a string packet without wanting to bounce free.

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Metal skip at work. Same with old strings.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Hmmm, I just chuck 'em in the bin  >:)
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6111
    You bad man..wot about all them poor little animals that frequent the dumps...shame on you 
    [-X
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24803
    Corvus;263854" said:
    bend 'em with the same needle-nose pliers I use to double-over the ends on the guitar. So they drop into a string packet without wanting to bounce free.
    This is exactly what I do.

Does this make us responsible citizens or sufferers from OCD?
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26994
    I coil them up into circles like new strings come in, then put all those in the string packet to go in the bin.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    equalsql said:
    You bad man..wot about all them poor little animals that frequent the dumps...shame on you 
    [-X

Gypo's?

>:)

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1265
    I never cut the ends off my strings - I coil the unused portion into a loop like this...

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    I put all the scrap metal I generate from work, as well as domestic scrap (cans, beer bottle tops etc) in a large box and take it to the council dump where there is a metal recycling skip about every couple of months.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    I make little coils of the offcuts, slightly larger coils of the old strings, and drop 'em in the next baked beans tin that goes for recycling. A lady at the council recycling advice dept told me it was the right thing to do :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • FazerFazer Frets: 467
    i put the old strings and cut off bits into an empty food tin, then that goes into metal recycling thingy
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader
    Does this make us responsible citizens or sufferers from OCD?
    :) I'm not sure... possibly responsible OCD-ers...
    Probably started for me as defence against ear pain from the other half finding a stray on the carpet with bare feet.
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Into me glass/metal/cardboard recycling bin.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Coil em up and put em in a plastic bag, ready to be recycled with all the rest of the strings when they're finished. 

I have been known to send old strings to a Cuban Aid project. 

But generally I recycle them these days at the local dump. Paper packaging goes in the normal household recycling.  
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    Most of them are probably inside me somewhere... God forbid if I ever walk past a scrap yard/wreckers with one of those big electromagnet things :P 

Nah. I just chuck 'em in the bin, total disregard for OH&S ;) 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    I've never been sure our local recycling collection can deal with strings, they tend to insist on cans only for metal. Not sure how long it would take me to accumulate enough that a visit to our council dump would be net beneficial. (I've never had any other reason to be near it.)
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    I just bung 'em in the recycling with cans, etc. They're metal, bloody well recycle them you lazy b*ggers! I reckon all the guys on here would dispose of enough to make a couple of cars every year :-)
  • littlethoughtslittlethoughts Frets: 639
    edited June 2014
    Interesting replies everyone! I wonder if some of the more weird and wonderful string types should be recycled though, or if they just end up getting binned at the other end...or worse, what if all you lovely people conscientiously putting your strings into tin cans are buggering up the reprocessing by mixing metals i.e. nickel wound strings contaminating aluminium cans.
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    I stuff pillows with them and sell them at BDSM coffee mornings.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    Interesting replies everyone! I wonder if some of the more weird and wonderful string types should be recycled though, or if they just end up getting binned at the other end...or worse, what if all you lovely people conscientiously putting your strings into tin cans are buggering up the reprocessing by mixing metals i.e. nickel wound strings contaminating aluminium cans.
    That's what I'm not sure about. Always thought the prohibition on shredded paper in recycling was weird, but apparently it messes up their sorting process. Strings are at least magnetic and mainly steel, so the iron-aluminium sorting should get them out.