New Paypal terms. Must read for sellers

What's Hot
FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4291
edited June 2014 in Guitar
Probably the wrong section but nobody will hardly read it in speakers corners.

Just had an email from paypal notifying me that as of June 17th they are changing their terms for buyers.

From 17th June, buyers are getting increased protection; we're extending the dispute claim window from 45 days to 180 days after payment date.

This is bound to increase the already corrupt way that paypal shafts sellers through ebay etc when some dodgy begger decides after 40 days that he doesn't like the guitar/pedal etc that you sold him and wants his money back as its now 'faulty'  as well as all the other scams that are going on.

So instead of helping the seller out they decide to stiff him even more with a 180 day policy in the buyers favour.

So when i buy an amp from an ebay seller i can now use it for 5 months and after I've given it a bloody good hammering of heavy gig usage i will say its developed a fault and get my money back.

Madness!
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    wow  180 days does seem a little excessive...  I can see some sense in extending it a little, I once was fobbed off by a seller until it hit the 45 day period but 5months is a bit mental.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    I think i better pull my amp now .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2877
    Wankers.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Just pulled my Laney .i'll try to upload photos and sell on here .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26987
    What a bunch of dicks. I'm not selling on ebay again then.

You can't expect people selling used goods to keep proof of condition for half a year.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    The other thing they have recently changed is how they get the money off you if the buyer disputes a sale.

At the moment they just do it with paypal, but now they require you to have a credit/debit card on file that will be charged as soon as the claim is made - i.e. not a freeze on funds you may have in paypal, but a direct charge to your card, before the claim has been accepted or proven.

I only found this out when I came to relist something last week and it wouldn't let me until I added a card to my ebay account - ebay not paypal. So basically, if you flog something, don't spend the money for six months on the off chance the buyer changes their mind, seems to be the approach..

The classifieds have never looked so good :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • rossi;264450" said:
    Just pulled my Laney .i'll try to upload photos and sell on here .
    I have stuff on there but is collection only with cash payment as they're large items.

These new terms are fucking unreal.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72323
    45 days seemed too much anyway. I thought the standard UK consumer law window to report a fault was 28 days, but I could be wrong.

180 days - six months! - is just ludicrous.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• A friend of mine and I were only discussing how crap eBay was these days and we both agreed that any further terms of this type would be their eventual downfall.

I'm really not selling on there any more after this.
    As its the 17 th of June it comes into effect I have relisted my Laney until the 16th .Thanks for the info by the way .
  • rossi;264461" said:
    As its the 17 th of June it comes into effect I have relisted my Laney until the 16th .Thanks for the info by the way .
    No worries. When I read it I went off on one. They're boasting that no other company is offering such a service.

Yes because you're gangsters.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Thanks for the info. That's ridiculous. Buying only from now on via ebay.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    ICBM;264454" said:
    45 days seemed too much anyway. I thought the standard UK consumer law window to report a fault was 28 days, but I could be wrong.

180 days - six months! - is just ludicrous.
    Consumer law used to state a 'reasonable amount of time' this was later refined to 28 days, which is more than enough time for someone to inspect goods. 180 days is completely taking the piss. I'm assuming this change is because if an item develops a fault in the first 6 months it is legally seen as having been there since day 1 unless the seller can disprove it. After 6 months it's up to the buyer to prove the fault existed when the item was purchased.

• EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    Jeez. I will now be boycotting eBay as far as possible. Are you searching those terms, eBay? Boycot eBay, boycotting eBay. There you go.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    Thanks for sharing the info.
  • JookyChap;264452" said:
    The other thing they have recently changed is how they get the money off you if the buyer disputes a sale.

At the moment they just do it with paypal, but now they require you to have a credit/debit card on file that will be charged as soon as the claim is made - i.e. not a freeze on funds you may have in paypal, but a direct charge to your card, before the claim has been accepted or proven.

I only found this out when I came to relist something last week and it wouldn't let me until I added a card to my ebay account - ebay not paypal. So basically, if you flog something, don't spend the money for six months on the off chance the buyer changes their mind, seems to be the approach..

The classifieds have never looked so good :)

Had the same thing. I never had a card on my paypal account for this very reason (then they could only
    Lock my actaul funds which was normally zero) and then last week had to register a card . Screw em
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    I did hear about this from a guy in a guitar shop. He said he sold an old Vox AC30 to a chap in Italy. Then 180 days later £1500 was deducted from his bank account by paypal. He rang up to dispute, the buyer had claimed the amp was a copy. So Paypal just went ahead and took the money from his account! He then produced all of the paperwork he had at the time to prove the amps authenticity and paypal gave him his money back.

I think they refunded the Italian buyer as well! A few weeks later the Italian buyer was selling the amp as a vintage ac30!! Guitar shop owner then informed ebay, ad pulled!
    As the bloke in the shop said, 180 days is far too long. Gives people the chance to express buyers remorse. I'm sure we've all bought something and then later thought "meh don't really like this". And typically with a big expense, car, bicycle or guitar etc six months is usually about that time frame.

I dont think i'll be selling through ebay anymore. Naff all protection for sellers, sometimes it feels like you may as well set fire to five pound notes!
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • leerockerleerocker Frets: 607
    oh dear , all sorts of scams and buyers remorse etc now with this.

I dont take paypal on ebay and offer collection only, saves all the bullshit!
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17606
    tFB Trader
    Balls to Ebay. 

I haven't used it for years. It's a haven of scammers and fakes. 
  • GizmoGizmo Frets: 1076
    I can see this being helpful for oversea's purchases,ive had a few scammers who've outrun the 45 day limit playing the "postal delays" BS card but add this to the extra 10% ebay now take from your shipping costs and if i list on there at all its just going to be cash+collection only....me thinks Ebay/paypal are getting a bit to big for there boots.