Playing outdoors - Reverb yes no?

TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802

Normally I have the reverb on my amp off, all the time, as I kind of figure that most rooms have enough of this without me adding more. Tomorrow though I have gig out doors, not played out side before so was wondering if the general concensous would be to add a touch of reverb...? Soundcheck is litterally only a quick mic check as this is a mini fest.

Happy to hear thoughts on this

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    When you say Mic test, does that mean someone out front is mixing the whole thing? If so leave it to them to add any ambience, don't forget if you're running loud on stage the vocal mics pick up a lot of the sound and will possible have some delay on them too. If not, a touch of reverb cant hurt, it will help define the sound. Too much and it will turn to mush.

• relic245relic245 Frets: 962
    I only ever use reverb for effect rather than ambiance. We do quite a few outdoor gigs and I've always thought it sounds fine in the recordings that I've heard. 

as esblond says if there is a sound person let them handle it. If you start adding it to your amp then you'll suddenly be hearing something different to usual. Can be a good thing of course but it can also be quite off putting.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Yes, there is a sound guy - will leave it off as normal then and let the man do his stuff :)
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405

Generally things can sound dry as a biscuit outside. I'm mixing an outside gig tonight. I will use reverb and small delays but will ride the returns so the effects are as obvious at the end of vocal lines and guitar licks. 

When I'm playing outside myself I use a stereo 4 x 12 with one side dry and mic'ed  for FOH and one side wet for my onstage mix. That works really well
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72333
    It depends if you use reverb as part of your guitar sound or if you're trying to make it sound the same as playing indoors.

If the former you generally want a bit more outdoors.

If the latter, I agree it's probably better to leave it off at the amp and ask the sound man to put a bit on at the desk, that way he can choose the right type, which will usually be the same as he's using for the other instruments/vocals.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein