To build a Jazzmaster or not...

What's Hot
I've got an itch to build a Jazzmaster that's needing scratched... I've always had an interest in them having grown up to the sounds of Sonic Youth, Swervedriver, Dinosaur Jr and a load of other alt-rock bands.. But I've already built a customised Toronado which is nice and offsetty, and I really don't need another guitar...

Please tell me Jazzmaster's are not worth the money or effort, so I can move on to the next pipe dream:)
The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234

ewal said:
    Please tell me Jazzmaster's are not worth the money or effort, so I can move on to the next pipe dream:)

Well, yes, that's going to happen. :)

Jazzmasters are the coolest, nicest playing, most stable of tremolo guitar you'll ever play. Offer a tone you can't find anywhere else and as long as you avoid the horrible mexican ones with their misplaced trems, generally can't be beaten. You'll be a better player and never sleep alone.

It isn't so much an "if" as a "when", really, so embrace the inevitable and go to it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22162
    Jaguar>Jazzmaster. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2584
    JookyChap said:

ewal said:

...It isn't so much an "if" as a "when", really, so embrace the inevitable and go to it.

Yeah well... you and I know that I was really looking for someone to prod me in exactly the opposite direction:)

As for the Jaguar vs Jazzmaster debate - I'm really, really shallow when it comes to guitars, so Jazzmaster wins for me because of all the aforementioned bands. The only band I associate with Jaguars are the Bunnymen, whilst wonderful, just lose out against the might of alt-rock deities:) I also think Jazzmasters have a more recognisable tone.

Right I'll have to build one of each!!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22162
    Finally we have a correct answer! :D

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    JookyChap said:

ewal said:

Jazzmasters are the coolest, nicest playing, most stable of tremolo guitar you'll ever play. You'll be a better player and never sleep alone.

Which is obviously what inspired the advertising tagline -

"SAY GOODBYE TO JAZZ MAGS WITH A JOOKY JAZZMASTER!"

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    JookyChap;265000" said:
    ewal said:

Jazzmasters are the coolest, nicest playing, most stable of tremolo guitar you'll ever play. Offer a tone you can't find anywhere else and as long as you avoid the horrible mexican ones with their misplaced trems, generally can't be beaten. You'll be a better player and never sleep alone.

It isn't so much an "if" as a "when", really, so embrace the inevitable and go to it.
    Arrrgghhhhh
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Jaguar>Jazzmaster. 

Wrong

you need both.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7164
    to be fair, even I have both and I'm staunchly Jaguar bias. Probably build at least one of each. you might want multiples, eh @meltedbuzzbox?
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    edited June 2014
    Horses for courses - I prefer Jazzmasters but Jaguars are nice too.
    So what started as a tentative musing about building a Jazzmaster is now a discussion of the need to build multiple JM's and Jags :P

Which is obviously what inspired the advertising tagline -"SAY GOODBYE TO JAZZ MAGS WITH A JOOKY JAZZMASTER!"
    That reminds me, I  really must get some t shirts printed...

• KarlosKarlos Frets: 512
    I'm about to sell a bunch of stuff to buy either a Jazzmaster or Jag, I just can't decide.
    Obviously I can read the product pages and I know the differences between pups in hardware terms but some owner insight would be good on the differences..?
    I have never had either and I am currently gassing hard for one hence the upcoming fire-sale.

@JookyChap Re: Mexican; what's wrong with them. The Mex Teles are superb.
    (the artist formerly known as KarlosSantos)
    @KarlosSantos They are really well made, the necks are beautiful and they modernised them by moving the placement of the trem so that it is closer to the bridge, which overcomes a lot of the traditional rattles.

Which is all good, but unfortunately (for me anyway) it changed the feel and the sound of them. The string tension feels wrong and they don't seem to ring in the same way. Plus one of the nice things with JMs is that you can play behind the bridge and that kills that.

So basically, they are great, well made guitars, but they changed something for the right reasons that didn't need changing.

However, I've been playing JMs for 20-odd years, so any change would probably feel wrong to me. I know @impmann and @meltedbuzzbox rate them.

Personally, I'd go for a Japanese one and upgraded the pickups/wire, and you'll have a better guitar for about the same money

edited June 2014
    Cheers mate, appreciate that. 
    I'm looking specifically for something with vintage frets that's why the current production model appeals. I can't see any difference in trem position between a production JM and a Jap JM though (probably looking at the wrong thing).

Currently spending a ridiculous amount of time looking at JM's on the interbob. 

Oh and sorry about the threadjack ewal.
    GavHaus said:
    to be fair, even I have both and I'm staunchly Jaguar bias. Probably build at least one of each. you might want multiples, eh @meltedbuzzbox?
    I have no idea what you are on about...

Both types of guitar are so good its hard to choose between the 2.
    I love the piano like chime of the JM and the jangle of the Jag. Both take to all kinds of effects really well.

Perhaps I need a few double neck JM Jag hybrids?

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    The mexican JMs and Jags are well made. The most notable difference is the neck radius and the trem position.

The closer trem gives a tighter feel to the strings and changes the harmonic over tones.

Radius is really a player preference.

Both need replacement bridges, pickups need replacing on the MIJ stuff before you even play it.
    The Classic player stuff is a lot hotter and the JM is more p90ish and so are the single coil jags.

I prefer the CP JM bridge pickup over the vintage stuff personally as it has more balls to it but the neck has to be a stock JM for that beautiful thick chimey sound.

I think no matter the offset they all seem to need some attention (usually a bridge swap)

The biggest downside is that you wont find much mij stuff in a shop, however you will always find the MIM stuff.
    This info is gold.  =D>
    I'd say keep it coming but I should really start my own "Tell me about Jazzmaster/Jaguars" thread.