Yamaha THRC

What's Hot
FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
edited September 2013 in Amps
My Roland practice amp has been playing up so I'm thinking of getting something to replace it. I've seen some good and bad demos of the THRC and wondered whether they live up to the hype on the Anderton's website. Are they any good as a recording tool? Just weighing up whether the extra spent on a THRC is worth it or whether I just replace my old Cube with a new one.

I'm more of a classic jazz/blues/rock guy so I don't need metal tones.

Feedback appreciated.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27497
    @ddlooping and @McToot are both fans, I believe ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I love mine, but then I've only had it a couple of weeks so I'm still in the honeymoon period. I actually went for the THR10 as opposed to the C, but that was a cosmetic thing to allow me to have it in the living room!

I haven't even tried plugging it into the laptop yet, I must give that a go.

• carloscarlos Frets: 3450
    I have a THR10 and it's great for jazz/blues/rock. There are only really 2 amps in it that wouldn't suit those styles. Can't comment on the THRC, though.
  • ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    edited September 2013
    I can only echo what has already been said. :)

Edit: linky to related discussion.
    Another one.
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2042

I absolutely love it - to the extent that I've only fired up my valve amp a few times since I got it.  I went for the 10X - not because I'm a metalhead but mainly because in the 15 minuts I had with the 10C I couldn't get a drive sound that I was happy with.  In addition the one clean sound on the X was my favourite from the C. 

I haven't played about much with the settings online, though it seems to be very tweakable.  Nor have I tried to record, so can't comment. 

It sits in my living room and gets much more use than my Egnater ever has.  It delivers an unfeasibly big noise from such a small box.   

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

• McToot said:

I absolutely love it - to the extent that I've only fired up my valve amp a few times since I got it.  I went for the 10X - not because I'm a metalhead but mainly because in the 15 minuts I had with the 10C I couldn't get a drive sound that I was happy with.  In addition the one clean sound on the X was my favourite from the C. 

I haven't played about much with the settings online, though it seems to be very tweakable.  Nor have I tried to record, so can't comment. 

It sits in my living room and gets much more use than my Egnater ever has.  It delivers an unfeasibly big noise from such a small box.   

me and a mate done a bit of a back to back test with the standard thr10 (mine) and the thr10c (his)

the long and short of it is as mctoot said, the drives sounds on the C are bit underwhelming to be honest. the standard model is more versatile and even the high gain amp models on the standard can be backed right off to give you a nice warm overdrive sound. i'm lovin' mine!!

The Swamp City Shakers
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    You should have gone for the THC. 

I've heard it's great for reggae and it's sound is considered very relaxing. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    edited September 2013
    I disagree about the drive sounds. I think they are great on the 10C! Especially for Blues/Classic RAWK.

However, it would definitely be worth trying out all three. Surprisingly (maybe) the 10C also sound good with a Boss sD1 in front. I imagine a higher gain pedal would also be fine although,I know, use with pedals aren't really what they are about. But a battery powered little drive pedal sits easily beside them with a wee patch cable, so not a big issue in my mind.

Anyway, I love my 10C and I tried the other two before buying. All three sound great.

Like McToot, the HRD hasn't had a look in recently. Perfect for the house.
  • I've just been playing mine (THR10) on the clean setting with a Fuzz Face in front...filthy goodness indeed. First time I've actually hooked my pedal board into it and I'm mightily impressed. I wasn't sure how well it'd take pedals but it's sounding great.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Thanks for the feedback .. I'm off to order one .. Frets all round .. :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Fretwired said:
    Thanks for the feedback .. I'm off to order one .. Frets all round .. :-)
    Good move - you won't regret it - mine is definitely my most played amp - so quick and easy to operate and sounds amazing for it's size - in a different league to any other little amp I've owned :) 
  • You should PM @hootsmon
    I think he is seriously looking into getting one
  • I had a THR10C and it was a great little amp but i couldn't get on with it as a direct recording tool. For starters you had to configure it as your soundcard, which i don't much like, and i thought the recorded sound was thin.

• bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    edited September 2013
    Tim -  just buy one.  (the 10C)

QED.

EDIT

oh I see you have  :)
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3450
    My wife runs a business from home, so during the day the THR serves as a very good set of stereo speakers. Then in the evening they work as an amp. That's value for money.
  • I love mine. Here's a clip I threw together in 30 minutes using the stock sounds.