Setlist ideas that I can sing and play? (3 piece band)

What's Hot
John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
As one of my bands is falling apart I'm thinking about a 3 piece band - I've got a drummer and a couple of possible bass players so I'm making a list of songs I can sing and play - i.e. simple guitar in the vs/ch...

Be nice to have a theme as well - my first thought was late 60's early 70's but rocked up a little (like dozens of pub bands ;-) )

Hit me with suggestions....
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17608
    tFB Trader
    Anything by The Jam or The Police.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750

Anything by The Jam or The Police.
    I like playing police songs but they would have to be for the bass player to sing ;-)  Mesage in a bottle kills my tiny fingers...
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6490
    Ah there's a ton of stuff, where do we even start?!

As I have said many times on these boards, the trick is in letting go of the thought that you have to duplicate the songs exactly as per the records.
    Experiment with your own arrangements - make the songs your own.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72327
    Ah there's a ton of stuff, where do we even start?!

As I have said many times on these boards, the trick is in letting go of the thought that you have to duplicate the songs exactly as per the records.
    Experiment with your own arrangements - make the songs your own.
    Totally agree.

Any song that you can play the chords to while you sing is a candidate.

Especially if your bass player is good and can play melodic stuff at the same time - listen to The Jam in particular and you'll hear how much the bass carries the tune while the guitar just plays chords.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    Tom Petty stuff can work well in this scenario, as would things like some early Elvis Costello or Joe Jackson and not many people are doing those today.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    ESBlonde said:
    Tom Petty stuff can work well in this scenario, as would things like some early Elvis Costello or Joe Jackson and not many people are doing those today.

Costello and Jackson ( and the Jam come to that) had some cracking basslines that would carry a song. Having watched Costello on a recentish gig on the tv he does almost a BB King call and response thing now, playing nothing or only the simplest of things when singing (although he has keys carrying the song as well).

A whole Modish set would be possible  - the Jam, Oasis, the Who, Kinks, OCS,Small Faces,etc. Primark suit and a skinny tie and Bob's yer whatsit.Still pretty rocky but a bit more themed and not just A N Other rock covers band. There is a world of mod nights and scooter clubs out there that pay as well.

{googles}

like this: http://www.db5band.com/Home.html
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited June 2014
    Loads of stuff, depends really on what you can sing and play at the same time, and we can't tell you that.

I've played in a three piece loads, in fact we still do when the bass player can't make it (the singer also plays bass). Not sure how the formating will work out but here's a copy and paste of our song list...

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Original Artist Song Title Original Artist Song Title
    ACDC You Shook Me All Night Long Queen Another One Bites The Dust
    Black Crowes/Otis Redding Hard To Handle  Snow Patrol Chasing Cars
    Blink 182 All The Small Things Stevie Ray Vaughan Pride and Joy
    Bryan Adams Summer of '69 Stevie Wonder Superstitious
    Chuck Berry Johnny B Goode The Beatles Helter Skelter
    Cream Crossroads The Beatles Come Together
    Crowded House Fall at Your Feet The Beatles I Saw Her Standing There
    Dire Straits Sultans Of Swing The Beatles Hard Days Night
    Elvis Suspicious Minds The Buzzcocks Ever Fallen in Love
    Feeder Buck Rogers The Clash I fought the Law
    Fleetwood Mac Oh Well The Killers Somebody Told Me
    Free Wishing Well  The Kinks You Really Got Me
    Free All Right Now The Kinks Dedicated Follower Of Fashion
    Green Day American Idiot The Rolling Stones Jumping Jack Flash
    Jimi Hendrix Foxy Lady The Who I Can’t Explain 
    Jimi Hendrix Fire Thin Lizzy Don't Believe a Word
    Kings of Leon Sex On Fire Tom Petty Running Down A Dream
    Lenny Kravitz Are You Gonna Go My Way U2 With Or Without You
    Lynyrd Skynyrd Sweet Home Alabama Undertones Teenage Kicks
    Marc Bolan/T-Rex 20th Century Boy Wilson Pickett Mustang Sally
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    Here's my repertoire - I do the same kind of thing as you, with scratch bassists & drummers (not had a rehearsal in 10 years) - 

Title & Artist Abracadabra Africa Ain't Got Nothing But The Blues - Robben Ford Ain't No Sunshine - Bill Withers All Along The Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix All Night Long All Of Me - George Benson All Right Now All your love Almost Cut My Hair - Crosby Stills Nash Always On The Run - Lenny Kravitz Amazing Grace Another Brick - Pink Floyd Axel F Badge - Cream Baker Street - Gerry Rafferty BJ Blues Black Magic Woman - Santana Blues for me Born Under A Bad Sign Boys And Girls - Pixie Lott Calling Card - Rory Gallagher Can't Get Enough Chameleon - Herbie Hancock Cinnamon Girl Circus Of Life Cissy Strut - John Mayer Cocaine Cold Shot - Stevie Ray Vaughan Come Together - The Beatles Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd Copperhead Road - Steve Earle Couldn't Stand The Weather - Stevie Ray Vaughan Day Tripper - The Beatles Devil Woman - Cliff Richard Do it again Everyday I have the blues Falling - Alicia Keys Fire - Jimi Hendrix Free Falling Funk #49 Further on up the road Get Lucky - Daft Punk Gimme All Your Loving - ZZ Top Gloria - Them Going Down Going Down To Elstree Gravity Greyhound Strut Halo - Beyonce Happy - Pharell Williams Hard Bargain Hard Man Boogie Hard To Be Humble Hard To Handle - Black Crowes Help Me Help The Poor - Robben Ford Hey Joe - Jimi Hendrix High Hopes - Pink Floyd Higher Ground Honky Tonk Women - Rolling Stones House of Broken Love - Great White Hung Up - Madonna I Believe In Father Xmas - Greg Lake I Believe In You - Bob Dylan I Heard This Song I Need A Dollar - Aloe Blacc I Remember I Saw Her Standing There I Wish I Knew I'll Be Your Baby Tonight - Robert Palmer I'm Getting ready I'm Not In Love With You It's A Shame About Ray - Lemonheads It's Not Fair (Blue Bossa) - JK Jambalaya - The Carpenters Jean Genie - David Bowie Johnny B Goode Jump - Aztec Camera / Van Halen Jumping Jack Flash - Rolling Stones Jumping The Gun Katewalk Keep On Running - Spencer Davis Group Killing Floor La Grange Left For Dead Legend Of Kurt Cobain Let The Rain Come Let's Work Together - Canned Heat Life In The Jungle Little Sunflower - Al Jarreau Little Wing - Jimi Hendrix Look at little sister Make You Feel My Love Mary Had A Little Lamb - Stevie Ray Vaughan Mercy Mercy Mercy Mercy Michelle Midnight Hour - Wilson Pickett Million Mice Moondance - Van Morrison More Than A Feeling - Boston Moving Out Mustang Sally - Commitments My Coo Ca Choo - Alvin Stardust My Hero (Foo Fighters) My Love Is Your Love - Whitney Houston Need Your Love So Bad Nightbus Nightfall No Air - Jordin Sparks Not Perfection (Every Day...) On The Road Again Ordinary World - Duran Duran Orinoco Flow - Enya Paranoid - Black Sabbath Passenger - Iggy Pop Poker Face Proud Mary - Creedence Clearwater Revival Purple Haze Purple Rain - Prince Put It Where You Want It Rambling On My Mind - Robert Johnson Red House - Jimi Hendrix Riding On A Rolling Road Roadhouse Blues - Doors Roar - Katy Perry Rock this Townv - Stray Cats Rocking All Over The World - Status Quo Rush Hour Theme Scarborough Fair (Swing) - Simon & Garfunkel Shades Shaking All Over - Johnny Kidd She Sells Sanctuary Should I Stay Or Should I Go Since You've Been Gone Sir Duke - Stevie Wonder Sitting On The Dock Of The Bay So Far So Many Roads - Otis Rush So What - Ronnie Jordan Somebody That I Used To Know - Gotye Something Inside So Strong St James Infirmary St Louis Blues - WC Handy Stairway To Heaven - Led Zep Starsky & Hutch Start It Up - Robben Ford Stone Cold Sober - Paloma Faith Stormy Monday (Allman Brothers) Stormy Monday (T-Bone Walker) Struggling For Money Summertime - Ella Fitzgerald Summertime Blues - Eddie Cochran Sunny Afternoon - The Kinks Sunshine Of Your Love - Cream Superstition - Stevie Wonder Sweet Child Of Mine Sweet Home Alabama - Skynyrd Sweets For My Sweet - The Searchers Sympathy For The Devil Take It Easy - The Eagles Pusher - Steppenwolf There's A Guy Works Down The Chip Shop Swears He's Elvis - Kirsty MacColl Things We Said Today - Beatles Thrill is gone Tin Pan Alley Tore Down Twist And Shout Up In Flames Vanity Voodoo Chile Waiting For The Bus - ZZ Top Walk In The Room - Searchers Walk This Way Walking Along The Street Wanted Dead Or Alive - Bon Jovi Watermelon Man - Herbie Hancock Way You Make Me Feel - Michael Jackson What's Up - Four Non Blondes While My Guitar Gently Weeps - The Beatles White Room - Cream Wicked Game - Chris Isaak Wild Thing Wind Cries Mary - Jimi Hendrix Wipeout Word Up Yesterday - Beatles You Can't Do That - The Beatles You Really Got Me - The Kinks You Shook Me Ziggy Stardust - David Bowie
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7287
    bigjon said:
    Here's my repertoire - I do the same kind of thing as you, with scratch bassists & drummers (not had a rehearsal in 10 years) - 

Title & Artist Abracadabra Africa Ain't Got Nothing But The Blues - Robben Ford Ain't No Sunshine - Bill Withers All Along The Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix All Night Long All Of Me - George Benson All Right Now All your love Almost Cut My Hair - Crosby Stills Nash Always On The Run - Lenny Kravitz Amazing Grace Another Brick - Pink Floyd Axel F Badge - Cream Baker Street - Gerry Rafferty BJ Blues Black Magic Woman - Santana Blues for me Born Under A Bad Sign Boys And Girls - Pixie Lott Calling Card - Rory Gallagher Can't Get Enough Chameleon - Herbie Hancock Cinnamon Girl Circus Of Life Cissy Strut - John Mayer Cocaine Cold Shot - Stevie Ray Vaughan Come Together - The Beatles Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd Copperhead Road - Steve Earle Couldn't Stand The Weather - Stevie Ray Vaughan Day Tripper - The Beatles Devil Woman - Cliff Richard Do it again Everyday I have the blues Falling - Alicia Keys Fire - Jimi Hendrix Free Falling Funk #49 Further on up the road Get Lucky - Daft Punk Gimme All Your Loving - ZZ Top Gloria - Them Going Down Going Down To Elstree Gravity Greyhound Strut Halo - Beyonce Happy - Pharell Williams Hard Bargain Hard Man Boogie Hard To Be Humble Hard To Handle - Black Crowes Help Me Help The Poor - Robben Ford Hey Joe - Jimi Hendrix High Hopes - Pink Floyd Higher Ground Honky Tonk Women - Rolling Stones House of Broken Love - Great White Hung Up - Madonna I Believe In Father Xmas - Greg Lake I Believe In You - Bob Dylan I Heard This Song I Need A Dollar - Aloe Blacc I Remember I Saw Her Standing There I Wish I Knew I'll Be Your Baby Tonight - Robert Palmer I'm Getting ready I'm Not In Love With You It's A Shame About Ray - Lemonheads It's Not Fair (Blue Bossa) - JK Jambalaya - The Carpenters Jean Genie - David Bowie Johnny B Goode Jump - Aztec Camera / Van Halen Jumping Jack Flash - Rolling Stones Jumping The Gun Katewalk Keep On Running - Spencer Davis Group Killing Floor La Grange Left For Dead Legend Of Kurt Cobain Let The Rain Come Let's Work Together - Canned Heat Life In The Jungle Little Sunflower - Al Jarreau Little Wing - Jimi Hendrix Look at little sister Make You Feel My Love Mary Had A Little Lamb - Stevie Ray Vaughan Mercy Mercy Mercy Mercy Michelle Midnight Hour - Wilson Pickett Million Mice Moondance - Van Morrison More Than A Feeling - Boston Moving Out Mustang Sally - Commitments My Coo Ca Choo - Alvin Stardust My Hero (Foo Fighters) My Love Is Your Love - Whitney Houston Need Your Love So Bad Nightbus Nightfall No Air - Jordin Sparks Not Perfection (Every Day...) On The Road Again Ordinary World - Duran Duran Orinoco Flow - Enya Paranoid - Black Sabbath Passenger - Iggy Pop Poker Face Proud Mary - Creedence Clearwater Revival Purple Haze Purple Rain - Prince Put It Where You Want It Rambling On My Mind - Robert Johnson Red House - Jimi Hendrix Riding On A Rolling Road Roadhouse Blues - Doors Roar - Katy Perry Rock this Townv - Stray Cats Rocking All Over The World - Status Quo Rush Hour Theme Scarborough Fair (Swing) - Simon & Garfunkel Shades Shaking All Over - Johnny Kidd She Sells Sanctuary Should I Stay Or Should I Go Since You've Been Gone Sir Duke - Stevie Wonder Sitting On The Dock Of The Bay So Far So Many Roads - Otis Rush So What - Ronnie Jordan Somebody That I Used To Know - Gotye Something Inside So Strong St James Infirmary St Louis Blues - WC Handy Stairway To Heaven - Led Zep Starsky & Hutch Start It Up - Robben Ford Stone Cold Sober - Paloma Faith Stormy Monday (Allman Brothers) Stormy Monday (T-Bone Walker) Struggling For Money Summertime - Ella Fitzgerald Summertime Blues - Eddie Cochran Sunny Afternoon - The Kinks Sunshine Of Your Love - Cream Superstition - Stevie Wonder Sweet Child Of Mine Sweet Home Alabama - Skynyrd Sweets For My Sweet - The Searchers Sympathy For The Devil Take It Easy - The Eagles Pusher - Steppenwolf There's A Guy Works Down The Chip Shop Swears He's Elvis - Kirsty MacColl Things We Said Today - Beatles Thrill is gone Tin Pan Alley Tore Down Twist And Shout Up In Flames Vanity Voodoo Chile Waiting For The Bus - ZZ Top Walk In The Room - Searchers Walk This Way Walking Along The Street Wanted Dead Or Alive - Bon Jovi Watermelon Man - Herbie Hancock Way You Make Me Feel - Michael Jackson What's Up - Four Non Blondes While My Guitar Gently Weeps - The Beatles White Room - Cream Wicked Game - Chris Isaak Wild Thing Wind Cries Mary - Jimi Hendrix Wipeout Word Up Yesterday - Beatles You Can't Do That - The Beatles You Really Got Me - The Kinks You Shook Me Ziggy Stardust - David Bowie
    Are you going to learn "carriage return, linefeed" by the 0D0A's?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    I tried pasting it with the carriage returns in the main reply box but it errored with 'body of text' too long, so I had to open up the source input box and paste it into there instead. Also, I was in a hurry! If you're on facebook, I've also pasted the setlist onto my music page at
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    The Letter by the Boxtops has always gone down well when I've done it. Joe Cocker version optional depending how loose you want to make it! 
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1132
    Rush - Passage to Bangkok
    ZZ Top - Sharp dressed man, la grange, waitin for the bus, Tush

• Rush - Passage to Bangkok
    ZZ Top - Sharp dressed man, la grange, waitin for the bus, Tush
    Jesus Left Chicago!
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    Jesus Left Chicago!
    In fact, I think he JUST left...
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Thanks chaps - there's a few there to add to the list.

I'm thinking good time songs that cna be rocked up a bit if necessary - cool lead parts but simple parts during the vocals.  Seeing other peoples set lists is always good though - just to spot songs I don't already do that go down well :)