Overrated Or Consistently Diappointing Gear Reviewers / Demos

What's Hot
randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521

We've discussed some of the best gear demos before but there are a couple who always crop up at the top of YouTube searches who I find repeatedly atrocious at displaying the uniqueness or particular gear or playing in a style that best demonstrates an instrument, amp or pedal.

• Paul at Guitar World - Plays exactly the same things regardless of gear.
  • Gregg's Guitars - The man who can make a 2014 Epiphone SG sound exactly like a 1960s 335 (and not in a good way).  In fact everything sounds the same on his channel.

Any more?

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ROOGROOG Frets: 557
    All overdrives and distortion pedals in general, (might be the player)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    Twatters and the Craptin
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    impmann said:
    Twatters and the Craptin

Is it the sexual tension.... that's what really bugs me about those two?   

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3333
    impmann said:
    Twatters and the Craptin

Yup, absolute morons. Like beavis and butthead
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    impmann said:
    Twatters and the Craptin

Is it the sexual tension.... that's what really bugs me about those two?   

I think they have, but want to keep it personal...

• dampoldmandampoldman Frets: 44
    I really can't stand those two. Completely lacking in self-awareness.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    • Gregg's Guitars - The man who can make a 2014 Epiphone SG sound exactly like a 1960s 335 (and not in a good way).  In fact everything sounds the same on his channel.
    I unsubscribed for this very reason!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72390
    impmann said:
    Twatters and the Craptin

Yup, absolute morons. Like beavis and butthead
    … only not funny.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • DamianPDamianP Frets: 499
    Would be easy to to better then?
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22151
    The stoned guy at Gearwire. Dreadful but addictive. 

2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrn1989mrn1989 Frets: 240
    I swear Gearmandude's playing is getting sloppier 

:D
    Fretboard Feedback https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58705/  ALSO Over 500+ 100% feedback eBay transactions 
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6497
    edited June 2014
    Anyone who fails to demo a guitar on anything less than volume at full wick and tone at full wick.

Anyone who says "This is my clean tone" ...and actually has that "on the verge of breaking up" tone.

Anyone who says "This is just going straight into the amp...with just a touch of delay, a bit of compressor and my (insert name of OD/ dirt pedal here)".. So..not straight into the amp then, is it?!

EDIT: Oh and anyone who thinks that either just strumming a few chords down by the nut is a demo or that widdling at the dusty end is a demo. We need to hear BOTH please.

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10278
    impmann said:
    Twatters and the Craptin
    To be fair to Lee,he seems quite a decent guy when he's doing videos solo,and after all he does run an extremely successful businesses.He just turns into a bit of a bellend when he get with Chappers.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521

EDIT: Oh and anyone who thinks that either just strumming a few chords down by the nut is a demo or that widdling at the dusty end is a demo. We need to hear BOTH please.

On a similar note any guys who -

1. Talk for 3 mins.
    2. Strum a chord and cuts it off. 
    3. Says "So that's how that sounds!".
    4. Changes the settings.
    5. Returns to step one.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12351
    I didnt use to like Chappers but now he seem like an amiable buffoon, he doesnt take himself too seriouisly. I do have a man-crush on Phil X though, I could watch his reviews all day.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    edited June 2014
    None of the Wildwood videos I have seen would sell me a Les Paul Historic model - or the Tone King model amp that they use in the demos (although I would buy a different Tone King amp and I would buy a 2014 Historic - just not on the basis of these demos).

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6130
    jonnyburgo said:
    I do have a man-crush on Phil X though, I could watch his reviews all day.
    Hands off @jonnyburgo, I saw him first! ;)
    I don't get all this hatred for Chappers and Captain. They have a lot of fun making their videos, and I quite enjoy them. Certainly not hurting anyone and if it helps with Lee's business in these times of music-shops closing down left, right and centre then all power to them.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7961
    I get annoyed when I can't easily find sections relevant to my interests when it is a video that covers multiple aspects of the product.  I like reviews that have title screens or on screen annotations so I can scroll the preview and pick my section, but comments with time codes is also fine in the description.

Chances are unless I've looked for a specific long term user review I don't want to hear the blurb about what it is supposed to do as I've likely already read all about it.  Because of this the chatting at the start isn't much use to me unless it gives insight that you can't pick up audibly or from reading up online.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7290
    The only gear demo's I've ever found remotely useful have been Ola's

I like the whole song playthrough approach though and the fact that it's an ok'ish genre match for me is helpful. The guys demo'ing high gain with ACDC'ish riffs involving chords on the high strings and stuff like that is just a waste of time. That shit's for the crunch channel.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    My problem with Twatters and the Craptin is they manage (in between acting like 14 year olds after consuming too many Skittles) to make everything sound dreadful. 

Twatters always applies that wasp in jam-jar TONZ to every guitar and plays "trick licks" on everything - even if its not appropriate (their review of the Squier VM Jag and Jazzmaster is a case in point). 

Craptin at least keeps "DA GAIN" down, and I'd far prefer it if they left the demoing to him...

Andertons are doing very well currently - I don't think its got everything to do with their videos, its got more to do with their buying power vs customer service. And for the record, all power to their elbow on that - just IMHO, leave the 'act' alone. There is nothing more sad than watching your dad trying to dance "cool" at a party - and that is exactly how they come across in the videos IMHO.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.