Recommend me some jazz guitar tracks and albums please

What's Hot
xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
I used to listen to a load of jazz when I was in my late teens/ early 20s, but it was mostly all horn players. 

Now my son has started learning the sax I have got back into listening to jazz again, but I want to fill in the gaps in my listening by getting into some jazz guitar. 

My preference is for swing, bop, hard bop and 60s experimental. Above all I love stuff that (in the most general sense) swings. 

I've heard loads of different players here and there over the years and know lots of names, but what I'm after are pointers to specific tracks and albums that you think I'd enjoy and that will enable me to get to know jazz guitar music better. E.G. Grant Green's a name I know, but where would you recommend I start with him? 

I also know Django Reinhardt's music pretty well, but there's such a load of stuff out there that any personal recommendations for standout albums (e.g. Electric Django) would be much appreciated too. 

I don't mind the later 80s/90's stuff, but I have generally found the chorus-dominated sound of that era a bit annoying. Again, if anyone can recommend an album that I should sit down and give a chance to, then I'm all ears.  

Fire away :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Kenny Burrell - Midnight Blue
    Kenny Burrell & John Coltrane
    Wes Montgomery - The Incredible Guitar, and Smokin' at the Half Note
    Grant Green - The complete Sonny Clark Quartets
    Jim Hall & Bill Evans - Intermodulation, and Undercurrent
    Jim Hall & Pat Metheny
    Charlie Hayden & Pat Metheny - Beyond The Missouri Sky
    Johnny Smith - Moonlight in Vermont
    Anything by Charlie Christian, and Django, they started it
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    edited June 2014
    Asking a similar question to a previous guitar tutor years ago, he said: "If it's jazz and they've got a guitar in they're hand, they're gonna be good." 

Here's a few to start you off with.

First you mentioned Grant Green.  His album Idle Moments is probably a good an album as any.

Kenny Burrell Midnight Blue is simply superb, and the track K Twist is just so groovy.

One of my guitar favourite guitarists, regardless of genre is George Benson.  He just blows me away.  An album that really swings is It's Uptown.  I could listen to it all day.  The George Benson Cookbook is also another great jazz album.  And you've got to listen to the track On Broadway live.

Pretty much anything by Joe Pass.  Honestly, if I could play like Joe, I wouldn't leave the house.

There are loads of other great jazz guitar albums out there.  Hopefully these will get you on the right track. 
    :)
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2593
    edited June 2014
    Some good mainstream recommendations already given.  I'd add Concierto which is probably my favourite Jim Hall album.

Of the recent players the one that blows my socks off is Kurt Rosenwinkel.  I saw him in Berlin last month.  I know this will sound a bit OTT but I honestly think that for the first time in my life there's a jazz guitarist who's on the same level as the very best horn players and pianists.  He doesn't have as broad a range as the likes of Metheny and I've no doubt there are more virtuoso players (although his technique is staggering) but his musical imagination is amazing.  Don't take my word for it, here's Robben Ford  talking:

if you're not aware of a guitarist by the name of Kurt Rosenwinkel, this guy is an astonishing guitar player and my favorite that I have heard in years. This guys harmonic sense is so developed, that I listen to him play...it's jaw dropping to me how sophisticated and at the same time very soulful this guy plays, beautiful sound, everything. I admire that tremendously and it makes me just a little sad that I'll never be able to play like that, but again I've made my choices, I'm a blues player."

Picking an album is hard because I have a playlist of his music that I listen to over and over but have never paid  much attention to album names.  There are two main types of album, a more traditional (but still hugely imaginative and cliche-free) treatment of standards and his own compositions which usually feature a much more treated guitar sound and a fair bit of electronica.  Try Intuit for the former and The Next Step for the latter.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744
    One of the best Jazz Guitarists at the moment is Martijn van Iterson. Yes, I was shocked too, there seems to be more to guitar playing than just playing pentatonic riffs.

"Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    A nice mix of suggestions here. Many thanks all.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Jalapeno said:
    Jim Hall & Pat Metheny
    The list above plus:

Philip Catherine
    Larry Coryell
    Ulf Wakenius
    Lee Ritenour [late 90s onwards and before this he was jazz rock fusion]
    Jesse Van Ruller
    Jeff Golub
    Rene Thomas
    Ronny Jordan
    Paul Brown

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4137
    Looking outside of Jazz circles a little is an album of jazz standards covered by Steve Miller, lovely arrangements and tones throughout.
  • vizviz Frets: 10693
    Obviously jazz samba.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • bigdawgbigdawg Frets: 51
    Sonny Rollins - Alfie, obviously Sonny Rollins is a sax player but the guitar work by kenny burrell is fantastic..
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I think most guitarists should listen to more non-guitar music ... certainly in Jazz... but if you're going to listen then

Ted Greene (Danny Boy is a great one)

Jim Hall (especially with Jimmy Giuffre)

EARLY George Benson (especially Summer of 42)

LATER Ronny Jordan (Heaven is my personal favourite)

John Scofield - Uberjam (awesome). (I like: I break for monster booty and Uberjam)

There are loads more but I figured I'd share the ones that make me feel - if they inspire you've got the brains to go down the relevant rabbit holes ;)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4981
    Not a guitar album but inspiring: Jazz at the Pawnshop
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Some favorites of mine have already been mentioned, but I would have to add Barney Kessel to the list - not sure what's available at the moment album-wise, but I always liked his version of Autumn Leaves for one thing:

Another great jazz guitarist I like is Emily Remler (sadly no longer with us) - all her albums are great (though some a bit hard to get hold of now), and there is lots of great stuff also on http://www.allthingsemily.com - some terrific live recordings in the "Unpublished" section, plus transcripstions, recordings of old lessons she gave etc. etc. - all very useful for the learning jazz guitarist.

Jimmy Raney - another great jazz guitarist, just to add a further name.
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    +1 for Uberjam.  Amazing album. 
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Thanks again everyone. I think all these will make a nice summer of listening.

Much appreciated.
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Jalapeno said:
    Jim Hall & Pat Metheny
    Great post. I am gonna check out all of these.

I hope none of these guys are using a wound third because I hate that.   :-S

:))

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    They all are probably ! ;)

Barney Kessell's comping to Julie London's Cry Me a River - it basically set the bar, and pretty high it is too !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • FusionistaFusionista Frets: 184
    +1 and a wisdom for that. Julie London's voice has never IMO been better accompanied.
    "Nobody needs more than 20 strats." Mike Landau
  • luscombeluscombe Frets: 155
    This show features some of the best jazz ever.....

• luscombeluscombe Frets: 155

Sorry the link wouldn't attach. it's worth waiting for though!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1368
    edited June 2014
    Emily Remler - Firefly, Catwalk, Transitions, East To Wes
    Jim Hall and his modest Trio -   Good Friday Blues
    Tal Farlow
    Martin Taylor
    Ike Isaacs - Intimate Interpretations
    and for something a bit different,  Bill Frisell