Modes: most of the important ones

What's Hot
vizviz Frets: 10694
edited April 2014 in Theory

OK, here are the important modes. Hope you like my slightly unorthodox way of depicting them! 

http://www.guitaristtv.com/Downloads/Modes 2014_02_18 - for GTV.xlsx

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Ooh, I like that way of visualising the tones/semitones!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    Viz you just post the links on here, you don't need BBCode.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10694
    edited August 2013

OK lol, got it thanks!

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Nice Work Viz.

I'll try to get my head round that properly. Sometime. In the future. ish.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

Yes, it's not the most exciting thing about music, I'll give you that.
  • I think the visual thing looks pretty cool
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7143
    I think thats well laid out. Not that I have ever consciously looked at Modes in my playing....

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

edited August 2013

Thanks a lot - I've also used the same colour scheme throughout; and from the diatonic the colours are:

Ionian red, because it's strong and major

Dorian green, because of greensleeves

Phyrgian yellowy orange, because I don't know, it sounds yellowy orange and eastern and mysterious

Lydian pink because it's Steve Vai-ish and strident

Mixolydian brown because it has that brown flat sound

Aeolian blue because it's minor and blue

Locrian lilac because it's so bizarre and unsettling

and then I've used the same colours throughout the pages, so each mode can be easily identified. Eg in melodic minor, I've based it off the Aeolian, the first mode of the minor scale, so the first mode is blue (rather than having it based off the Ionian, red, and flattening the 3rd to make it minor, which would have been IMO incorrect), anyhoo etc.

• bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    Top work, Sir Viz of that ilk. I salute your indefatigability. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Haha ta :)
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261

I think for general music [not jazz / fusion / prog or other more 'out there' stuff

the main scales / modes to learn are diatonic major, natural minor, mixolydian and dorian

and maybe add the harmonic minor

these will cover most bases across most genres / styles

play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2013
    Absolutely, good point! And for the next phase, try:

Diatonic: 4th mode, "Lydian mode"
    Melodic minor: 4th mode, "acoustic scale" (more pleasing than diatonic Lydian IMO)
    Melodic minor: 1st and 5th modes
    Hungarian minor: 5th mode
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Ooooohhhhh ........ pretty ........... I see pretty .........

I just can't do scales by interval. I can figure it out on one string, but over all 6 explodes my head.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    A huge number of you have correctly pointed out that the major Locrian scale is just a mode of the Neapolitan major scale, and that the Gypsy scale is merely a mode of the Neapolitan minor scale, so for the sake of conciseness I have edited my post with the relevant modifications. Thanks to the many of you who PM'd me about these delicate points.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2013

comment deleted due to lots of mistakes :)

edited August 2013

In fact, seeing as you asked, here's a summary. :)

edited April 2014
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    viz said:
    A huge number of you have correctly pointed out that the major Locrian scale is just a mode of the Neapolitan major scale
    I scream when I hear the Neapolitan scale.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Hahahaha!! :)
  • photekphotek Frets: 1463
    viz said:

Phew, I don't have a 7 string guitar so I don't need to learn this ;) Great stuff viz thanks for sharing.