ASL From the maker of … Oil City!

What's Hot

Comments

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    edited August 2014 tFB Trader
    TTony said:
    @FelineGuitars

Don't see these on your website anywhere obvious ... 

Yup - finding time to play with dreamweaver seems to be hard of late, whilst Facebook and the forum seem easy to do during a tea break. I do need to do more website stuff and get our new shop site populated with stuff to sell, but getting myself cloned would seem to be the only way to find the hours to do it all at present. I'll try to find some time for it soon.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    I know that feeling.  I'll vote for a 36 hour day, saves on the cloning too   ;)
    How about a clickable link in your sig ?

• juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    edited August 2014
    WezV said:
    Now that's what a pawn shop mustang should look like!!
    I was also toying with putting pup rings around them to hide the holes, but thought, nah, this is more in the spirit of it.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10389
    edited August 2014 tFB Trader
    I may be doing that pawn shop look with the project Coronado that has been stalled for a while.

I can sympathize with Jonathan and getting his site sorted ... I had to take a whole day out to do updates last week.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

tFB Trader
    First look at what might be a new ASL pickup ... and the first ASL single coil.

Seen here in the bridge of my little Vintage SG Junior.

One of the issues with P90s is that new ones often lack a certain 'something' because the design causes the magnets to weaken in a very specific way over time. The 'like-poles together' configuration creates a softened magnetic field ... but also caused the magnets to 'rob' each other of charge. That weakened field is one of the reasons old P90s have a magic.
    There are several ways to weaken or degauss magnets in an attempt to replicate old ones. One approach is to use weaker magnets to start with: alnico 2, 3, or 4 rather than the anico 5 that the classic snarling Junior was equipped with. But not only are these magnets weaker, they have characteristics different to degaussed alnico 5 ... which retains it's snappy bass and searing high end.
    Some manufacturers use stronger magnets to degauss alnico 5 before fitting. This works, but is very difficult to repeat accurately.
    This prototype uses a totally new approach ... and ... to my ears sounds pretty much spot on.

It is not quite ready for mass market ... but if anyone is interested in an early 'evaluation example' at a discounted rate .... well :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Niiice :D
    tFB Trader
    A lovely pair of ASLs for an Ibanez RG guitar: a Transonic 70 and an Eddie

Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

tFB Trader
    Just added a dedicated ASL page to the Feline website
    Still needs some tweaking but will be good when it's all done

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27495
    That's an impressive range of pups!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    tFB Trader
    A sextet of ASL Blackbirds (named after the SR71 spyplane) destined to nestle in Blackmachine guitars ... all the bobbins will be taped up (like the one top right) to prevent scratching before being wound.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Clear pickups! Yes :D
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471

those clear pickups ash look great!

as for the P90's...sounds interesting...I have an SG that I may be tempted to try these out in...we may have to talk !

edited October 2014 tFB Trader

Just a quick word about the new Blackbird pickup:

ASL Blackbird (Blackmachine model)

A modern rock pickup with classic roots

Bridge pickup has all the crunch and top end clarity you'd expect from a ceramic magnet pickup, but without the harsh sizzle as we've done it all with alnico 5
    Neck pickup is a wonderful open expressive unit that stuns on clean, amazes as adirty rhythm pickup and soars on lead tones with amazing sweetness from an alnico4 magnet
    Best of all - the inbetween tone is like the best tele infused mix tone you ever heard - amazing!

• BasherBasher Frets: 1206
    Best of all - the inbetween tone is like the best tele infused mix tone you ever heard - amazing!
    You really know how target a chap's vulnerabilities, don't you?  ;)
    tFB Trader
    Here are what a set will look like:

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    I love the look of these
  • @FelineGuitars They look great. But I've just had the thought that they would look even better in that black and chrome guitar if they were wound with silver wire. I'm assuming pure silver wire would be exhorbitantly expensive but is there an alternative that has the silver appearance but at a cheaper cost?
    tFB Trader
    @FelineGuitars They look great. But I've just had the thought that they would look even better in that black and chrome guitar if they were wound with silver wire. I'm assuming pure silver wire would be exhorbitantly expensive but is there an alternative that has the silver appearance but at a cheaper cost?
    Sadly copper wire tends to look like.....Copper wire
    these will be avilable in black, cream or zebra, and possibly some other wild colours as well as maybe some covered options.

edited October 2014 tFB Trader
    Pickups can in fact be wound with pure silver wire ... silver is a better conductor than copper after all ... but you really really REALLY wouldn't like the cost :-)

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22823
    edited October 2014

Didn't Seymour Duncan have some kind of special anniversary set (or something) with silver wire?

(I could Google it, but I can't be bothered)