Bringing a Guitar from the states

What's Hot
Has anyone done this and how easy was it. I am in the market for another PRS and am off to California soon. I note that PRS guitars are somewhat cheaper in the states and thought i may get one out there. Now I have brought expensive goods home from places like Hong Kong and it was just a case of putting them in my luggage. However a guitar (with case) if a different proposition.

First of all is anyone aware of any decent guitar shops in the LA /San Fransico / Vegas area that sells PRS guitars.

Secondly any tips for making the purchase and journey stress free.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    edited June 2014
    Gate check the guitar and the flight staff will put it with their luggage so it doesn't go near the baggage handlers. They'll give you a ticket which you give to them on the other side.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33796
    Set neck guitar? Do not put it in the hold.
    Bolt neck guitar- buy without a case and remove the neck, pack it in your luggage.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • colskicolski Frets: 20
    edited June 2014
    I brought a Tele back from new York a few years ago, standard hardcase checked into the hold, popped out at the other end no bother, no customs checks or anything. With hindsight I was lucky though...
    Have also flown with BA long haul with a strat in a soft case and they allowed it into the cabin.
  • i have heard that some airlines will allow you to bring a guitar on board but its a big risk that they will not. my concern is whether a prs in a hard case will survive a hold journey. However i assume that at some point all PRS guitars after manufacture are shipped out by air . the prs case is pretty sturdy
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    Check what your airline's policy is on guitars.  I was able to take my Les Paul on with me when I came back from the US. 
    sunshinewelly;277036" said:
    i have heard that some airlines will allow you to bring a guitar on board but its a big risk that they will not. my concern is whether a prs in a hard case will survive a hold journey. However i assume that at some point all PRS guitars after manufacture are shipped out by air . the prs case is pretty sturdy
    Who are you flying with? Seriously if you gate check it you'll be fine and it won't end up going to the hold via the baggage throwers. A prs hardcase is too big to take into the cabin. The flight attendants have looked after every guitar I've checked at the gate.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11875
    A PRS case will not survive in the hold, it's heavy but it is not durable and tough for that kind of punishment.

If you ask TGP or the PRS forum they'll have lots of recommendations of dealers in California.
  • sunshinewellysunshinewelly Frets: 731
    edited June 2014
    I am flying with Norwegian airlines - i cant find anything on their site about gate check ins. Do all airlines offer this service?

also if gate checked where do i then pick up the guitar - do i wait dfor it outside plane etc.

The only airlines who have refused to gate check items for me have been budget airlines like sleazy jet.  I've only ever flown back to the uk from lax with delta, united, continental, virgin and british airways they've all gate checked guitars for me but I've never flown with Norwegian airlines.  I did have a look at their site for you and they will only take medium sized instruments in the cabin if you buy a second seat.  Your only option is to try and gate check or buy a flight case when you buy the prs and put it in the hold.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33796
    I am flying with Norwegian airlines - i cant find anything on their site about gate check ins. Do all airlines offer this service?

also if gate checked where do i then pick up the guitar - do i wait dfor it outside plane etc.

Call them.
    Ask for their policy in writing or an email saying that you CAN take it in the hold.
    Take a printed copy of that email with you.

I've been here many, many times.
    edited June 2014
    octatonic said:

Call them.
    Ask for their policy in writing or an email saying that you CAN take it in the hold.
    Take a printed copy of that email with you.

I've been here many, many times.

This is very good advice.

Also, are you taking any connecting flights at all?  I nearly fell foul of a connecting flight guitar policy once.  The main airline was happy for me to take my guitar on board with me but the connecting flight airline (a budget airline) were not.  I was very lucky that after chatting to the staff I was able to take it on board with me.  I had just completely forgotten to check what the connecting airline's policy would be, but I won't make that mistake again!
  • I am taking a south western flight so ideally may wait until i each San Francisco to get a guitar.

One thing i have noticed is that the difference in price between the USA and looking at Thommans is not as big as i thought. for example looking at sweetwater a PRS standad 408 is around £1500 in the USA and its around £1590 at Thommans.

there may be bigger savings if i get a decent second hand model though in the states.

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    I am taking a south western flight so ideally may wait until i each San Francisco to get a guitar.

One thing i have noticed is that the difference in price between the USA and looking at Thommans is not as big as i thought. for example looking at sweetwater a PRS standad 408 is around £1500 in the USA and its around £1590 at Thommans.

there may be bigger savings if i get a decent second hand model though in the states.

You would be cheaper buying from Thomann then as you will have 20% to pay at customs when you get back from the US.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    edited June 2014
    Gagaryn said:
    I am taking a south western flight so ideally may wait until i each San Francisco to get a guitar.

You would be cheaper buying from Thomann then as you will have 20% to pay at customs when you get back from the US.
    My understanding is that it would be 20% (VAT) plus import duty which iirc was 3 - 4% on top of that

Also, if you tried sneaking through the green channel and one of the customs people have a rummage through your luggage they add up everything that you've bought, tax you and then fine you for going through the wrong channel - this happened to us many years ago...
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448

It will be cheaper to get it from Thomann if you get it legally.

If you get it from Thomann you can't try before you buy.  If you go to a big shop in the US they will probably have a really good selection and you can try them and find one that you know you will really like.

I've been in a couple of shops in Orlando.  They have a realy good selection of high end stuff and they seem to sell a lot to English tourists.  I bought a Fender Modern Player while I was there but that's under the £390 threshold for paying duty.  I put the other stuff  I bought into my infant daughters luggage!
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7162
    My jag came through as luggage from the states very recently. All went swimmingly, but for Virgin Atlantic losing it for 20 hours. All ended well though, despite my heart attack and NTSB taking it off the flight to inspect. Zero pence of charges.
    If looking to save money I'd just buy s/h in this country personally.  Yes you can get past customs but if you were stopped you'd have to accept the consequences.  £90 off doesn't seem worth the gamble to me, but that is just my opinion.  For me the biggest advantage of buying in the US was the sheer size of the stores in the big cities, and that some cities have several big stores within driving distance.  The choice is yours but the law is the law.
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7162
    See, I agree with this in theory. I saved maybe over a grand, but it was still a ballache I wouldn't readily repeat.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11875
    edited June 2014

£90 off is not worth the hassle of buying it and getting it home, the worry of the airport and the hold, the customs charge and duty and possible fine.

It's a PRS, so the quality control should be first rate and I have no problem buying a PRS online. 

Get it from Thomann's. 

• I've purchased two guitars in the USA, one each time I've played there.

The first time coming back from New York, the check in staff were great and let me take the guitar on board with me and put it in the First class storage/wardrobe (I was in economy I hasten to add!!) Was pain free.

The second time, on American Airlines from LA, they were arseholes. I had to check my brand new taylor despite my pleading, and when I got to the luggage carousel, they had left it in the middle of the concourse, with people stepping around and over the case! Never again.

I was lucky as it was when we got two dollars to the pound so the guitar cost me half of what it would have here in the UK. I sold it for nearly double what I paid for it. You wouldnt be that lucky now.

Both times I just walked confidently through the green customs channel at the airport and never got stopped.