Got a wiring problem - need advice pls

SnapSnap Frets: 6264
Hi,

Hoping someone in the know can shed a bit of light on a problem I've got with my bass.

it's  bass collection two pickup, one p style, one j style, active, with a barrel jack socket. Started to get a problem with the jack - not getting any sound unless I pull the jack about 2/3 way up the barrel. When it's fully in, no sound.

I had some problems with the wiring - battery fell out and yanked the cables out, but I'm pretty sure they are back in the right place. I've replaced the jack, wiht a new barrel jack, a stereo one, like you are supposed to have with an active circuit, but the problem with the jack remains-  must be the wiring?

cheers for any help, friggin buggin me, for sure.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72322
    Sounds like the jack is wired wrong. How many terminals does it have, excluding the ground - two, or three?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    two, it's one of these: Switchcraft #152B Long-Threaded 1/4"

SO I'll know what is wrong, what whould be wired to each bit? Got the jack ground (ie the "tail" of the jack) and the two terminals on the base of the barrel.

COming into it are four wires - pickup ground, live and neutral from battery, and one other wire from a control

jeez, just typing this makes me realise how long it is since I did any wiring! Spent too much recent time on synths, obviously!

cheers
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72322
    The ground goes to the 'tail', the battery negative to the longer of the two terminals, and the wire from the volume pot to the shorter one The battery positive shouldn't go to the jack, it should go directly to the circuit.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Cheers, there's 2 wires from the circuit, one black one yellow, get where the rest go. And immediately I see one problem which is the battery connection. The buffer is, these basses are so rare there's little online resource
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    They're rare but well-liked, especially on Basschat. If you go on there, you're bound to find some folk who know exactly how it should be wired.
    Nice one, thanks. Yep, really good bass. Love it, sounds and plays superb, well, it did....!!