Lead boost suggestions?

What's Hot
ReverendReverend Frets: 4999
I tune down to C. Use either a bad monkey or Marshall Guv'nor into a Marshall jmp2203 for main rhythm sound and was looking at a lead boost. My main ideas were either an eq or else something like the ehx line boost pedal.
an ideas or comments would be welcome. Thanks.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17607
    tFB Trader
    How much are you looking to spend. 

TC Spark, or Xotic RC would be good choices. 

The Mooer Pure Boost is an RC Boost clone.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2927

Do you want more gain/comp/saturation or just more volume? If you've got a lot of pre-amp gain going on you won't get much more volume out of the front end.

FWIW I boost my amp with a TS9 and use a T-Rex Twin Boost in the fx loop for more volume. I've used a Boss EQ, EHX LPB-1 and a SHO clone in a similar fashion in the past and they've worked fine too.

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    BlackStar HT? Has Bs/Treb pots so you can back those off to enhance your mids when you kick it in. And it has 2 o/p sockets, one for giving valve amps a serious kick up the jacksie, and another for a more moderate amount of boost.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    Bidley is right, without an FX loop you're limited by how much gain you're already using in to the front.

IMO the best option in this case is to work backwards, if at all possible.  Really depends on how much gain you're getting from pedals and how much of a volume boost you're looking for.  But the theory would be to get an EQ and just set the whole chain up so your main tone is your solo tone with the EQ disengaged.  Then switch on the EQ to cut you back down to your rhythm tone, which could either mean reducing mids or just reducing level (which would also affect gain and saturation).

You are likely going to need to compromise here just by nature of an amp with no FX loop.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Funnily I would have suggested a Bad Monkey.

Maybe something like a SD-1, with the gain low, and the volume set for a boost.

Although I do like the MXR Distortion 3. Even though I think Rev isn't a big MXR fan..... 

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• The boss sd-1 just works so well into a Marshall, but if the gain is already there it might just give more saturation.

How about increasing the gain on the amp, then stepping on a volume box - literally a pot in front of the chain. When on, it'll reduce the volume to rhythm gain, then turn it off for gain and volume.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited June 2014
    I'm selling an EHX Signal Pad (volume pot in a box). £20 delivered. http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/17960/fs-ehx-signal-pad#latest