Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What Y'all learning?

What's Hot

Comments

• Barney;26874" said:
    bigjon said:

City Nights by Allan Holdsworthgood luck.. :)
    Good choice...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    Tommy Emanuelle's - Angelina & Somewhere Over The Rainbow

Can sort of play Angelina but still struggling with some of the timing .....
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10692
    mike_l said:
    viz said:
    City Nights has some really hard wide spaced hammered arps - good luck! I've got to learn 7 more rock songs and solos for Jonno :)
    Which ones?

they don't really have names yet :)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    viz said:

they don't really have names yet :)

I'll name them for you.

Song 1

Song 2

Song 3

Song 4

Song 5

Song 6

Song 7

Nothing too technical

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited September 2013
    Most recently the bassline to Carole King's "Too late" and revisiting 2 X Squeeze guitar solos, "Is that love" and "Another nail in my heart". Glenn Tilbrook is one underrated guitarist!
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 616

Old man by Neil young...love that tune..

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    edited September 2013
    close2u said:

for a new band meet up / audition ...

Journey - Don't Stop Believing (never really liked this song ... the guitar part is okay ... trickly fast repeater lick at the start ... pretty much the same progression etc as Another Girl Another Planet ... now there's a thought for a segue!)

We started playing the Journey song a couple of months ago and it's a bit Marmite with the audience but when it works it works really well so I've got into it on that basis.  We have only one guitar in the band so we've split the keyboards with the bass taking the left hand line and I do the right hand.  And the easiest way I found with that lick is to leave it out!  (tapping it was the other cheat way too, quite easy like that.)

Never noticed the Only Ones similarity though so I'll have a listen to that! :-)
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    I once started learning Little Wing (the SRV one) but I am easily distracted. Today, I found that I had tuned my guitar down to C and decided to finally learn No One Knows.
  • Summertime - two versions with different Chords.
    Street LIfe, which has an array of varied and interesting /chords.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307

"Streetlife" is a great one to learn @ArchtopDave

• I did start on I Fought the Law But the Law Won but the Clash version has about 4 guitar lines so it sounds a bit pathetic on the solo parts when I do it. They are composed little bits so I can't do my usual make a bluesy noise with some double stop bends. So I either need to find a way to do them at least as double stops or just invest in a fuzz pedal or something!

I do that that one in a single guitar line-up @erictheweary, tricky one to avoid sounding empty so I just go for maximum filth. We've never recorded us playing it so I've no idea how it actually sounds in the band context...might well be rubbish!
  • ftumch said:
    I've been asked to learn 'devil went down to Georgia' for next week. I've only heard it a couple of times so don't really know the song that well, better give it a listen me thinks.
    @ftumch check out Keith Urban's version Devil Went Down To Nashville, it's got crazy train and a bunch of other riffs in the middle. That guy can play

I've got to learn John Legend

• close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    Grunfeld said:
    We started playing the Journey song a couple of months ago and it's a bit Marmite with the audience but when it works it works really well so I've got into it on that basis.  We have only one guitar in the band so we've split the keyboards with the bass taking the left hand line and I do the right hand.  And the easiest way I found with that lick is to leave it out!  (tapping it was the other cheat way too, quite easy like that.)

Never noticed the Only Ones similarity though so I'll have a listen to that! :-)

I've never really liked it myself ... so have never even contemplated bothering to learn it ... now that I am I can appreciate smoe of the riffs n stuff ... though it's still not exactly amongst my favourites.

The band I'm having a try out with has a keyboard player and he has gigged this song so I'll have to see what he plays and figure out what I will play / leave out.

I'm not sure I understand what you wrote ... you have no keys so you and the bassist play the parts between the two of you?

Enjoy The Only Ones ... imho it knocks the socks off Don't Stop Believing.

• I did start on I Fought the Law But the Law Won but the Clash version has about 4 guitar lines so it sounds a bit pathetic on the solo parts when I do it. They are composed little bits so I can't do my usual make a bluesy noise with some double stop bends. So I either need to find a way to do them at least as double stops or just invest in a fuzz pedal or something!

I do that that one in a single guitar line-up @erictheweary, tricky one to avoid sounding empty so I just go for maximum filth. We've never recorded us playing it so I've no idea how it actually sounds in the band context...might well be rubbish!
    I've tried making it double stops with a fifth above or below the note and it just doesn't sound right, nor do thirds even though there is some kind of harmony thing going on on the original.Based on playing it at home a bit of slapback seems to help.
    Also doing Should I Stay by them which is great for one guitar and couldn't be much easier except I haven't got the timing on the outro section right once yet! I played it in my first ever band and don't recall having this problem, so I appear to have regressed.
    X_X
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 681
    benvall said:
    ftumch said:
    I've been asked to learn 'devil went down to Georgia' for next week. I've only heard it a couple of times so don't really know the song that well, better give it a listen me thinks.
    @ftumch check out Keith Urban's version Devil Went Down To Nashville, it's got crazy train and a bunch of other riffs in the middle. That guy can play

I've got to learn John Legend

That's great, I love how he's just having fun with it. after listening to it I'd written it off as beyond my abilities but I think I might just give it a go and make it mine rather than trying to learn it to the original. Cheers for that.
  • I have fond memories of seeing The Levellers play Devil Went Down to Georgia, although the fiddle parts were done by, err, a fiddle.
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 681
    I've got a bee in my wotsit about 'the devil went down' now and I'm gonna learn it even if it does take me a year. I'm at about 190bpm on the intro so 15 mins a day trying to get my speed up, it's probably the kick up the arse I need tbh, I've gotten so lazy with practising its no wonder I never get any better but I'm gonna do this.
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    Is that a 6 saddle bridge on Keith urbans tele?

He obviously doesn't spend enough time on Internet forums!
  • I had half an hour and thought I should look at something, so been learning to strum through Nelly the Elephant by the Toy Dolls. There are several chords!
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Just for S'n'G I did learn Ac/DC's The Jack this evening.

Nothing particularly hard

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21)