cycle of fifths

What's Hot
stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7143
A handy little video for this useful little tool.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Hadn't come across this site before, good to know about, cheers!

One objection:
    "A tool to help musicians calculate Key Signatures" - possibly the least exciting description I've ever heard for what is an awesome musical tool!
  • Mrs. Stoo printed this version of the circle for me

PSN id : snakey33stoo
  • @snakemanStoo: Looks nice - got a bigger version?
  • snakemanStoosnakemanStoo Frets: 1708
    edited August 2013
    Just googled tolkien circle of fifths.

My printout is A3
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
  • citizen68citizen68 Frets: 172
    edited August 2013
    AC/DC use the cycle of fourths in their song 'Can I Sit Next to you Girl' cycling from G back to F# during the lead break.

Who says they weren't musicalz hedgemacated?  

:)
    Seemed like a good idea.....

• vizviz Frets: 10693
    edited March 2016
    Been thinking about this for a couple of years :). Is it not anticlockwise up the fourths from C# to G? Another good one is Brother Can You Spare a Dime in C minor, which has in the verse A cycling anticlockwise from A to Eb. Hey Joe is the classic clockwise one from C to E.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    edited March 2016
    A necro-bump about the cycle of fifths occurring as chord changes? Hmm. Let's do the time warp again. ;)
    :))
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • I want to write some music, how does The Circle of Fifths help me?
    edited March 2016
    I want to write some music, how does The Circle of Fifths help me?

Well it really doesn't, that's not its purpose. It's just a map of the keys for explaining the relationship between them. It's not intended to help to create melody or rhythm (though it does help with harmony), in the same way a dictionary doesn't help anyone to write a novel. It's more an explainer than an inspirer - It's very helpful for analysing music that's already there (and for getting your key signature right).

Here's one I made earlier. http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab217/Vizzage/Mobile Uploads/image_zpscyvmwj6b.jpeg
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Actually @handsome_chris, the cycle of 5ths can be used to form diatonic chord progressions if you have problems finding what chords "fit" in a normal progression.

You'll want this circle. And this video will help immensely.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    There you go!