Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72323
    Yes.

By making a new top.

Ideal project if you want to start to learn about major guitar repair and building, but not economical otherwise!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33795
    This is exactly what I need for my repair and restoration module in my final year of the degree. Yes repairable and yes I would make an new soundboard for it.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11894
    for a non-luthier, replacing a soundboard is expensive, and AFAIK only practical in a G8 country if the guitar is worth £1k+ when repaired
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2927
    That's what I thought, I just wondered why people would buy something so bolloxed! Surely it'd be easier to buy a guitar that hasn't been destroyed? Unless you wanted it for educational purposes, like @octatonic.
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3325
    Someones pissed off his girlfriend.....
    OK, I've bought it.
    Will be picking it up sometime this week.

Look for a 'I have a thing to repair' thread sometime in September.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Awesome! I look forward to seeing how you get on. Do ask how it got in that state when you pick it up, then report back ;)
    Will do.
    It does look suspiciously heel-of-shoe sized :).

Although I do know of one pro player who did that accidentally to his own Gibson, which he'd left lying at the side of the stage, so it doesn't necessarily prove malice/female input.

Good to hear it will have a useful purpose in being fixed.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited July 2014
    Cheers ICBM.
    I got it pretty cheap too.
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Nice little project,

Good to see it will be brought back to life,  make a great photo story  :)

• gubblegubble Frets: 1746

Sorry just reminded me of this
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Still haven't managed to pick it up as the seller cancelled on me yesterday and then today didn't get back to confirm a time until it was too late.

I did speak to him on the phone and yes, someone kicked it- deliberately from what I gather.
    Didn't say if it was his missus or not.

;)
    edited July 2014
    I've collected it and told him about this thread.

So the plan is to try to replicate the existing soundboard but with a higher quality wood (won't be hard, frankly).
    The bridge is ruined because he didn't slacken off the strings enough and it is lifting up.
    The damage is limited to the soundboard- the sides, back and neck are fine- I don't think I'll even need to replace the kerfed linings (although I might as they are a bit shit).

So- new solid mahogany top, spruce braces and maple patches.
    X braced design as you would expect.
    Going to do some nice binding- not sure what, maybe rosewood or pauferro and maybe a bit of herringbone purfling.
    Bridge will be rosewood and probably going to do ebony bridge pins as I like them.

As to how the damage happened- I'm afraid @lustycourtier is right.
    As I got it cheap I decided to offer it back to him for costs plus what I paid for it if he wants to.
    Totally up to him, I'm not bothered if he doesn't- but he seemed amenable to this suggestion.

I'm going to create a new thread for the repair but here are some before pics:

Are you sure the bridge is ruined? Even if it's lifting, unless it's actually split it will be re-usable once the glue has been cleaned off it… unless you just fancy making a new one anyway.

To be honest I'd be inclined to 'upgrade' it by making a spruce soundboard too. I actually quite like the sound of these all-mahogany guitars, but it's harder to make a good thin mahogany soundboard without it being too fragile than it is with spruce, apparently.

Yes, you're right, I probably could salvage the bridge- but it doesn't take me long to make a new one.

I thought about doing a spruce soundboard- actually I can get an A grade board for £25 through my uni- maybe that is a better idea.
    I thought about cedar too- but that will be more money.
    octatonic said:
    I thought about cedar too- but that will be more money.
    Ah… but cedar might be a useful experiment, because Martin don't do a cedar-top guitar (as far as I know). Might be interesting to know what it sounds like! I didn't think of that until you mentioned it, although to be honest I don't like cedar tops usually. But is it the cedar, or the guitar design they're usually put on? Aha!

Cedar can be really nice- it doesn't have as much top end as spruce, usually.
    Quite a bit softer too.

I'll probably go for spruce though.

Sad to hear how it got damaged, I'd be particularly gutted. I do look forward to seeing how you get on with it, this thread has turned out more educational than I thought!

Nice to know my eBay-trawling isn't always a complete waste of time.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    octatonic said:
    Cedar can be really nice- it doesn't have as much top end as spruce, usually.
    Quite a bit softer too.
    I find cedar too soft-sounding and lacking in definition/punch compared to spruce, but I'm not 100% certain it isn't the guitar design rather than the wood itself - it's rare to find exact equivalents made with both woods.