Marshall 1959HW

What's Hot
Bluetonic73Bluetonic73 Frets: 60
Can anyone confirm when Marshall started manufacturing the 1959 100whandwired head? I'm watching one on fleabay and it looks like a 2004 serial number which I think is a bit early. I.e it's a plexi reissue and not HW. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261521165926
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    2005 I think.

I wouldn't buy that one anyway without a thorough professional inspection since it has been dropped *extremely* hard - like off the top of two 4x12"s - on its end, which is why the OT is bent like that. I'm actually surprised it's reached that angle without either tearing off the transformer feet or pulling the nuts through the chassis.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeh, I didn't even notice that, you could be right, I'm not sure a drop would do that knowing how well the OT is seated, but it can't imagine how else this could of happened. I don't think it's the handwired version either, maybe the seller bought it from someone dodgy!
    edited July 2014
    A really heavy drop will do that if the amp lands on its end. That is fairly typically of shipping damage - where drops can be off conveyor belts onto concrete warehouse floors etc - or if the head falls off the top of a stack and comes down end-on, and either way I would want to check how bad it is before paying for it. If the chassis holes are enlarged or the feet are broken it will always be a bodge even if you straighten it.

Seems suspiciously cheap for a HW too, although I know people don't always start auctions at the price they want.

Maybe ask the seller for an inside-chassis pic to check for damage from the bent transformer? ;) That should settle the question of whether it's an HW...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Just asked for another pic, seems- genuine seller although not to knowledgable about Marshall amps. There is an original model number underneath the plexi panel ( in the new pic) showing 1959HW. So it is a VERY early handwired model that's probably been dropped, although he states no damage to the cabinet (possibly dropped whilst out of the cabinet)
    Just asked for another pic, seems- genuine seller although not to knowledgable about Marshall amps. There is an original model number underneath the plexi panel ( in the new pic) showing 1959HW. So it is a VERY early handwired model that's probably been dropped, although he states no damage to the cabinet (possibly dropped whilst out of the cabinet)
    Unlikely. To bend it like that would take more of a drop than from a bench to the floor.

The cabinets are surprisingly strong unless the amp lands at an awkward angle on one corner. I've seen loads of amps with bent transformers like this - although not usually as bad - and it's very rare that the cabinet is damaged. Although most other makers don't fit the reinforcing brackets to the transformers like Marshall do either, so they bend more easily.

If the brackets aren't torn and the chassis isn't pulled up, go for it!