What strings..for my Taylor 314CE ???

siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
Time to get a new set of .12's on. Elixirs are a bit steep at almost £15 a set...so any as good equivilents for less ?? Failing that Elixirs it will be! Advise me! :-)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72510
    D'Addario Phospor Bronze (EJ16). Probably the closest thing to an industry standard set of acoustic strings there is.

But that's because I hate Elixirs with an intense fury. They exaggerate the already slightly thin and artificial tone of the Taylor and make it much worse. I had a 312CE for several years - the D'Addarios give it more punch and a warmer tone.

If you do want to try something more expensive and possibly better-sounding, DR Rare are nice.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    ICBM said:
    D'Addario Phospor Bronze (EJ16).
    Exactly what I have used on my 414 for the last 15-16 years.  Never been happy with anything else.  When I first purchased it, it came with three sets of Elixirs and was a phenomenal sounding acoustic already.  I then switched to EJ16 and it sounded twice as good again - so much more alive.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    edited July 2014
    Hmmm interesting. ...I like the lack of squeak on coated strings but for the price I just might give your suggestions a shot since elixirs are a bit on the steep side. Only gripe I've had when I've used D'Addarios on electrics is that as the strings all share 1 packet together the plain silver E,B,G string often had black spots on them like lil specs of corrosion..never had that on any other brand of strings but several times on D'Addarios. Soundwise they were fine though with that gripe aside.
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521

Touch wood, I've never had that problem.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9670
    When I switched from Elixirs to D'Addarios on my Taylor it was like gaining an octave. I've been using EXPs ever since - they're a good compromise between the endurance of coated strings and the tone of uncoated strings IMO.
    Well then ya set of bar stewards you've scuppered my plans on Elixirs. I just done gone ordered some of dem EJ16s. At the price can almost get 3 sets to 1 of Elixirs. :)
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 628
    I like Elixirs only cos they last so long and Im lazy.

Saying that I currently have the cheapest set I could find on Ebay on my 314 at the mo but will order some EJ16s for a try, thanks gents
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8539
    EJ16's all the way. No idea why Taylor insist on fitting Elixirs, well ok I do, because they last longer whilst waiting to be sold, but it must also put off a fair few people when trying their guitars. The improvement in tone the EJ's give is marked.
    edited July 2014

I got the EJ16's...and the funny thing here is the strings I've taken off weren't Elixirs after all. Can you guess what they were??      

Still new set on now n it sounds nice...such a difference putting new strings on after the old ones have been on for months. I'm generally not too bad with changing strings on my Electrics once they lose their twang on the low strings..but this acoustic since I bought it a few months ago hasn't had any new strings on and I don't know how long the previous owner had 'em on either. But these new ones sound very zingy and lack not in the twangy dept. So..lesson is don't waste yer money paying almost triple the price..just get EJ16s. :)

• MistyMisty Frets: 135
    I used to use EJ16s exclusively on my acoustics, including the 314ce I had at the time. However, I started doing some band and solo gigs on that guitar, and the D'Addarios were knackered by the end of one gig. That changed when I started using Elixirs, they lasted considerably longer. Tone-wise, a new set of EJ16s sound great though.