Complimentary or not?

What's Hot
ROOGROOG Frets: 557
edited September 2013 in Bass

When learning to play guitar, do you chaps consider it a big mistake to take up the bass or would it actually be a useful complimentary thing to do? 

By which I mean won't hinder?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33795
    Useful and complimentary if you have the time to do it properly.
  • Depends entirely on your own approach to it.

If you do the cliche metal thing and merely double the guitar - then there's not a lot of point. 

But if you want to treat it like a different instrument and explore counter-points and walking, and how a proper rhythm section works then it can really open up your compositional skills.

I play both but have concentrated on bass for 20 years. I tend to write vocal melody, then bass, then guitar. Works for me!
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7786
    complementary

;)
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I'd say go for it.   I definitely prefer gigging with a guitar but bass is fun and there is enough overlap in the techniques to make it worthwhile. 
    I can't see how it would hold back your guitar playing and having a better awareness of the sublties of both instruments will make you a better musician.

and there are probably more gigs for bassists ;-)
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6104
    I started out on bass then decided to learn guitar to make sure the other band members couldn't pull the wool over my eyes.. interestingly the guitarist in my first decided to learn to play bass after seeing Level 42 and ended up being a fine player of both instrument.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33795
    The main thing for me is it makes you appreciate just how much skill 'proper bass playing' requires.
    I did a project with Dave Marks recently- that guy is so on the ball.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 557
    edited September 2013
    I ask because, teaching my self with the help of the Internet is going to be a challenge, but I used to play bass on synth, along with rhythm and flaky lead, and the bass parts always seemed to provide me with the opportunity to play some 'harmonised percussion' without having to play drums, and that is never going to happen. No doubt about it, talented bass players are amazing, I'm aiming for could be a benefit to a pub band.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72323
    Very beneficial as long as you do think of them as separate instruments. If nothing else, it just makes you listen to the music as a whole more and not only concentrate on the guitar parts.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited September 2013
    Complimentary (Edit:complementary) and +1 to all that's been said, especially ICBM and Octatonic's comments.

I'm just finding all this out after years of playing guitar as I'm playing bass for the first time in a trio with an acoustic guitarist and singer in a few weeks time. It's more than just playing root notes. The timing, rests, damping of notes. The differences and subtleties of using a pick or fingers, and where along the string you strike the note. Making good use of ascending and descending patterns i.e. going in the opposite direction to the chord sequence, if that makes sense, 5ths, octaves etc etc and playing on slower numbers can be so hard and that's just regular bass. What about 5/6 strings and fretless?

There's a whole new world out there and if you fancy combining bass and guitar, check out the phenomenal Charlie Hunter on his Novax guitar!

Paul_C said:
    complementary

;)

Sorry about my terrible spelling :)

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    ROOG said:
    Paul_C said:
    complementary

;)

Sorry about my terrible spelling :)
    Aye. He took us all with him. Nothing's free in this world
    ;)
  • MosfedMosfed Frets: 25
    I love doing both.

I am a guitarist by training and a bassist in my current band.  I have never enjoyed playing as much as I do right now.  It does help that we have a bad ass drummer.  Playing bass without a great drummer is not nearly as much fun.

I just fancy a change, and wondered if it would cause havoc with my meagre 'efforts' to play Guitar :0)

I am trying to borrow one off my daughter's bloke at the moment, must step up my efforts or buy one. 

• MosfedMosfed Frets: 25
    ^^^^
    I think it can only help.  Seriously.  The only way it can hurt is that most of us do not have unlimited time to practice and if you are dedicating some of that time to a bass, then...

But I would encourage you

Ta, Mosfed,

I shall pester said 'bass owner' to try his. I have offered to 'take a look' at his amp as that has some niggling connection issues, so perhaps he can be persuaded to bring both round.