Anyone using Genelecs?

What's Hot
Curious. They've got a trade in deal at the moment for some of their entry range monitors. Trade in your existing monitors, get a discount on a pair of their active models.

http://sourcedistribution.co.uk/news/article.php?aid=702

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17606
    tFB Trader
    I used to use them quite a bit at the Beeb. 

They are very good quality monitors. Generally the opinion seemed to be quite positive about them so they got used across a lot of projects.
  • spacecadetspacecadet Frets: 671
    Had a pair of 8040's for a few weeks in my old studio and they nothing short of spectacular. Not as "honest" as you might need/ want them to be but they sounded fantastic. Huge sweet spot! I went for the KRK VXT8's in the end which had the NS10 thing (also had a pair of those to switch to) as well as all the other stuff you want to hear. You certainly won't be disappointed with them.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I'm using Tannoy Reveals right now, and actually have been since I was 17; the same bloody pair!! Just got used to them I guess. Thinking about trading them in against either the Genelec 8020C's or the 8030B's.

The low-end on these Tannoy's is kinda all over the shop, and very very resonant. Some of that is the room, but it's always been somewhat of a problem in every place I've been in, so I'm blaming the monitors too. I'd like a smoother low end with less wall-shaking-resonance and less of a 100hz spike that ends up pissing off my neighbour anytime I make dubstep!!

I am assuming that either pair of the Genelec's will be a pretty big upgrade?
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17606
    tFB Trader
    Drew_fx said:
    I'm using Tannoy Reveals right now, and actually have been since I was 17; the same bloody pair!! Just got used to them I guess. Thinking about trading them in against either the Genelec 8020C's or the 8030B's.

The low-end on these Tannoy's is kinda all over the shop, and very very resonant. Some of that is the room, but it's always been somewhat of a problem in every place I've been in, so I'm blaming the monitors too. I'd like a smoother low end with less wall-shaking-resonance and less of a 100hz spike that ends up pissing off my neighbour anytime I make dubstep!!

I am assuming that either pair of the Genelec's will be a pretty big upgrade?
    Definately!

We've got some Reveals at work for testing and Genelecs are a big step up.
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    Well worth the upgrade, and get yourself some decent isolation pads and/or stands as well to make the most of them. My 'better' University studios had Genelecs, great monitors (although I ended up buying a pair of the HHB Circles that the 'midrange' studios had because I couldn't afford Genelec and I like purple ;)).
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33794
    I've mixed in Genelecs a lot.
    Personally I prefer Dynaudio but Genelec do some great speakers.
    I have some decent enough stands with basic Studiospares isolation pads. I think the physics of my room is not that conducive to good sound, and there is a limit to the treatment I can do because it's a rented flat. But I am going to be doing some broadband absorbers in a month or so. New monitors would be a nice birthday prezzie to myself too! :D
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22116
    Pretty good offer. I wish Eve Audio would do something like that as I'd love a pair of SC205s. I think I shall have to console myself with some JBL LSR305s in the meantime though. 

I'm also looking at the Adam A7X's - seen a lot of love for them in metal circles.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    I liked Adams better. That's what I bought: P11s and a Sub 10
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    I got the yamaha HS7...had them about 3 months but not set up yet !

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    Drew_fx said:
    I'm also looking at the Adam A7X's - seen a lot of love for them in metal circles.
    Yes but I would have the option of a defeatable sub with the Adams.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    Which Dynaudios do you have @octatonic ? I've seen mk2 bm6as at a reasonable price. Currently using Yamaha HS8s, I find them pretty bright around guitar presence frequencies. I don't enjoy them much and feel like I make dull mixes on them.
    I have the original BM6a's. I've been using them since 2002. The new ones are great too.
    Thanks.

I need to figure out where to go to test monitors.  When I looked around Manchester nobody had multiple 'mid' range sets, lots of choice around the sub £400 mark but between that and £1k shops tended to have just one brand in stock, or if they had more than one brand in stock they didn't have comparably sized models.

I did get a chance to hear Adam A8x and I felt they sounded pretty scooped.  I didn't find them harsh like I find the HS8s, but they were definitely bass heavy with plenty of high end and pulled back mids when I heard them.  The HS8s sounded really clear in the shop when I tested them but the only other things they had in that shop were KRK RPs, which I'm familiar with having had the 5 and 6 inch G2s.  I'm now thinking I just made a sideways step from muddier to harsher, rather than going to a more revealing monitor.  Currently doing a lot of my mixing on Audio Technica M50 X headphones, which isn't ideal.  I've got corner bass traps (GIK tri traps) and first reflection points done at the sides (GIK 242).  More treatment will help for sure but I still think I want different speakers.
    Thanks.

I need to figure out where to go to test monitors.  When I looked around Manchester nobody had multiple 'mid' range sets, lots of choice around the sub £400 mark but between that and £1k shops tended to have just one brand in stock, or if they had more than one brand in stock they didn't have comparably sized models.

It is really tough especially given you don't want the best sounding monitor you can buy- you want the flattest.
    Also, a major issue is one of calibration- because we are so sensitive to volume even a 0.5db difference in volume between one set of speakers to the next will be interpreted as one being better than the other because it is louder.
    We respond to 'louder' and it takes real discipline to distinguish between flatter/better/louder etc, esp in a busy shop.

It is virtually impossible to test them any place other than the room that you will be mixing in, as well.

Honestly though, most products in a similar price point will be approximately the same- one might have more bass, or a more detailed mid range, or be capable of being louder before distorting etc but be lacking in another area.
    As you get up around £2k a pair those differences become even smaller and it becomes a matter of diminishing returns.

I love my Dynaudios but he main reason they work for me is I've been using them for a dozen or so years.
    The first few years as I changed over from NS10's it took me a while to get used to them- there were more than a few ropey mixes.
    The A7X's and A8X's are supposed to sound quite different. The A7X's have all the mids.
    edited July 2014
    Yeah that makes a lot of sense.  I guess I'll need to bite the bullet on something s/h and see what I think.  All I know right now is I'm not enjoying the Yamahas nor do I think I'm making any decent mixes on them.

Well, that and when I went to a studio that had a pair of PMC MB2s I wanted to win the lottery.
    edited July 2014
    Drew_fx said:
    The A7X's and A8X's are supposed to sound quite different. The A7X's have all the mids.

Yeah, I really wanted to hear the 7s.  I see them for sale s/h every now and then but haven't taken the plunge yet.  The guy who's ear I trust most locally reckons I should get Genelecs.  He's the sound engineer for a major electronic act and he's been to my room and helped me figure how to treat it.  He's not much of a rock/metal head though.  I always read online that Genelecs sound 'finished' too soon, but I've stopped reading Gearslutz much as you never know who is saying what... it took me a while of lurking to figure some of the posters are vendors who were only recommending stuff that they personally sold (hmm!).  Only ever heard 1031s in person, they were bright but that is all I remember.
    Drew_fx said:

I always read online that Genelecs sound 'finished' too soon, but I've stopped reading Gearslutz much as you never know who is saying what...
    Sorry but that is nonsense.
    Gearslutz is full of idiots repeating what they hear from other idiots.