re best 9v rechargeable battery

surfguy13surfguy13 Frets: 133
Hi guys

Can anyone suggest the best brand of 9v rechargeable battery for pedals?  Ta!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7484
    edited July 2014
    No idea, but probably cheaper and easier to get a harley benton power plant junior. About twenty or thirty quid, isolated outputs. Not much juice from each, but easily enough for your analog pedals, some digital and a tuner. :)
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    I've been advised against using 9v rechargeables because they don't provide the same output voltage. 

Eneloop used to make a thing called the Pedal Juice which could be used for this purpose, but they don't seem to make it any more. 

The Pedal Train Volto would probably be the ultimate, but it's expensive at £75
  • shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    edited July 2014
    I remember a physics lesson from back in my secondary school days when we were doing circuits and batteries etc and on of the other students commented about rechargeable batteries have a lower voltage than normal and the teacher said (please bare in mind that this is all from memory!) that on a rechargeable battery the internal resistance is lower and so when it's in a circuit it doesn't make a difference...

In my own experience, I've use rechargeable batteries in pedals when I'm only throwing one or two in a gig bag and have used them without any problems, though they really don't last very long in any digital type pedal.

not sure how accurate this is but it explains it..

• GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744
    edited July 2014
    I've been advised against using 9v rechargeables because they don't provide the same output voltage. 
    Just checked the voltage on an old 9 volt rechargeable battery with my multi-meter, it states 9.49 volts.
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9619

9V is a loose term when it comes to batteries. Some rechargeables read 9.6V when fully charged, other 8.4 or even lower - it depends on the chemistry and the number of cells in series.

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    GuyBoden said:
    Just checked the voltage on an old 9 volt rechargeable battery with my multi-meter, is states 9.49 volts.
    It's just what I've been told, I don't know it from first hand experience. 

I personally hate using pedals with batteries. It's PSU or nothing for me.
  • surfguy13surfguy13 Frets: 133
    That's really interesting/helpful......many thanks!

I wasn't too sure if rechargeable were a good idea but as I am an infrequent pedal user I thought it might make sense to go for rechargeables. I asked mainly because I have tried a couple of so-called 'high power' 9v rechargeable batteries and although they held charge for a reasonable amount of time the battery itself didn't last that long.

I do have a power brick for those pedals that I can hook it up with but I have two pedals I can't.....one is a Flynn OC44 which I use with virtually every amp and a Langtronics Fuzz Junkie.  The Langtronics doesn't have a DC out so a battery is the only option and the Flynn has a negative earth (or is it positive?), anyway it's something like that and means I can't use a standard power brick which is a pain.

Yeah, I checked my two (old) rechargeable batteries with a multimeter and they were both about 8.0 volts so I think they're past their best.

I reckon it may be a case of going with Duracell....I just wondered whether anybody had found a brand of rechargeable that seemed to stay the course and offer reasonable longevity.
  • shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    I've got some 7dayshop own brand ones which have been fine, though I can't remember if I have a 9v one I definitely have some of their AA ones which have been used in Wii controllers etc for years with no issue.  

I would definitely get the newer precharged ones over the older ones which from my understanding uses the same (or similar) technology to the Sanyo Eneloop batteries.

shuikit said:
    I've got some 7dayshop own brand ones which have been fine, though I can't remember if I have a 9v one I definitely have some of their AA ones which have been used in Wii controllers etc for years with no issue.  

I would definitely get the newer precharged ones over the older ones which from my understanding uses the same (or similar) technology to the Sanyo Eneloop batteries.

Brilliant, thanks a million for the link!  Given that they are 250mah versus 170'ish with Duracell they're a bargain and should offer a bit more life too.  Even with £1.99 shipping they were cheaper than duracell with free shipping!!  :)

shuikit said:

Pressed 'post comment' too soon......meant to add that I've just bought a pair!!!!!  :0)