PRS S2 hollow bodys

What's Hot

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24803
    Steadhock;290050" said:
    I'm a huge, huge fan of PRS but I have to say the S2 series in general leaves me very cold. Just bring back the CE
    I believe the 'problem' with the CE was that it was not appreciably cheaper to make than the Custom but retailed for a lot less, hence it was not profitable and was dropped from the line for no other reason.

I think the semi-hollow S2s look really good.

As someone else posted, the real competition for these are used 'Core' models...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    edited July 2014
    Used my CU22 10 top cost less than a CU S2, same with my US SC and the S2 SC. But these are a good product for PRS - they're not going to make any cash on used guitars and not many people can afford a new one. This now lets them offer something at most price points and people who are picky on colour/inlay options can at least order what they want within reason if a guitar is in production. On the s/h market if you have exacting specs you can be waiting a while. I've only ever seen one silver CE22 and I didn't have the cash when it was listed!
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2357
    Those inverse snobbery types are usually boring to chat gear with anyway.  Most of the ones I meet haven't even tried the stuff they're slating - but you'll have to quiz them to find out, since they'll be talking like they've tried hundreds...
    Yeah probably :))

On the other hand a lot of the snobbery types act like actual science doesn't matter, that their ears are golden or whatever or that you just "don't get it", so I'm not sure either side is immune from idiots/dicks (like most sides of anything in life).
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3321
    The bevelled top doesn't look as good, I can totally agree with that. But, from my own personal point of view I prefer it. I've owned 4Ce's, a Cu22,a CU 24,3 EG 4's and loads of SE models. I hate that straight edge where the curve front meets the back its ultimately the reason (aside from fickleness and neck preferences) that I sold on the USA models, but the newer SE CU24 with bevelled top is so much more comfy that I've kept it the longest.

I wouldn't buy an S2 new due to the price and eventual loss on resale but I'm almost certain I'll try and buy one used down the line. Why carve such a nice body and leave that bloody stupid straight edge is beyond me. Im loving my new tele but it suffers from the same and I can see me selling that soon too.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11875
    I think a second hand S2 would be great value down the line.
  • Dave_Mc;289500" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

Like it, but that maple and that colour is a bit minging... Plain top, or mega bling please :)

+1

EDIT: Actually I'm not certain that would necessarily work... I'm not just that fussed on the colour, I think.
    By plain top, I meant plain maple with a nice trans finish in the usual prs colours, like blues, greens, etc. No burst if it saves a wee bit of cost.

That said, I reckon it'd look nice in a solid sparkle finish too. It's a good looking guitar to my eyes, but the colour and maple kinda look bad on it - make it look like a cheaper guitar than it is (although it is excellent value).
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2357
    (a) By plain top, I meant plain maple with a nice trans finish in the usual prs colours, like blues, greens, etc. No burst if it saves a wee bit of cost.

(b) That said, I reckon it'd look nice in a solid sparkle finish too. It's a good looking guitar to my eyes, but the colour and maple kinda look bad on it - make it look like a cheaper guitar than it is (although it is excellent value).
    (a) Ah ok, I thought you meant the same colour with a plain top. Yeah trans solid colours would probably work nicely. And as you said, no burst might save a little.

(b) Not sure... I'd want to see it first. :)) Sparkle does look pretty good on the CEs etc. I've seen them on, and that one is more or less the same shape...
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3321
    Its actually vintage white if you check the specs
  • I also wouldn't buy a new s2 when you can get a new prs 408 for under £ 1600 at thomamn
  • MattGMattG Frets: 170
    I also wouldn't buy a new s2 when you can get a new prs 408 for under £ 1600 at thomamn

i love the look of a 408 but a hollow PRS with a trem is almost my perfect guitar!
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24803
    edited July 2014
    MattG;290254" said:
    i love the look of a 408 but a hollow PRS with a trem is almost my perfect guitar!
    And as it has standard size pick-ups - if you ever want to change them, is an easy swap.

I like the idea that PRS have developed their own style and size of pick-up but it renders changing them impossible.
    edited July 2014
    I have to say this looks tasty.   It's $1250 in the states, that is like £730 ! SE money !

Could actually import in under £1k.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLin;290259" said:
    I have to say this looks tasty.   It's $1250 in the states, that is like £730 ! SE money !

I'd prefer it in blue I think. I love the brighter prs guitars, I always associated them with nu metal and mad colours when I first started. I am sure I've seen a trans pink one before, but my mind might be playing tricks...
    RaymondLin;290259" said:

I'd prefer it in blue I think. I love the brighter prs guitars, I always associated them with nu metal and mad colours when I first started. I am sure I've seen a trans pink one before, but my mind might be playing tricks...
    They do a Bonnie Pink but only on the core models.
    edited July 2014
    @MattG   ,OMG, was looking for 408 and came across this.

408 semi hollow !

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @raymondlin now THAT'S what I'm talking about!
    @raymondlin now THAT'S what I'm talking about!
    Do you notice the Piezo jack?  I think that is a hollow body !
  • RaymondLin;290296" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

@raymondlin now THAT'S what I'm talking about!

Do you notice the Piezo jack?  I think that is a hollow body !
    Yeah, there is an epi with a similar set up - let paul plus or something? Ultra?

It's just piezo saddles I think, rather than a hollow body. Though there is no reason it wouldn't be!
  • MattGMattG Frets: 170

408 semi hollow !

Why is this not a production model?!
    the fact alone that this is out there makes me happy and gives me hope!
    MattG said:

408 semi hollow !

Why is this not a production model?!
    the fact alone that this is out there makes me happy and gives me hope!
    If you have enough dough, it's available through private stock but yes, you are right, this is out there so if it ever comes up secondhand then I would snap it up ASAP !