Valve advice

What's Hot
imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3747
edited July 2014 in Amps
Hi,

I'm going to buy the following a) as a back up and b) to see how it affects an 'issue' (which might not be an issue!) with my Engl Gigmaster 30:

V1 - ECC83/12AX7
V2 - EL84/6BQ5
V3 - EL84/6BQ5
V4 - EL84/6BQ5
V5 - EL84/6BQ5 

Any advice on brands or what to consider?  Are any 'warmer' than others?  E.g. gold ones?  I'm clueless and any advice is welcome.
Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9611
    What is the issue? And there's only one preamp valve in that amp?
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3747
    edited July 2014
    The preamp is a double triode.

The issue is the amp is making a sound in standby. I thought it can't do any harm to try switching the valves, as it's no bad thing having a back up set.

My band, Red For Dissent
    Any thoughts on good replacement valves?

My band, Red For Dissent
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72323
    It won't be anything to do with the ECC83, that's in the preamp and is nothing to do with the standby circuit.

JJs are the best currently available EL84s for reliability, and do sound darker than most other brands.

I would get a set of these - it's always worth having a spare set of power valves, plus the correct fuses - and try them. If it doesn't fix the "problem", just leave whichever ones you like the sound of best in the amp and keep the others as spares. And stop worrying about it :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Cool.  Thanks for that.  A couple of questions though: what 'fuses' are these and where are they found?  And can I bias the amp myself or does it need to go to a technician?

My band, Red For Dissent
    There are individual power valve fuses (x4) - if they're not in holders on the back panel they must be inside.

The amp also does ideally need biasing - unlike many EL84 amps it's not cathode biased - and again if there is no adjuster on the outside (since there doesn't seem to be a sensing resistor or test point) you will need to do that from the inside.

Given the way a lot of modern amps seem to be designed deliberately to be non-user-serviceable, it wouldn't surprise me!

But, since it's probably running fairly conservatively by EL84 amp standards given the range of bias voltage listed on the schematic, it's unlikely to be critical and is safe enough just to put new valves in.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Any recommended retailers?

My band, Red For Dissent
    Karltone.