Thinking of going Kemper/FRFR...

What's Hot
chrishill901chrishill901 Frets: 516
edited July 2014 in Amps
I know there are a few threads on this already from the past, and I have read them, but most people seem to speak of using their Kemper/Axe-FX with a Matrix amp and guitar cab.

Does anyone have experience using the Kemper with an FRFR Active PA type speaker. I saw that @Jim54 (and @skink) uses his Kemper with the Alto TS112A speaker which is what I am looking to get. I wonder if (if he see's this) if he'd be able to comment on his experience of that set up.

Anyone else gig a Kemper into an FRFR PA speaker?

Im more interested in how low-mid priced active PAs perform for gigging with modellers, as i've done extensive research on the Kemper itself and know it sounds great. Also, the only way I could afford the Kemper is to buy the PA now, and gig that with my POD X3 until my amp and pedals sold - I can't just sell the lot and buy it all in one go as I've got too many gigs...

Fairly vague post so please ask necessary questions for clarity if you need it. Im fine with the 'feel' of modellers that some people cant get to grips with, I record with Amplitube and love the tones I can get from that. The Kemper seems to solve the issue I have always had of not getting a tone im satisfied with at gigs because I can't crank the amp.

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jester22jester22 Frets: 127
    great unit but i thought that it sounded pretty thin live
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    A guy the other night in a band used Kemper through the PA, but I only really heard clean tones. They sounded okay.
  • chrishill901chrishill901 Frets: 516
    One of my concerns would be that I'm one of two guitarists; the other uses a 2x12 cab - will it sound weird or get drowned out?

• ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261

use 4x12 cabs so the other guitarist  gets concerns that he'll get drowned out..

you know it makes sense..

play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Haha in all seriousness though, I meant more in terms of mixing FRFR and guitar amp/cab on stage. Has anyone used one while the other guitarist uses the other? Does it sound OK?

I can't talk for the KPA, but I have heard of Axe-FX guys blending FRFR and real cabs.

in the Axe you have to split the signal path and route to it's two different outputs so that the signal going to the real cabs does not pass through the cab block, and the signal going to the FRFR monitors does traverse the cab block..

I've no idea if / how this can be done in the KPA

Sorry, I haven't been clear - I was talking of one guitarist using kemper frfr which gives the sound of a mic'd up amp against another using a real amp and cab not mic'd up. I've heard many say that the kemper doesn't give the 'amp in the room' sound but rather 'amp next door mic'd up' - I was wondering up that blended well with a real amp in the room...?

Thanks for your responses :)

what cab IR's give you is not so much "amp in the room", but more like "amp in the studio's control room"
    I know... That's why I said that...

Has anyone else experience with a similar setup?

• Jim54Jim54 Frets: 244
    Hi Chris, my opinion may not be worth much much as I've not gigged the Kemper (and not gigging at the moment), so can only talk about the differences when played at home, albeit at near enough gig volumes a lot of times:).

If I've played through my tube amps or the Kemper via a Matrix/cab for a while it's a little strange at first getting used to the sound from a pair of Alto's (because as you say, it's really an amp mic'd up tone, not in the room).  But after a short while, you don't notice that and I've found I've been more astounded with the tones I can get out of the Kemper when going FRFR.  

When cranked up with the Alto's you just get the same tone but at a louder volume.  You will have to tweak the tone controls, e,g, reduce bass, push the mids etc. but you'd do that with a tube amp anyway.

Most of the time though I use both the Alto's and the Matrix into a Matamp 2x12, giving me the best of both worlds, the FRFR givings a more airy high and the cab giving the in the room feel, can mix them to taste.

With the right EQing you wouldn't have a problem up against a tube amp.

I haven't got a bad word to say about the Alto TS112A's.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
    I haven't done it in a 2 guitar band but I have played a modeller through various FRFR options next to a Bass player coming through an unmiked bass amp.
    The best option I found was using a powered FRFR pa speaker (a Wharfedale Titan in my case) on the floor in front of me, angled up towards me with a feed going into the main PA for FOH sound.
    I've never got it to work right with an FRFR unit behind me, used like a traditional amp without feeding into the PA. Might just be me though....
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2375
    Hi Chris,

I use a Kemper and Yamaha DXR in the band I've just joined, I use mine like an amp, behind me with an FCB1010 (uno4kemper installed) in front to change presets / add effects as required. 

I can't give you the exact answer you were looking for, as the other guitarist uses a solid state combo, but mine doesn't sound out of place at all, just a lot better and a tonne louder if I'm not careful :D

Dave. 
    @PVO_Dave - interesting to hear, thats exactly how i'm planning to use it, behind me with an FCB1010. I know there isnt an exact answer, but it is good to hear peoples experiences with this. Do you use a single DXR?

@Beexter my local shop has a Wharfedale Titan 312A for sale on offer - is this what you use? TITAN 312A

@Jim54 - Thanks for getting back to me on this. Its good to hear the Altos are still pleasing. Im no stranger to modellers - I used to use an Eleven Rack into a keyboard amp for home practice, and a Tonelab before that, ive just never gigged it, and at home my practice was never loud. Im comfortable with the 'feel' of modelled stuff through an FRFR solution though :) 

Hi Chris, yes, just a single DXR 10, I use it at -8db! I then control the output volume with the Kempers main out. The DXR has a serious amount of power.
    Crikey!!! I had ruled out 10" actives but maybe I shouldn't!!

Can't speak for the others, but the DXR has 1100w! 
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 598

@Beexter my local shop has a Wharfedale Titan 312A for sale on offer - is this what you use? TITAN 312A

That looks like the puppy - I go straight into the Wharfedale and then run a line out to the PA. As said though, I find it much more effective to use it in front of me as a personal monitor. I use the main PA to get the sound out front.
  • David5150David5150 Frets: 118

I gig loads with my Kemper - using a Electrovoice ZLX 12 as either a monitor or for smaller gigs the main speaker.

Our band has the one guitarist but I've jammed with a mate down the studios to compare his jcm800 half stack vs my kemper with a JCM 800 profile theough the EV. The Kemper/EV drowned out the half stack with room to spare and sounded full and rich.

I find that anything computer based needs lots of EQ tweaking to get sounding good - and the key with the kemper is to tweak at gig volumes.

As I've said many times on this forum the Kemper has totally killed my GAS for amps.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    I'd echo what @David5150 said.  I've just bought 2 of the EV ZLX 12 as monitors for my church.  They have been very good so far.  At 1000W they are not lacking in power.

I might experiment going direct to the PA this weekend now we have some decent monitors, although that will be with the Harley Benton Tech 21 knockoff or the cab emulation on my Big Sky.  I want to get a Kemper when funds allow.

If you are looking at a 10" then Thomann are listing a new 1000W version of the Mackie SRM for August delivery which may be another option.

• capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    I played through one last night and was quite impressed interested to see how this thread develops