Flynn Tweed Deluxe Question

camfcamf Frets: 1191
edited July 2014 in Amps
Just picked up a Flynn Tweed Deluxe that's based on the 1957 circuit and as well as the current 1x12 speaker, there's a 'speaker out' socket too. Does anyone know if that could be used with an extension can with the internal speaker still plugged in or is it likley to be an either or solution? I was going to phone Flynns next week to ask but wondered if any of you might have an opinion. It's a very nice amp indeed and my first Tweed Deluxe.  

Thanks.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    If it's built like the originals the OT will only have one 8 ohm tap wired to both outputs in parallel. The internal speaker will be 8 ohm but if you want to use both together you should connect two 4 ohm speakers.
  • camfcamf Frets: 1191
    Hmmm... that's what I thought most likely. Or I guess I could use a 2x12 with a pair of 16 ohms in parallel, if I needed more volume. Thanks @Gagaryn

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72514
    edited July 2014
    Leo intended his amps to be used with extension speakers with no regard to matching, hence why they were fitted with two speaker jacks and no impedance selector. They are all safe running into half the matching impedance.

Actually most valve amps are, contrary to the popular myth that it's safe to mismatch high but not low - that's true for solid-state, not valve.

Even if you did need to keep it matched, the jacks are in parallel not series, so you would need two *16* ohm speakers, not 4-ohm.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Cool. So does that mean two 8 ohm speakers plugged in at once wouldn't be disastrous? :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72514
    It would be fine - assuming Flynn have used the correct spec OT.

You'll get slightly increased valve wear, actually slightly *less* power, but probably still more volume (about 1dB less due to the mismatch power loss, but 1-2dB more due to doubling the number of speakers), and more spread.

Even the increased valve wear will only happen if it's fully cranked - impedance matching really isn't critical at all otherwise.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Yo mama! All is good. Thread now closed due to definitive @ICBMness. :)