NPD - Catalinbread Formula 5F6 - Superb low-gain pedal

What's Hot
KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
edited November 2014 in FX
I've been on the look out for a low gain pedal that stacked well with my OCD and gave me that chimey, clean with hair/edge ala early Bryan Adams, Tom Petty, Skynard, country rhythm sound. Luke at Guitar Guitar, Epsom got exactly what I wanted and recommended the 5F6 - it was perfect and I'm glad I had my board and guitar with me too to try it with.

I've had a Pork Loin (nice), Liquid Sunshine (believe the hype/reviews), Xotic RC & AC, Zendrive but the sound I wanted just wasn't quite there, or I couldn't dial it in. The 5F6 absolutely kills it and its name comes from the Bassman circuit and that's what the sound eludes too. It has generous gain but I found what I wanted at 10 o'clock and the tone controls are powerful too including a middle as well as treble and bass knobs. It's the middle that makes the difference and the option of dialling it out gave me exactly what I wanted. Dialling it in gave me a more refined, smoother TS808-type sound, which was also useful to have within the pedal and who knows, my own Keeley 808 may go off the board, but it'll be kept.
EDIT: I just wanted to add that any solid state amp users who think their clean sound is a bit lifeless and lacks bounce and warmth, try this. I like my Roland Cube 60 but this on the Black Panel channel got me a great Nile Rodgers sound!

Any users/owners here of the 5F6?

I also tried an Xotic SP Comp side by side with my beloved Keeley Comp (2 knob). I have to say the Xotic was superb. I found it a tad noisier than the Keeley but the options on it were great, as was the tone. Another few tries to be sure but I can see the Keeley going!

Oh, and the Fender Deluxe Reverb RI I played through was equally nice. I just wish it was a 30-40 watter and had more clean room. Lovely amp in both sound and styling. Before anyone says "Why not move onto a Vibrolux or Pro Reverb", it's the size and weight I love about the Deluxe as I know the others can deliver too ;)

Anyway, people looking for an alternative to the low gain pedals mentioned or others, give the Formula 5F6 a try.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I use one. Fantastic pedal indeed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    I've always liked catalinbread's stuff, haven't played this pedal myself, but I'm sure it's at the same bar as the others!

Happy new pedal day!

(pics? ;D)
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited July 2014
    Manual - http://www.catalinbread.com/5F6manual.pdf
    Nice one @not_the_dj.

How do you use yours and do you stack it with anything? I definitely think keeping the gain below 1 o'clock for the chimey thing, unless you want that Neil Young-type sound, then crank it.

Cheers @joeyowen!

I use mine to improve the clean channel on my amp (Blackstar HT50). That amp only has a single tone control on the clean channel, so the three band eq on the 5F6 is great. I keep the gain pretty low but I don't do totally clean clean so it suits me great to liven it up a bit.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4701

Looking at this as a contender to replace my Sweet Honey, I like the core sound of the SHOD but want more flexible EQ. Also thinking of the rocket Blue.
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1620
    I had one. Really liked it but it wasn't quite what i was after. Got the Catalinbread Formula 5 instead, and that was bang-on through my Fender amps, Neil Young tweedery in a box

• BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5853
    Nice Pedal, KK. Plenty of tonal options there. Good demo here from PGS for those tempted.

I think I prefer the "Stock" mode though, but both sound good.

Only a Fool Would Say That.
    edited July 2014
    JohnPerry said:
    I had one. Really liked it but it wasn't quite what i was after. Got the Catalinbread Formula 5 instead, and that was bang-on through my Fender amps, Neil Young tweedery in a box

Yes, so people don't get confused there's the Formula 5F6 and the Formula 5.

The PGS demo is a good one but there's tons more spank and chime on tap with the gain in the lower registers. The EQ is very powerful.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    ^ I'm confuzzled, I thought it was one pedal and two paint jobs.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    ^ I'm confuzzled, I thought it was one pedal and two paint jobs.
    The 5F6 has more knobs
    edited July 2014

That's right ^^ and I've also just discovered that the 5F6 has both an internal Presence trim pot as well as a Mode switch. The latter can radically transform the pedal and the following is off the Catalinbread site and I'll have to try that:-

Mode Switch Ahh! It’s time to talk about the Secret Lead mode! There’s a switch inside that switches between Stock Bassman (S. Bass) and Secret Lead (S. Lead) mode! We mentioned this in the intro and here it is. It will transform the Formula 5F6 from vintage low-gain goodness into a  re-breathing monster from California! The gain gets pushed way up and the tone stack is recon gured to a new voice that has a bright edge with plenty of fullness. Now, the astute among you will say, “So it turns it into a Marshall?” Good thinking, but that’s not what we did here. The goal was to supercharge it while still making it sound “American”. It’s a new unique voicing and a hell of a good time! Warning: It might get loud ;-)
  • FezFez Frets: 522
    I guess that's on the wish list then. I wonder how that would go with the Jet City 50w ead.
    Don't touch that dial.
    I think you'd like it @Fez and just imagine the sound of your Champ amp on the edge and its cleans.