Didn't think I wanted another overdrive. Got lent a Distortron,

What's Hot
noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 798
Bugger.

My GAS fires seem to have been banked recently - I've just made a mental note to see if I still fancy one around christmas time.

I also have yet to try the Catalinbread Formula 5f6, admittedly... 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17608
    tFB Trader
    The Distortron is ace. 
    The subs control makes it better than a BoR IMO.
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Such a great pedal. If you're anything like me, you'll cycle through about 50 others and end up getting another one.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    @noisepolluter - the 5F6 is fab and I'm still at the honeymoon stage with mine and it's a sweet-sounding pedal. Apparently, it works well on bass too.

Re:the Distortron, did you buy one or are you on the look out for one? If the latter, a friend/forum member had one he was thinking of selling?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72325

Didn't think I wanted another overdrive. Got lent a Distortron

Bugger.
    Isn't that because it's a distortion not an overdrive?

It was a moment of revelation for me when I discovered that I much prefered "distortion" to "overdrive" even though I was looking for an "overdrive" sound.

I must try one of these. I keep hearing such great things about it...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    It's been high up my must-try list for a while too. I've almost bought one on here a couple of times, but I really should just build one.
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    Recently got one, and I'm converted.  Love the range of drive, the tone shaping options are all very useful and musical, and it stacks beautifully with other dirt.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I had one and sold it ( on here IIRC). Grass is always greener,etc. Great amp in a box. It is very much a distortion rather than an overdrive ( and works fine last in the chain as a pre amp). I tried one in Guitarguitar and the bloke hadn't tried one before and went around trying it into every amp in the shop that was plugged in - I may be exagerating here but about 5 different set ups ranging from a £100 SS combo to a valve half stack and the tone was reasonably consistent throughout.  If you like transparent overdrives this is not for you!

I think a lunchbox style amp with a Distortron as the pre amp would be a cool thing. Zvex get cracking on this please...
    :ar!
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • photekphotek Frets: 1463
    JDE said:
    Such a great pedal. If you're anything like me, you'll cycle through about 50 others and end up getting another one.
    Same here. I am on my 3rd or 4th now haha. Fooking brilliant pedal.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    photek said:
    Same here. I am on my 3rd or 4th now haha. Fooking brilliant pedal.

Only 3rd or 4th? Surely 13th or 14th is closer to the real figure...........

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2357
    Well I totally misread the title and was wondering why you didn't specify which pedal you actually liked... >:D<
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader

I really like mine (thanks photek) but do find it quite hissy on the full-filth setting. Love the bite you can get from higher notes and the dark heavy lower notes, very addictive. Handles rolling back the vol vey nicely too.

• ICBM said:

Didn't think I wanted another overdrive. Got lent a Distortron

Bugger.
    Isn't that because it's a distortion not an overdrive?

It was a moment of revelation for me when I discovered that I much prefered "distortion" to "overdrive" even though I was looking for an "overdrive" sound.

I must try one of these. I keep hearing such great things about it
    I too am increasingly leaning towards less smooth sounds. The TS-based pedals hardly get a look-in these days.
    Corvus said:

I really like mine (thanks photek) but do find it quite hissy on the full-filth setting. Love the bite you can get from higher notes and the dark heavy lower notes, very addictive. Handles rolling back the vol vey nicely too.

Have you tried a noisegate after the Distortron? Not a heavy gate setting, just a low setting to cut the hiss.........

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

tFB Trader
    noisepolluter;301679" said:

I too am increasingly leaning towards less smooth sounds. The TS-based pedals hardly get a look-in these days.
    Have you tried a ts a like into the distortron?
    Proper good.
    tFB Trader
    I haven't got a gate Mike. I can live with it on the low gain side, where I like it best anyway. Wouldn't mind trying one out but it's not too much of a thing at the mo'.
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    I got a hiss from the BOR, the SHO and the Distortron at high settings - it's the nature of the circuit I think, amplifying your pickup noise. Most of my guitars are quite noisy anyway though.
    Corvus said:
    I haven't got a gate Mike. I can live with it on the low gain side, where I like it best anyway. Wouldn't mind trying one out but it's not too much of a thing at the mo'.

Gimme a shout I can lend you one to try.

tFB Trader
    Cheers Mike, will drop you a line a bit later :)
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:

I must try one of these. I keep hearing such great things about it...
    Unfortunately it's my favorite Marshall flavoured distortion so you'll almost certainly hate it :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72325
    monquixote said:

Unfortunately it's my favorite Marshall flavoured distortion so you'll almost certainly hate it :)
    Not at all! As long as it sounds like a *Marshall*, and not like a Marshall-style pedal into a Fender amp :).

Or like a modern Marshall, for that matter... ;)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein