Bonamassa/Page tones

What's Hot

Comments

• hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    The Bonamassa thing I think can be achieved through a D-style pedal, given an extra push. I've had limited opportunities to try this given that I don't yet own that sort of pedal, but in a shop I've used a DMBL pedal, boosted with my Koko Boost and it was pretty nice.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • matt1973matt1973 Frets: 386
    Bonamassa doesn't really use clean amps, they're all set pretty gainy. Usually it's these different levels of dirt that get pushed harder with the pedals shown in his many demos. So the pedals aren't actually imparting a great deal on the overall tone.

The best pointer I can give is the DSL hire rig he uses, which I believe is set clean with clipping provided by a Tubescreamer which, IIRC, is always on.

Regarding Page, maybe try a Herco pic? I am led to believe this accounts for much of how his articulation is picked up by the gear he uses.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339

Filth 
    ...glad to hear he hits Bum notes too!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Filth 
    He somehow makes it sound good! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bigdawgbigdawg Frets: 51
    for pages tone you need to run a les paul through a cranked 60s (or the Retro model) orange or get this:

• RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6490

57Deluxe said:

Filth 
    He somehow makes it sound good! 
    Not so sure about that myself, but bless little Edge there, he's grinning like a kid in a sweet shop with a ten pound note!

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    57Deluxe;301372" said:
    therose789 sawid:

Filth 

Pagey's made a career out of bum notes. All part of the fun!

I liked his 02 gig tone on that song off Presence, the one he played on a black lester.

What's it called? Y'know that really memorable track...
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2357
    They don't list the snazzy suits and sunglasses :(
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72325
    Skarloey said:
    I liked his 02 gig tone on that song off Presence, the one he played on a black lester. 
    His black Custom totally blows away the Standard for tone when he plays it. It was the same on the original Albert Hall recording. I've never understood why Standards are worth more than Customs… Customs almost always sound better, to me.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3965
    ICBM said:
    Skarloey said:
    His black Custom totally blows away the Standard for tone when he plays it. It was the same on the original Albert Hall recording. I've never understood why Standards are worth more than Customs… Customs almost always sound better, to me.
    Agreed, I much prefer a Custom and I love the sound of Custom on the RAH gigs, as well as For Your Life at the O2.
    edited July 2014
    That ain't Bonnamassa'a rig. It's Agent Smith out of the Matrix. 

I bet he plays fast. 

edit: going back to Pagey's tone with the Custom, I wonder if his reissue (the original RAH 1970 guitar was nicked) is all mahogany? I'm just wondering if that could be why it's a bit less trebly than his Standard tone? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33796
    edited July 2014
    p90fool said:
    I can't say I see any similarity between those two.

Smooth, fuzzy, indistinct, and somehow distant versus spiky, clumsy, in-yer-face raggedness.

I don't think anyone makes a pedal for either of those, are you sure it's a gear issue at all and not just about musicians?
    LOL.
    I love it when folk so easily dismiss some of the best players to put finger to fret.
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6490
    Aside from the actual rig, you want to be approaching your playing quite differently for the two styles.

In some ways, you might say Page really laid into his guitar ...although that's a bit misleading, as something like Since I've Been Loving You will attest...but all the same, for Bananaramassa you want to be much more in control of the strings, the vibrato, the attack.. Clearer, cleaner, more controlled.

Like it's THAT easy...lol.

Joe's whole thing started with Eric Johnson.
    He cops a lot of EJ's techniques, he grew up playing that stuff- plus a lot of other players of course, but his core approach is very much like EJ's.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72325
    Skarloey said:

edit: going back to Pagey's tone with the Custom, I wonder if his reissue (the original RAH 1970 guitar was nicked) is all mahogany? I'm just wondering if that could be why it's a bit less trebly than his Standard tone? 
    I would think so, since that model is. The guitarist in my band has the same model without the Bigsby.

It's not just that it's less trebly - it might be, although only slightly - the big difference is that it's fuller-sounding and more powerful. Just a much more authoritative tone - and that's even with the Bigsby on, which arguably reduces the sustain and punch a bit.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BasherBasher Frets: 1206
    Skarloey said:

What's it called? Y'know that really memorable track...
    For Your Life...

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31589
    octatonic;302321" said:
    p90fool said:

I can't say I see any similarity between those two.

Smooth, fuzzy, indistinct, and somehow distant versus spiky, clumsy, in-yer-face raggedness.

I don't think anyone makes a pedal for either of those, are you sure it's a gear issue at all and not just about musicians?

LOL.I love it when folk so easily dismiss some of the best players to put finger to fret.
    Not at all, I like both of them as players.
    @basher

Yes, For Your Life. The name came to me just after I've posted! 

I haven't seen or heard the whole 02 gig, but of what I've seen, that's one performance that I thought was spot on, especially Pagey. He's certainly got the old swagger on there. 
    p90fool said:
    octatonic;302321" said:

LOL.I love it when folk so easily dismiss some of the best players to put finger to fret.
    Not at all, I like both of them as players.
    I'm just busting balls- I wasn't being serious. ;)