The TV series thread

What's Hot
Currently halfway through the penultimate season of The Shield. At this point it's basically Macbeth except in LA and everyone is high on drugs and guns. It's good.

Whatchy'all watchin?
The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28172
    Happy Endings, which is nicely surreal.

Don't Trust The B----- in Apartment 23, which is one of the funniest things ever to be on TV.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17605
    tFB Trader
    Season 2 of Luther.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I don't have sky/virgin and all that....so I'm currently loving The Walking Dead Season 3. Just don't tell me what happens you cable/dish bods.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26987
    I don't have sky/virgin and all that....so I'm currently loving The Walking Dead Season 3. Just don't tell me what happens you cable/dish bods.
    It keeps being awesome. That's all you need to know :)
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

I started watching "The devil's ride" when I was off work sick. It seems to have stopped half-way through a season.

I'm currently watching the re-runs of "American Chopper", mostly because I love any engineering-type programmes (although Snr does come across as a bully and an ass).

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited August 2013
    It's far from highbrow but my family and I are all big fans of "Duck Dynasty", which is a reality show (don't hit me, it's not like Big Brother at all) that follows a family in Louisiana who own a business making duck calls, for hunting. 

It is genuinely hilarious - not even in the usual "Oh, they're hicks, let's laugh at them because they're dumb" way, because they're clearly not dumb - their business has made them multi-millionaires. They are genuinely funny as well, and while it's obviously set up in places, they're a family so there's a chemistry between them all, which is endearing and makes it very watchable.

Christ, this sounds patronising towards them. It's a very funny show, watch it.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • Duck Dynasty is indeed hilarious.

Started Breaking Bad recently. Halfway through season 2 now, still going strong.

Under the Dome is pretty good, as is Falling Skies.

Waiting for the new seasons of Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, Vikings and Hannibal.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    Just finished watching The Returned.  French series about the dead coming back.  

Very very good indeed, though the ending was clearly written for there to be a sequel

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485
    Just finished watching The Returned.  French series about the dead coming back.  

Very very good indeed, though the ending was clearly written for there to be a sequel

+1 all round. I half suspect the rewrote the ending when they worked out how popular it was and could go for a 2nd series.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    Netflix people- watch 'Orange is the New Black'.
    Really excellent.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5467
    edited August 2013
    I started watching The Returned last night after reading this thread. 

2 episodes in and it's brilliant! The backstory element reminds me of Lost but it doesn't feel like it will be as confusing or as annoying as that one turned out. 

And there's something cool and sinister about it being in French with a Mogwai soundtrack! 

A definite recommend from me too. 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26579
    edited August 2013
    octatonic said:
    Netflix people- watch 'Orange is the New Black'.
    Really excellent.
    Yes. Very, very good.

Other stuff on the go at the moment...

Burn Notice series 7 - more of the same, really, but worth watching
    Suits series 3 - very good, still got the great dialogue although I'm not convinced about the direction for a few of the characters
    Necessary Roughness series 3 - it's got into the awkward "not sure what to do with this now" stage, but entertaining enough to stick with it
    Rizzoli and Isles series 4 - meh, but the wife likes it
    Covert Affairs series 4 - not sure why I'm still watching this, but it fills a gap when I'm bored
    The Newsroom series 2 - really, really good but only if you like long story arcs...very West Wing-style
    Dexter series 8 - watching just to see how it all ends
    True Blood series 6 - just watching to see where it goes, really

Stuff that finished recently...

Cult - don't bother, definitely not worth it. Bad acting, rotten storyline, set up for a cliffhanger into a series 2 that got cancelled
    Defiance - pretty good and only slightly procedural, the cliffhanger at the end suggests series 2 could be worth watching for a few episodes

Stuff coming up...

Homeland series 3 (29th Sept in the US) - duh
    The Good Wife series 5 (24th Sept in the US) - witty dialogue, always keeps the brain engaged
    Agents of SHIELD (24th Sept in the US) - this looks absolutely brilliant, and with Joss Whedon in charge it should be cracking (although I'm not sure if I should be rooting for it, on the basis that he's recently vaguely hinted at a possible return for Firefly via crowdfunding)
    Castle series 5 (24th Sept in the US) - really just a good bit of harmless fun
    Person of Interest series 3 (24th Sept in the US) - consistently good across the first two series, so really looking forward to this

There are a few others I'm keeping an eye on, but that's about it for the highlights at the mo.
    <space for hire>
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Just finished the last 'Luther' series. The best drama I've seen for ages.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5467
    edited August 2013
    PSA: Breaking Bad is back this month! August 12th, Netflix.

I did enjoy "The Following", a bit drawn out, but enjoyable......

The ending did leave it open for a second season.......

Some serious plot twists......

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• JadenJaden Frets: 251
    House MD and breaking bad, making my way through the whole lot.
    Jaden Rose Guitars :: Jaden Rose Guitars on Facebook :: My Facebook :: YouTube

The young do not know enough to be prudent, therefore they attempt the impossible - and achieve it, generation after generation.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26987
    mike_l said:

I did enjoy "The Following", a bit drawn out, but enjoyable......

The ending did leave it open for a second season.......

Some serious plot twists......

Still havent' got to the end of that. We were in the middle of weddings and moving when it ended. Will have to catch up

Sticky, you should.......

I'll bet a whole £10 that you can't predict half the plot twists.......

I also really enjoyed House MD, I started watching that right after I'd had an operation, and couldn't do much, other than watch tele and sleep.........I have seen every episode. I miss it, but I'm also pleased that the quality stayed and it was killed off before it went downhill (IMO)

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4134
    edited August 2013
    I'm waiting for Suits season 3 to come on, and need to catch up on The Walking Dead, and Game of Thrones. I've also just started Breaking Bad.  

I don't often watch tv, but when I do, I choose boxsets. :D
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6152
    We don't have a TV so we do box sets. Did House, then The Sopranos and now The West Wing (seems really dated now)

Breaking Bad lined up next.