Scale Patterns For Legato (Video)

What's Hot
AdjiAdji Frets: 142
in Technique tFB Trader
In fairness this will also working for alternate picking, but I'm mainly a legato guy. Hopefully some of you find it useful.

Comments

• cgumtreecgumtree Frets: 35
    Thanks for sharing @adji. ;

One question for you - on the way back down the scales, do you play the first note with your right hand (pick), or are you sounding the note on each string with just the little finger of your left hand hammering on to the fret before pulling off to sound the other notes on the same string? I can see your right hand follow your left hand, but couldn't quite tell if you were making contact with the strings using the pick.

Cheers.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AdjiAdji Frets: 142
    tFB Trader
    Most of the time I'm just hammering, not picking. the idea is to not pick at all ,ever, but its going to take years of practise until I'm at that point, holdsworth style.

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    Guthrie did a good clinic video with legato only - it was amazing...
  • AdjiAdji Frets: 142
    tFB Trader
    Guthrie did a good clinic video with legato only - it was amazing...
    Haha he is a monster no doubt about it.

Holdsworth is always my 'go to' legato master however, not sure anyone will ever compare.

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4183

Holdsworth somehow manages to be fluid and harmonically spiky at times, damned great trick if you can pull it off, I still think his Bruford era re-defined electric guitar, well certainly for me and a 

Mr E VanHalen

• BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    Iv been working on legato for quite a while now and what seems to be the weakness with me and other players is the first finger..the others can be hammered from nowhere...but the first always seems to be the weak one ....a way to try it is playing up a scale but dont use the right hand...the others work fine up and down with the first finger working going down the scale...but the problem is going up the scale we always rely on the right hand

I figured if I could overcome this obstacle I could do away with the pick altogether for legato :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    worth trying a scrunchie as per those pesky 2 handed tippet tappity types to start with.
    A lot of legato is a bit like the Bruce Lee one inch punch technique, just have to persevere i'm afraid .

• BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    sweepy;310021" said:
    worth trying a scrunchie as per those pesky 2 handed tippet tappity types to start with.A lot of legato is a bit like the Bruce Lee one inch punch technique, just have to persevere i'm afraid .
    I use a sock...lol

I hope it's a left handed sock for extra vibe ;)