strange jam night

What's Hot
midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2343

last night went along to an open mic / jam night and there were only three of us musos, and a handful of pub punters.  me on guitar, the other guy was a drummer and played a bit of guitar and a bass player. I ve probly jammed with these guys 2 or 3 times before playing a couple of songs.

I did some stuff on my own then invited the the other 2 to join me and we just bashed out any songs we could think of. I did vocals (im no singer by any means), but as no one else arrived we just carried on. the diminutive audience and the bar staff were quite enthusiastic.

about 10;30 the landlord ambles over and im getting ready for him to tell us to fuck off and lets call it a night but he only asks if he can book us for a gig. we all look at each other and decide to go for it, in about 2 1/2 weeks time so gotta get our shit together quick.

8reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

That's kinda messed up, and awesomes at the same time......

Messed up in there's only 3 muso's turned up to a jamnight, awesomes as you got a gig from it.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    Excellent!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • "gotta get our shit together quick." Why? The bar has already been set pretty low!

I'm kidding, I think this is a classic case of musos thinking it's a disaster and punters really enjoying it because everyone loves a live band.

Good work on getting the gig!

"As with all things, some days you're the dinosaur, some days you're the monkey." Sporky
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Great story. :)
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485
    nice one.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Win!
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2343

"gotta get our shit together quick." Why? The bar has already been set pretty low!

I'm kidding, I think this is a classic case of musos thinking it's a disaster and punters really enjoying it because everyone loves a live band.

I agree, we, wernt tight, im not a good singer, I didn't know half the words, but they liked it, I do feel though we  should have a couple of rehearsals together to get better. there were a few songs we winged that actually wernt too bad but if my regular band played like this there would be bad words in the air.

it was all good fun and that's what counts, I believe

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    Just goes to show that it's what you play, not how you play it that most punters are interested in.

BEWARE though, this is exactly how I ended up being in a country band!

:(
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Like a Boss !!!!!   Get in ! :)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    ESBlonde said:
    Just goes to show that it's what you play, not how you play it that most punters are interested in.

BEWARE though, this is exactly how I ended up being in a country band!

:(

Turn up with a BC Rich, and a Randall stack and you won't be in a country band much longer.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260

"gotta get our shit together quick." Why? The bar has already been set pretty low!

I agree, we, wernt tight, im not a good singer, I didn't know half the words, but they liked it, I do feel though we  should have a couple of rehearsals together to get better. there were a few songs we winged that actually wernt too bad but if my regular band played like this there would be bad words in the air.

it was all good fun and that's what counts, I believe

Sometimes a bunch of musicians having fun together, being passionate about what they do, and looking like they mean it is all you need...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17607
    tFB Trader
    Brilliant.

Great way to start a band!
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2343
    Brilliant.

Great way to start a band!
    maybe a little side project, im in a band at the moment and gigging about twice a month but have plenty of time.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3071
    Great stuff. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• played the gig is what one of my best gigs for ages. pub was really full, id managed to persuade loads to come myself. cant say we played brilliantly but the crowd were very receptive and loved it. Very happy landlord, booked us again.  The two others I played with are very keen to start regular rehearsing but im not too sure as I have a few gigs coming up with my regular band and time is very short at the moment as my business has been neglected and needs my attention urgently.  Nice to have the choice but I have other priorities right now.

• nice, go for it with what you know you can deliver without too much effort
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself