Suggestions For Small Router For Opening Pickup Cavities?

What's Hot
Thinking of fitting Mini Humbuckers in some more of my Teles, any suggestions for a small neat router thats easily controlled and you can see where you're going when cutting out?
Thanks
Rob

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27495
    edited July 2014
    The *usual* method would be to use a template, and then a router cutter with a bearing guided bit on it against the template, to make sure that you cut it accurately and neatly.

Like this

and this

Then any old router will probably do the job - just take it down in depth gradually rather than trying to cut the whole depth of the slot in one go.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    Even with a small router, template or straight edge guiding is pretty essential.  Freehand is the road to 'two pints please' and a scrapped top - even a Dremel kicks like a mule with a router bit going at 20000rpm!

• Ages since I did some routing... so I may not have this quite right... but

When you're routing an edge... You also need to consider the direction of rotation of the cutter... and the direction in which you're guiding the machine (and which edge of the cutter is working on the side of your routed channel).  In one direction, the cutter rotation will pull you along... in the other direction (I think) you can experience a bit of bounce in the machine (so the cutter pushes away from the edge you're cutting).  Knowing how the rotation of the cutter will affect your direction of travel - before you engage the cutter with the wood - will help you to prepare for whether the cutter is going to pull or kick.

Take care... router bits can do a lot of damage to the unexperienced user.

Probably good to practice on several bits of scrap wood... to get a feel for how the router reacts etc.

There used to be a good book that was called 'Techniques of Routing'... I think that had some good content on use of routers... and a lot more.

• RoxRox Frets: 2147
    I'm about to start routing for the first time, and as you say @Strat_a_tat_tat it seems the direction of the rout is very important.  They say always go the opposite way to the turn of the router bit.  Most routers (so I've read) go clockwise, so rout anti-clockwise.

I've had my router for three or four years with zero confidence in giving it a try!!  I really want to get started on getting confident with it.
  • Rox said:

I've had my router for three or four years with zero confidence in giving it a try!!  I really want to get started on getting confident with it.
    Your hesitation is a good thing here!  Shows that you're likely to treat the tool with respect. I have a friend who almost lost all fingers on one hand - from a routing accident.  So it's good to be cautious.  Routers are very useful tools... but you have to do a bit of homework before switching one on.  Good luck.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    I wouldn't necessarily go for a small router either.
    You want something fast and accurate- the quality of the cutter is key.
    I use CMT bits most of the time.

You definitely need to know what you are doing- mistakes could ruin the work or perhaps hurt you.
    Back cutting, for example, is something you need to truly understand before you attempt it.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    Strat_a_tat_tat said: I have a friend who almost lost all fingers on one hand - from a routing accident.  So it's good to be cautious.  
    I shudder to think what happened.
    I've seen some truly horrible router accidents.
    One of the main reasons I signed up for a 3 year degree in guitar building was that I knew I'd be getting a lot of safety information on how to operate a lot of these tools.

Planer/thicnkessers still terrify me, if I am honest.
  • robkayrobkay Frets: 11
    Thanks for your thoughts and ideas, i've used a router to put edges on window sills and round over speaker cabinet edges but thats about it......A joiner friend suggested a laminate trimmer/router may be a better tool for some types of guitar work?
    Thanks
    Rob
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    Rox said:
    I'm about to start routing for the first time, and as you say @Strat_a_tat_tat it seems the direction of the rout is very important.  They say always go the opposite way to the turn of the router bit.  Most routers (so I've read) go clockwise, so rout anti-clockwise.

Rox - you are partly right and partly wrong in your advice.

You have the direction of rotation correct for the cutter 
    If you are routing an EXTERIOR shape - like the perimeter of a guitar body then you do go ANTI-CLOCKWISE

However if routing an INTERNAL shape you will be going CLOCKWISE

So if following a pickup routing template the cut direction  to follow will be CLOCKWISE.

This assumes that the router is above or on top of the workpiece....

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• RoxRox Frets: 2147
    edited July 2014
    Rox said:

Rox - you are partly right and partly wrong in your advice.

You have the direction of rotation correct for the cutter 
    If you are routing an EXTERIOR shape - like the perimeter of a guitar body then you do go ANTI-CLOCKWISE

However if routing an INTERNAL shape you will be going CLOCKWISE

So if following a pickup routing template the cut direction  to follow will be CLOCKWISE.

This assumes that the router is above or on top of the workpiece....
    Makes a change to be at least partly right, usually I'm totally wrong...  :D

And it gets complicated if you're moving round the workpiece too, so I read.  Been reading, but not put anything into practice!  More than happy to learn and listen before I disfigure some poor unfortunate lumber.

Whenever I use any of my power tools, I still have those pictures they used to put up around the woodwork room in school with pictures of all sorts of accidents sticking in my mind!

I have a table saw I use very, very carefully always with a guide block and pusher tool... and I always treat the chop saw very gently... always make sure the blade is up to speed properly, and go nice and slowly and make sure the piece of wood is firmly in place.  And my thumbs aren't within six inches of the damn thing.  :D
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1633

In my last but one job I had use of a 1/2horse drill press with a rack and pinion table and an XY vice.

I use small milling cutters to shape plastics and wood (and if I was VERY careful and VERY slow, aluminium) .

Never tried a guitar body but if it would fit, would have worked.

Dave.