What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• hungrymarkhungrymark Frets: 1782
    Hateful 8 - I liked it, interesting the way he played with switching allegiances both between the characters within the film and the viewers relationship to them.
    Use Your Brian
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    Handsome_Chris;950088" said:
    I've just seen The Revenant. I really wanted to love it but it was just too slow for me. Conversely, I am looking forward to watching The H8ful Eight again.

The Revenant 7/10

H8ful Eight 10/10
    Just back from seeing The Revenant. I liked it, but it's pretty grim at times. 8/10 from me. Tom Hardy definitely needs subtitles.

From the trailers there looks to be some decent films coming up soon: Hail Caesar, Spotlight and Deadpool all look good.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    edited January 2016
    Handsome_Chris;950088" said:
    I've just seen The Revenant. I really wanted to love it but it was just too slow for me.

The Revenant 7/10
    Just saw it this evening and I have to agree. Some excellent bits, but rather predictable and could easily have lost half an hour and been none the worse for it. Good but not great.

I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    First 45 minutes or so of John Wick. I was prepared to see it out to the end but the rest of the family wouldn't. Had the feel of a pilot episode for a series rather than a film in itself but either way total bag of shite. So, gave that up and watched an actual pilot episode instead: Lucifer on Amazon Prime. I'm not an instant convert but MrsTheWeary enjoyed it.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28198
    Spectre

Not bad, not as good as Skyfall and too much trying to have the baddie be bad because of feels rather than just because he's a psycho who wants to take over the world.

I guess it didn't feel very James Bond - more like a bunch of action sequences stitched together with the loosest plot threads they could come up with.
    That doesn't sound promising. I thought Skyfall was the result of one person explaining how James Bond fillums worked to someone else who'd never seen them. Then the latter went and made a fillum. It had all the trappings of a 007 movie but none of the style.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • there looks to be some decent films coming up soon:  Hail Caesar, Spotlight and Deadpool all look good.
      Also, book your tickets now for 'Pride & Prejudice & Zombies'
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28198
    Are they actually doing that?

If so then I greatly look forward to Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Sporky said:
    Spectre

Not bad, not as good as Skyfall and too much trying to have the baddie be bad because of feels rather than just because he's a psycho who wants to take over the world.

I guess it didn't feel very James Bond - more like a bunch of action sequences stitched together with the loosest plot threads they could come up with.
    That doesn't sound promising. I thought Skyfall was the result of one person explaining how James Bond fillums worked to someone else who'd never seen them. Then the latter went and made a fillum. It had all the trappings of a 007 movie but none of the style.
    The plot may have been stuck together with chewing gum but , to me, Spectre certainly felt James Bond. The Craig films have generally been a bit grittier, less super spy than their predecessors but Spectre was more of a return to something you could watch with leftovers curry on Boxing Day, more classic James Bond. Which, probably a negative for me but I could see those who prefer the older films liking this more. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    Sporky said:
    Spectre

I watched Thunderball again the other night when it was on the TV. Even though I've seen it about a dozen times.

It's still brilliant and makes any of the ones from then on look a bit shit, frankly. (Even You Only Live Twice, which is where they started getting silly.)

And it's not even quite as good as From Russia With Love...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24275
    Finally saw The Martian.

Loved it. 9/10
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Bad Grandpa.

V childish. V funny.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10272
    jd0272 said:
    Bad Grandpa.

V childish. V funny.
    Agreed.The pageant scene at the end is one of the funniest things I've ever seen.The look of total horror on the mums faces is just brilliant.They genuinely can't fathom that what they're doing is wrong and to see them get the piss ripped out of them in such an epic way is a joy to behold.

Not to everyone's taste but I loved it and that kid in it is a comedy genius.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11876
    Nikko said:
    Watched 'The Hobbit - Battle of the five armies' last night. Really enjoyed it. I was a massive fan of the LOTR trilogy but I personally think the Hobbit trilogy is much, much better.
    I think you are in the minority there !! :o 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    With LOTR and The Hobbit, I found the first film of both trilogies a struggle, but ended up liking the thing when watched in it's entirety.

The Hobbit is awesome, but after 45 minutes when the Dwarves are still at Bilbo's house, I was ready to shoot someone. Or myself.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3902
    Shallow grave. Old but absolutely brilliant.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    Interstellar

What an odd film. Tedious and irritating, full of massive plot flaws, terrible pseudo-science and uninteresting, annoying characters - I very nearly gave up on it several times, but there was something just compellingly bad enough to keep watching even though I found myself wondering why I was bothering... until close to the end, when it became even more strangely quite good.

If you haven't seen it, if you can stick with it past the first hour and a half, the last hour is worth it.

4/10 or 7/10... I really don't know!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    'PERFUME - Portrait of a Murderer...'

WT??  - What warped mind conjured up this utter nonsense. Nicely shot though...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Visually stunning but the script was a bit poor ;)

It looked like a comic book adaptation if that makes sense

My biggest issue is mumbling dialogue. I have never read Macbeth but know I can usually cope with Shakespeare so was not concerned about going in blind. Nobody ever mumbles Shakespeare on stage though. Much harder to follow when its mumbled
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22826
    WezV said:
    That new version of Macbeth.

Have you seen the Polanski version from 1971?  It's excellent, not totally faithful to the text but all muddy and bloody and dirty and gritty-looking.  And Keith Cheggers is in it.

57Deluxe said:
    'PERFUME - Portrait of a Murderer...'

The book is great, I can't remember whether I liked the film or not.

I watched What We Do in the Shadows.  Never really laugh-out-loud funny, but consistently very amusing.  I liked it a lot.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26994
    ICBM said:
    Interstellar

What an odd film. Tedious and irritating, full of massive plot flaws, terrible pseudo-science and uninteresting, annoying characters - I very nearly gave up on it several times, but there was something just compellingly bad enough to keep watching even though I found myself wondering why I was bothering... until close to the end, when it became even more strangely quite good.

If you haven't seen it, if you can stick with it past the first hour and a half, the last hour is worth it.

4/10 or 7/10... I really don't know!
    Hard to disagree with this. I'm generally a big fan of Nolan (The Prestige is particular is wonderful) but Interstellar is definitely towards the low end of his output. Great spectacle, but nowhere near as clever as it thinks it is.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires