What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    Due to recommendation above I've watched "Kajaki". Story like many others - I, for one, wasn't overly impressed by that picture. Team Para3 goes for a mission, they don't look very well prepared, not they have done their recon. Trapped between the mines - trying to take care of the wounded - I liked that bit, but all in all - quite average movie. 5/10.
    Agree about the cast though - the acting was all right (mainly calligraphy each other 'dicks/twats/cunts/poofs).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22821
    edited March 2016
    I watched Inglourious Basterds on the telly last night.  I'm only 7 years behind the times....

Anyway, I thought it was quite good.  A remarkable amount of the running time seems to be taken up by setpieces involving people having long, tense conversations whilst sitting around tables, often culminating in a brief burst of violence.  But by Tarantino standards it's not very show-offy or self-indulgent.  I liked the ludicrous way they re-wrote history at the end.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Finally got to see Deadpool, great film. Entertaining, funny, romantic, excellently paced. Finally a "super hero" film for grown ups.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Dolphin Tale, then Dolphin Tale 2.

I hadn't really heard about these before but noticed the first one on Amazon Prime. Dramatised story of a real dolphin rescue and rehabilitation with a prosthetic tale...quite amazing really, and decent family films.

My kids are now pestering me to take them to Florida to see them in person!

• On a business trip to Aberdeen, so to amuse myself went to watch Eddie the Eagle at the cinema last night. It's quite good if a bit cartoon-y. It's by the same team who did Kick Ass and Kingsmen and it shows in some of the camera work and set pieces. Taron Egerton is very good and Hugh Jackman is fairly inoffensive too. 
    "As with all things, some days you're the dinosaur, some days you're the monkey." Sporky
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    not_the_dj;1020133" said:

I hadn't really heard about these before but noticed the first one on Amazon Prime. Dramatised story of a real dolphin rescue and rehabilitation with a prosthetic tale...quite amazing really, and decent family films.

We saw the dolphin, I think it's in an aquarium at St Pete's. Tbh, it's a very small place and there's not a lot there apart from turtles and some rays that you can "pet". If your kids are really into the dolphin film then I guess nothing is going to put them off wanting to see that particular one, but honestly Sea World is a whole lot better (especially now they're winding down the Shamu abuse/shows).
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    boogieman said:
    not_the_dj;1020133" said:

We saw the dolphin, I think it's in an aquarium at St Pete's. Tbh, it's a very small place and there's not a lot there apart from turtles and some rays that you can "pet". If your kids are really into the dolphin film then I guess nothing is going to put them off wanting to see that particular one, but honestly Sea World is a whole lot better (especially now they're winding down the Shamu abuse/shows).
    Yeah that's the place, they actually filmed the films there.....still it's very very unlikely we'll be going on holiday to Florida anytime soon....they'll just have to make do with the webcams to see Winter and Hope.
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    edited March 2016
    I went to see "London has fallen" with guy from work yesterday. Movie wouldn't be my first choice as I'm yet to see "Deadpool" but I enjoyed it.
    Pretty much the exact copy of "Olympus has fallen" with same cast and plot, but set in English capitol city. SFX were Ok and lots of shooting and explosions, although I probably wouldn't enjoy it that much on smaller screen.
    I've got a feeling there will be more movies coming up from this franchise ;)

6/10
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10272
    Watched Re-animator for the first time in years.Still as smart and funny as I remember it back in the day and the female lead is every bit as cute as I remember.

My son wanted to watch A Nightmare on Elm Street as he's never seen it and I must admit it has aged terribly.In retrospect it's a pretty poor film really IMO.Even my son said he didn't want to watch any more because the first one was so pants.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22821
    Watched Re-animator for the first time in years.Still as smart and funny as I remember it back in the day and the female lead is every bit as cute as I remember.

Barbara Crampton.  Something of an icon in the horror movie community!  She was a special guest at Frightfest last summer and appeared in no less than four of the films being shown.  She seems a very nice lady, not at all "Hollywood".  And still looking good at 57.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10272
    I must admit to Googling her to see what else she'd been in @Philly_Q and I agree,she's certainly still a looker.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26994
    edited April 2016
    Deadpool 6.5/10

I know lots of people loved it but it didn't do much for me tbh. I'd rather watch a straight comedy for laughs or a more-straight Marvel/X-men for comic stuff.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • racefaceec90racefaceec90 Frets: 996
    edited April 2016
    i watched prometheus last week.

hmmm 
    :-/

visuals were fantastic,but the story 
    =):-/  :\">  :x  :((  
    and as for the thought that the alien would descend from a giant octopus/squid thing. 
    :x
    i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

• dtrdtr Frets: 1037
    Really enjoyed 10 Cloverfield Lane. Good as a tense Hitchkockian psychological drama, not completely sold on the ending. Thought John Goodman was great.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    Identity Thief. Bit cheesy and you could spot the ending miles off but Melissa McCarthy does a great job and there's some genuine laugh out loud moments.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Meat Loaf in and out of hell. Not sure if it qualifies as a fillum but it continues my viewing of stuff about sad singers. The bit with Margaret at the end made me cry. Only an hour, recommended off the iplayer.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Jurassic World. Bit of a whizz bang Sunday afternoon fillum. If shite in many, many ways.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    I was trawling through films in KODI & just couldn't decide what to watch so I just closed my eyes & clicked the mouse. "Left Behind" with Nic Cage. What a turd of a film. I've seen better acting in Corrie.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72337
    hotpot said:
    I was trawling through films in KODI & just couldn't decide what to watch so I just closed my eyes & clicked the mouse. "Left Behind" with Nic Cage. What a turd of a film. I've seen better acting in Corrie.
    Given his utter lack of acting ability, I've always wondered how Nicholas Coppola Cage managed to become successful in Hollywood.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Knock Knock. Keanu Reeves makes Nic Cage look like Marlon feckin Brando. Quite entertaining in its own way though.