What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26993
    edited June 2016
    Batman v Superman: Ultimate Edition 4/10

By all accounts this is apparently much better than the theatrical version, which I haven't seen. This can only mean the theatrical version is plain godawful because this is still a pretty sucky movie. Cheesy non-believable CGI, HAM everywhere from all parties, and so much foreshadowing and deconstruction they forgot to include any real plot to speak of beyond "Batman and Superman will fight in this movie".

I will probably watch it again out of pure masochism, but really... Yeurgh.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    edited June 2016
    Bad Words, Trainwreck and Straight Outta Compton.
    Enjoyed them all.
  • watched Eye in the Sky yesterday, thoroughly enjoyed it 1hr 40 mins seemed to fly by.. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72330
    The Secret Life Of Pets with my kids.

OK… there is a limit to how far you can stretch these cutesy animated things before it starts to get silly. This one is well beyond that point. Ludicrous plot, not as funny as it seems from the trailers (which concentrate on the comic vignette bits) and a lot of stuff which is just clichéd even by the fairly low standards of this genre.

Youngest kid (9) liked it, the older ones thought it was a waste of an hour and a half even though they knew they were going to see something a bit 'childish' for them (they like that sometimes).

3/10

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    The Danish girl, I couldn't make up my mind what to watch so it was a close eyes & click on a film in KODI.
    not my type of film at all but very compelling & beautifully shot in some fantastic locations.
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    Independence Day - Resurgence.  It was ok.  Lots of action, not much else really.  

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405

Green Room :

A punk band pays a gig at a red neck bar owner by a white supremacist  and staffed by skinheads. They see something they shouldn't and it all goes bad from there. Bit violent but not a bad film,  7 out of 10

Night Owls :

A guy has to babysit a scorned suicidal women in a high profile coachs house

Some funny bits, 6 out of 10

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24272
    Whiplash.

Loved it. Simmons was excellently nasty. 9/10
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Independence Day - lots of fun
    play every note as if it were your first
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1841

Saw Deadpool last night.

Very funny and entertaining. Good to see a Superhero film that didn't take itself (at all) seriously and didn't have an enormous ensemble cast.

I'd recommend it if you like gross humour, graphic violence, constant wisecracking and don't mind the forth wall being torn down.

Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited July 2016
    Flicking through Amazon prime movies last night we came across "Begin Again" A bit like Once, a sort of not quite rom com/not quite comedy film about a singer/songwritter and a chance meeting with an old school record label guy....plus an ex boyfriend making it big but loosing artistic integrity. Decent songs (written by Gregg Alexander and it shows) Pretty enjoyable if not ground breaking...and of course there's some "she's not really playing that guitar" moments, but still we enjoyed it. Rubbish title for a film though, apparently the working title was "Can a song save your life?" which I think is much better.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28175
    Grabbers.

Low budget Irish fillum about invading monsters and being drunk.

Thoroughly enjoyable. Very funny.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    We had The Dark Knight Rises on the other night. I'd seen it before but it was new to MrsTheWeary who only persevered for a bit. It becomes deeply tedious,  shame as otherwise it has things I like about it and much less 'ooh CGI flying thing'  than some other superhero films. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    Flicking through Amazon prime movies last night we came across "Begin Again" A bit like Once, a sort of not quite rom com/not quite comedy film about a singer/songwritter and a chance meeting with an old school record label guy....plus an ex boyfriend making it big but loosing artistic integrity. Decent songs (written by Gregg Alexander and it shows) Pretty enjoyable if not ground breaking...and of course there's some "she's not really playing that guitar" moments, but still we enjoyed it. Rubbish title for a film though, apparently the working title was "Can a song save your life?" which I think is much better.
    Yeah I saw that, wasn't the guy from Maroon 5 the boyfriend ?
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Tuscan777Tuscan777 Frets: 125
    Deadpool - so wanted to love it, just about liked it. It's just Ryan Reynolds dicking about isn't it?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Danny1969 said:
    Yeah I saw that, wasn't the guy from Maroon 5 the boyfriend ?
    I am aware of the band Maroon 5 but I couldn't say I would recognise any of them. He's certainly the one that seemed most natural singing.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24272
    Tuscan777 said:
    Deadpool - so wanted to love it, just about liked it. It's just Ryan Reynolds dicking about isn't it?

Well, it's Ryan Reynolds doing a very accurate performance of Deadpool from the comics.

But - yeah. It's the same thing really. Except with less violence than the comics.
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    edited July 2016
    Tuscan777 said:

Well, it's Ryan Reynolds doing a very accurate performance of Deadpool from the comics.

But - yeah. It's the same thing really. Except with less violence than the comics.
    I thought the Deadpool film was ok, I didn't find it that funny to be honest with you.  I recently watched Central Intelligence and though it was a lot funnier than Deadpool - and it had more action.  
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26993
    Agree with @bingefeller on Deadpool. It was fine but hardly the second coming everyone seems to have it pegged as (no pun intended).

I just watched Twelve Monkeys. A bit meh. Much like the 5th Element in that I appreciate why people like it but it doesn't click for me 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    Captain Avengers Civil War

A wee bit long but pretty good overall. Liked the introduction of a few more characters, Spidey was probably the highlight, much better than previous versions. Ant Man bought a touch of humour and Black Panther was OK apart  from his ropey accent every now and again. Winter Soldier is still my favourite though. 
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....