What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    Crimson Peak

Guillermo del Toro gothic horror mystery… as usual for him visually striking, but it's a bit too campy/cartoony gothic and not as scary or mysterious as it could have been. Some of the CGI is very good but the characters are a bit too flat and predictable really, as is the ending.

7/10, mostly for the imagery.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Secret in Their Eyes, thoroughly enjoyed it outstanding performance from Julia Roberts, well worth a look in.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3902
    Jason Bourne - Rubbish

Interstellar - Awesome

The Magnificent Seven (2016) - Awesome
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22826
    Secret in Their Eyes, thoroughly enjoyed it outstanding performance from Julia Roberts, well worth a look in.

Everybody always ignores me when I ask questions like this, but what the hell.....

Have you seen the original version from Argentina (winner of the Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film in 2009, I think)?  It's very good.

• Philly_Q said:
    Secret in Their Eyes, thoroughly enjoyed it outstanding performance from Julia Roberts, well worth a look in.

Everybody always ignores me when I ask questions like this, but what the hell.....

Have you seen the original version from Argentina (winner of the Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film in 2009, I think)?  It's very good.

Did you say something? :)

i have not no and if it is Spanish with English subs I wouldn't be able to connect with the visuals.

• I was dreaming last night about going on holiday to Argentina and there's nothing like a subtitled film to make you look smarter than what you am. I shall look out for it.

Philly_Q said:

i have not no and if it is Spanish with English subs I wouldn't be able to connect with the visuals.

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24275
    Ghostbusters 2016.

Disappointing.

Liked the Belushi tribute though.
  • Philly_Q said:

Have you seen the original version from Argentina (winner of the Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film in 2009, I think)?  It's very good

I did see the original and it's way better than the american version. Which is quite often the casem
    Philly_Q said:

Fair enough if you find subtitles distracting, I watch a lot of foreign language films and they never bother me.  

The only exception being Last Year at Marienbad, the subs really do spoil the mood in that one.  I have to watch it in French and just put up with not understanding most of the dialogue.

As @BigBearKris says, the originals are usually better than the remakes.
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3453
    Swiss Army man, what the hell was that all about then?

A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • IvanMCIvanMC Frets: 91
    I saw The Business last Friday. Drugs, violence, 80s. It was a nice one for an exhausting week. Some grub made the movie a tad better... 6/10. The Secret in Their Eyes is one of the best movies - ever. Literally. My humble opinion. I'm talking about the one from Argentina. Supreme atmosphere. Profound. Great acting. I don't know about those distracting subs. 10/10. The American version, strangely enough, was a huge disappointment.
  • My Scientology Movie. 

I got a bit fed up with it but not terrible. Can't say I know a lot more about Scientology now though. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 

• Finding Dory. Not Pixar at their most brilliant but still very enjoyable. Having the voices of Jay and Phil from Modern Family was great and Ed O'Neill arguably carries the film as much as Ellen Degeneres.
    "As with all things, some days you're the dinosaur, some days you're the monkey." Sporky
  • My Scientology Movie. 

I got a bit fed up with it but not terrible. Can't say I know a lot more about Scientology now though. 

If you get a chance - HBO's "Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief" is SO MUCH better. Very well produced and quite informative too. Really good documentary and I highly recommend.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    Deadpool. A great romp.
    Snap said:
    Deadpool. A great romp.
    I watched that last week.  To begin with the constant wisecracking was a little tiresome, but it is very entertaining.  Shame the actual storyline isn't a little more interesting, but nice to see a Marvel film with some swearing, sex and violence.  I think Ryan Reynolds himself deserves a lot of credit, he's a very witty, charismatic chap.

• Recently I've watched two films that other people have told me are crap.

1) Dad's Army - Not crap. I mean, not great - but I thought the new cast did justice to the old characters - and it was nice to see them all again. The story was a bit flimsy, but then the TV series was hardly Vonnegut-esque in the first place!

and,

2) The Lone Ranger - Not crap either ...well, sort of. The first two thirds are pretty good, the story of The Lone Rangers' origin is well-told and the conceit behind Tonto's motives are deftly explained, it's funny in places - and the vistas are jaw-droppingly beautiful ...but there's a point in the movie, about 30 minutes from the end, where somebody on the production staff clearly said, "Balls! We've completely forgotten to spend a shit-ton of money on a needless (and needlessly expensive), pointless and nonsensical, painfully long, pile of old wank CGI action scene!" ...and a (half) decent Western turns to complete shit before your eyes. Sad really...
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
  • Recently I've watched two films that other people have told me are crap.

1) Dad's Army - Not crap. I mean, not great - but I thought the new cast did justice to the old characters - and it was nice to see them all again. The story was a bit flimsy, but then the TV series was hardly Vonnegut-esque in the first place!

+1. We watched Dad's Army a while back. Very nice film. We were planning on watching Dead Pool but I put the trailer on first ... didn't get more than 90 seconds into it before I wanted to shoot the TV.

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    Allied

Now I know @Handsome_Chris is going to disagree with me on this.....I walked out half way through. I really could not stand it. It was so naff.....and Brad Pitt speaking French.....One scene in particular was the straw that broke the camels back for me. The leading lady giving birth in the middle of the street in the midsts of the Blitz....
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    My Scientology Movie. 

If you get a chance - HBO's "Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief" is SO MUCH better. Very well produced and quite informative too. Really good documentary and I highly recommend.
    Going Clear is a great documentary. Well worth checking out.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it