Tab, I hate it but have the answer

What's Hot
Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10406

I am really starting to detest having to work with people who don't know where the poxy notes are on a guitar ...... I can't just say it's a riff of A, C and D for example I have to tell em the fret numbers and what string! This is really annoying so I though why don't they write tab like this : 

..........................3C..........5D....................
................5A.......................................

Then surely after playing 5D  for the ninth time on the 5th fret A string they will just remember it as D. They can then just remember playing 17C on the G string as just C ......... they would know where the notes are at last wouldn't they ?

Am I a genius or has this already been tried ? 
www.2020studios.co.uk 
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7287
    The fret number and string alone doesn't determine the note name.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    I like the tab where they include the timing, like this:

http://www.guitarnick.com/images/silent-night-fingerstyle-guitar-tab-2.png

I really don't like proper notation for guitar cos it's easy to end up in the wrong position. And it's not clear if the guitar should be re-tuned, and if it is that messes me up trying to read it.

I like your idea. Every guitarist should know their notes!
    All practice and no theory
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10406
    It does if the open note tuning is given at the start of the piece such as :

e
    b
    g
    d
    a
    e

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    Danny1969 said:
    It does if the open note tuning is given at the start of the piece such as :
    I'm guessing it's more like PM meant something like, "If you're playing in the key of G then that note is F# not Gb" even though they sound the same pitch, and even though you could do it in tab to a specific song.  But you'd get someone going "how come these two different songs have different Tab notes for (say) the second fret of the E string?"

Or something.

Well Gb and F# is exactly the same pitch on a guitar \ piano so that would be something else they learned. Put the key at the beginning of the piece and use the appropriate flat \ sharp if need be  
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • What's wrong with proper notation? If a particular fingering or position is required there are accepted ways to notate it. I really don't understand this resistance to musical notation. Learn any orchestral instrument and it is a given that you'll learn the notation along with it. MAN UP AND LEARN TO READ!!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    What's wrong with proper notation? If a particular fingering or position is required there are accepted ways to notate it. I really don't understand this resistance to musical notation. Learn any orchestral instrument and it is a given that you'll learn the notation along with it. MAN UP AND LEARN TO READ!!
    Yes that would be good ... I can read the dots though not at great speed but I'm just thinking of ways for the tab dependent people to at least know what notes they are playing.  
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    My ex-teacher made me learn the note names in standard tuning. Best thing for it. He did also make me play random chords, saying each note name in turn, which has helped I think.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    I like it.  It'll teach the note names, but not how to read.

There is an issue with notation - the guitar isn't linear like say a trumpet or sax.  All the orchestral stringed instruments are tuned in 4ths, so follow a single pattern. But on the other hand learn to read once and it's done.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    edited August 2014
    It's weird though because even if I'm playing in another tuning I use the note names as if they were in standard tuning. which isnt a problem for a rock band where everyone is tuned the same but I imagine it would confuse the fuck out of a keyboard player :)

I don't think the note names are that important for tab though, I mean something like this just looks really unclear:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ------------------------------------------------3Bh5C#-----------------------------------------
    -0C#0C#0C#--0C#0C#-0C#--0C#------------------------------------------------------
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26581
    What's wrong with proper notation? If a particular fingering or position is required there are accepted ways to notate it. I really don't understand this resistance to musical notation. Learn any orchestral instrument and it is a given that you'll learn the notation along with it. MAN UP AND LEARN TO READ!!
    Meh...musical notation is a fad. You want to be a real man? Learn how the ancient Greeks did it.

<space for hire>

I just want people to know where the notes are otherwise communicating parts to them is a time consuming process. If your in a drop tuning you point that out and adjust  .......... because as it is standard tab would be wrong on dropped tunings unless  it's pointed out at the start of the piece .......... 

Everything is relative anyway, my keyboard is tuned down a half step so it's in tune with the rest of the band. I know when I'm playing an E it's actually an Eb but you can ignore that if everyone's down the same half step
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Danny1969 said:

I just want people to know where the notes are otherwise communicating parts to them is a time consuming process.
    How many other guitarists are you working with?
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3450
    It's called playing a transposing instrument. :)
    frankus said:
    Danny1969 said:

I just want people to know where the notes are otherwise communicating parts to them is a time consuming process.
    How many other guitarists are you working with?
    I work in a studio producing music so a lot. Now a lot of them have a good understanding of the fretboard but a lot don't  ..... so instead of asking a guitarist  to repeat the c, b, a, g,e rundown for instance I have to mentally picture the frets and call them out ... but that only works if they are using the same voicing I'm picturing in my head. Half the time I just whistle it in the talk back mic
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    I tend to identify parts like that structurally rather than with their content. So it would be "Repeat the lead fill in between the verse and the pre-chorus".

Or perhaps more vaguely.... do that bit just before the machinehead type riff again.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    See, I'd have the Key and tuning at the top of the tab, and then only notate the whole tone notes. so leave the #'s and b's out as they can be either. it'd be tidier that way.
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Meh...musical notation is a fad. You want to be a real man? Learn how the ancient Greeks did it.

Sheesh ! :-O
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback