Bargain NGD - impulse, bad timing content (NOW WITH ADDED OIL CITY)

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• bigfuzzbigfuzz Frets: 45
    now this has caught my eye... is the pup worth keeping or do we think it will need something with more meat?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    To be honest, I'll leave the refund because I made an offer and got it for £20 cheaper anyway, and considering how much cheaper it is than it was new I'm not too bothered. I'll just swap the pickup out.

I'm absolutely loving the rest of the guitar, it's fantastic.

Apart from the fake wear. Jesus.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • bigfuzzbigfuzz Frets: 45
    @bucket i played one of the VS6 (?) the cherry red SG types, the more traditional looking version. I thought it played really well, wouldn't mind checking out one of these..
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2357
    Bucket said:
    Apart from the fake wear. Jesus.
    LOL

I really don't like relics, and poor quality relics are even worse.

I might change my tune if I tried it and it was badass, of course.
    edited August 2014
    Dave_Mc said:

Unplugged, it's badass enough and cheap enough that I don't give two splats of a homeless junkie's vomit* about the relicing.

Plugged in, I suspect the story will be much the same once it's got a decent pickup in it.

*copyright Steve Albini
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    Pimp it.

:D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    edited August 2014
    At that price it's worth sticking decent pots and caps in and getting a nice upgraded p90. ISTR some of the wilkinson 90's are not bad, I swapped the one on my old double cut vintage for a Fralin. At first listen it was not some sonic revelation but as your ears adjust after a couple of weeks you realise how much better note Separation is and how much better a decent pickup handles drive, I swapped it back after a month to hear the difference going back sounded like a box of spanner. The p90 is a pretty simple pickup a load of wire wrapped around a couple of magnets I reckon hand rewinding the wilkinson would be a decent enough upgrade mine came with alnico 5 magnets but was short on turns in comparison to an original.
    @bucket I might have a spare switchcraft jack. If I do (will look after work tomorrow) I'll post it to you :)
    That'd be brilliant!
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10384
    tFB Trader
     The p90 is a pretty simple pickup a load of wire wrapped around a couple of magnets I reckon hand rewinding the wilkinson would be a decent enough upgrade mine came with alnico 5 magnets but was short on turns in comparison to an original.
    One of the easiest pickups to make ... and one of the easiest to f--k up entirely! Magnet choice, bobbin dimension (many far eastern ones are shallower than the original and so more bass happy) wire grade, winding pattern etc are all super critical on a P90. Over winding is the kiss of death, as is messing too much with wire grade ... that is if you want a traditional P90 sound.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

Bucket said:
    Dave_Mc said:

Unplugged, it's badass enough and cheap enough that I don't give two splats of a homeless junkie's vomit* about the relicing.

Plugged in, I suspect the story will be much the same once it's got a decent pickup in it.

*copyright Steve Albini
    Yeah :))
  • Okay @bucket, I can't look tonight as I've decided to stay on for a long day and will be in bed as soon as I'm home! I'll look in the morning and get back then :)
    edited October 2014
    I'm bumping this thread because this guitar's potential has finally been unlocked.

First of all, it's now got my preferred Elixir 9-46s on it and feels miles better than it did with grubby 10s.

Second of all, His Tonefulness @TheGuitarWeasel at Oil City has wound me a superb new pickup for it. It's a prototype for a new model of P-90 he's been working on, and bloody good it is too. Yet another glowing review for Oil City coming up...

Ash gave me the impression that it's fairly hot for a P-90, and of course I trust his judgement - I don't have much experience with P-90s myself, but while it's obviously not as hot as the high-output humbuckers in most of my guitars, it soundly kicks the crap out of my Jazzmaster or my dad's blue Tele for volume. And the tone is glorious - full-sounding but still nice and snarly - and it's one of the only single-coils of any kind that I've come across which sounds genuinely awesome with a shitload of metal-style distortion on it. I can see why Steven from LostAlone favours SGs with P-90s. Guitars of this type have a sound you just don't find anywhere else.

I'm just so pleased to finally be able to use it like I'd wanted to all along. I'll have a hard time putting it down. Thanks Ash!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ^ Nice :D
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10384
    tFB Trader
    Glad you like the pickup Connor, It's called an ASL Jin-Go ... and features some cleaver internal stuff to 'age' the magnets artificially :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message