Fixing a pushed-in / dented dust cap on a speaker

What's Hot
EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
edited September 2013 in Amps
I took the grill off my amp today, to find that someone had smooshed the speaker's dust cap right in good and proper. Thought I'd share the approach I took to un-dent it.

There's stuff called black-tack - it's like a feral, vicious version of blu-tack, but if you haven't got any I suspect blu-tack will work just as well. You could even use a loop of gaffer tape, or anything with similar adhesive properties.

I got a little lump of it, and gently massaged it into the middle of the dust cap. Pressure, movement and time all cause this kind of adhesive to stick more, so you can be gentle enough to not press too hard on the dust cap, and still make it stick well. 

When you think you've got a good connection, just pull, and the dust cap will pop out. (You will, of course, do this in such a way as to not pull any further than you need to) 

You may find that there are some sub-dents left over. You can just pull these out in the same way until your speaker looks good as new. 

BOOM.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10691
    I hoovered mine out recently.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • There's something about them that little fingers feel the need to press in... I protected the soft dome tweeters on my hi-fi with grilles but one of my nieces couldn't resist pushing in the tweeter of my Tannoy Reveals a couple of years ago. Sucked it out with a Dyson, but you have to be very careful.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionic;30250" said:
    Sucked it out with a Dyson, but you have to be very careful.
    Did exactly the same thing with a pair of Naim IBLs that my son poked the tweeters in on, when he was 18 months old.... Although I don't use them anymore, they worked perfectly afterwards.
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
     Sucked it out with a Dyson, but you have to be very careful.
    I'm not sure that this is the right forum to be sharing these private moments!  :-O
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I just need to press them when I see them. I don't know if it affects the speaker, but... It's so satisfying.

Who would have thought playing with smooth round things would be fun?
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 557
    edited September 2013

Love the hoover idea, I have used those little 'sucker' things for pulling/ lifting  smooth objects out of tight places like recessed lamps, but that wouldn't work on fabric speaker cones.

Just have to go easy on the suck I guess!

• +1 for the Hoover trick. As my mrs was hoovering the front room, I noticed one of my hifi speakers had been duffed in probably by one of the kids. As I was putting up an argument to sell the boy to replace the damaged speakers, she just pointed Henry towards the speaker and sucked it right back out. Very impressed,for a girl!
    The Swamp City Shakers
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bandmaster188bandmaster188 Frets: 391
    edited September 2013
    The Swamp City Shakers